Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting an org.... some questions :)

Options
  • 15-11-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I need some guidance.

Im about to start an organisation. Im just not sure how to keep myself right legally and with the tax man.

This organisation is to help teens who left school early or at high risk of leaving early.

I talked to a local school and they are completely onboard and will let me use their facilities along with 2 community centers.

I also secured funding from a local person who is going to donate 5K for a small van and possibly another person whos going to donate 1K for general use and we have roughly 2K in smaller donations waiting and ready to be officially handed over.

We dont charge for our services but are very open to donations from anybody and everybody.

Its worth noting that I personally (or anybody else for that matter) wont profit from this project, although we will take some expenses just so we arent out of pocket.

Heres where I need some clarification

1) Im currently in training at the minute and unless I get a job offer in the mean time I'll be going back onto SW in Feb/Mar next year.

How do I set this up in such a way that it wont interfere with me getting back onto SW (Basically I dont want to be told something like, "we see you own an organisation worth about 10K your not eligible for SW- theres the door".

2) Tax/Insurance on a van- obviously tradesmen are able to tax/insure themselves commercially and get cheaper is there an equivalent for a non profit organisation like ours? Our could we even go commercial? I was looking at private tax and its just not worth it. I wouldnt be able to justify it.

Advertisement