Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor wifi signal on laptop

Options
  • 15-11-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to improve the wifi signal on a new laptop I bought. It frequently drops the connection or just performs very poorly. My old 6 year old toshiba doesn't have any issues, and would have full signal beside it, while the new machine gets 3/5 bars at best, and every other computer/phone in the house connects without problem. The machine is a lenovo z585, card is Qualcomm Atheros ar9485wb-eg wireless network adapter, updated to the latest driver which is 10.0.0.263. The system is Windows 8.1 64 bit, 8gb ram, AMD A10-4600M APU 2.3Ghz processor. The router is eircoms zyxel P-660.

I asked on lenovos own site but the support was useless. So far I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, trying different driver versions, switching the antenna on the wireless card, changing the power options by unticking the box that allows windows to turn of the device, turned off bluetooth, changed channels on the router, although there are no other networks in range.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement