Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsgames in pub

Options
  • 15-11-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hey folks I am thinking of starting a fortnightly/monthly boardgames group that would meet in a pub. As such I am looking for suggestions for quietish pubs that might be good venues to host/let us avail of their space in return for depleting the drinks cellar:).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

What night of the week were you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

The Salthouse has a collection of chess and jenga sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

The Cottage in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭grosser

id be looking at more intricate games and jenga:) not sure what night but sundays during the day or friday eves ideally as i work weekdays.the oslo jumps to mind as has the cottage

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

not really a board game, but what about twister?

• Advertisement

You mean human jenga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Kellys have a selection of board games, trivial pursuit being one of the more "intricate". (Wherever you go bring Trivial Pursuit)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

cranium-board-game.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sundays afternoons are a better bet imo, as a lot of pubs would already have a clientele on Friday nights so it wouldn't necessarily be in their favour to block off an area for a new event. Blue Note have games already, might be a good spot? Or the Townhouse?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The Salthouse on raven terrace, nice big tables in there, clientèle less likely to object to boardgames being played there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

There is a board games group that meets in 091 Labs on Flood St. on Fridays (last I checked).

Not a big board games fan but they are a nice bunch and they have a big selection of games.

They collect €2 from everyone each night and put it towards new games. First night is free.

You might know this already :)

There is a board games group that meets in 091 Labs on Flood St. on Fridays (last I checked).

Not a big board games fan but they are a nice bunch and they have a big selection of games.

They collect €2 from everyone each night and put it towards new games. First night is free.

You might know this already :)

Yeah i Used to go to that one, good group but i was looking for something in a pub with a bit more room.

Thanks for all replies so far, much appreciated.

also i am open to the idea of forming a boardgames group much like a book club where we could alternate venue etc and introduce games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

As long as alcohol is involved I'm up for it.

anyone who is interested please pm me and we can discuss ideas etc.I have a collection of games already.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This sounds like a great idea! :)
    I'm only new to Galway so I wouldn't know many venues to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

grosser wrote: »
    Yeah i Used to go to that one, good group but i was looking for something in a pub with a bit more room.

Thanks for all replies so far, much appreciated.

Fair enough, strange though, I thought there would have been more than enough room in 091 Labs. They aren't above Kennedy's now you know?

They are close to the small charcoal grill beside the old malt arcade.

No policy on alcohol in the labs either I don't think, they actually brew stuff iirc.

Best of luck with it anyway.

Advertisement