Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arklow One Way System

• 15-11-2013 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Just came back from Dublin. Who's idea was that and how did they manage to execute it in such an impressively shit manner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

It is an absolute joke, you only have to read the comments on some of the local fb pages to see how ridiculous it is. It was supposed to increase footfall on the main street but has had the opposite effect the street is like a ghost-town, traffic has been directed through a carpark and past a little boys school. They still havent put in the zebra crossing at the school so you have to cross the busier rd to get to it. They also havent thought about pedestrians (who should be that footfall they want/ expected) who now have to cross a main rd at a couple of junctions that drivers are having difficulty turning and are having to use the paths ( yes the drivers not pedestrians) in order to get around the corners. And its supposed to be a 3 month trial. Lets see what happens from tomorrow when they remove the men directing traffic at the junctions. it will also be very interesting to see what happens when the rd at the brook floods and there is nowhere for the traffic to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

you should try drive a truck through the town!! aint one bit funny when trying to deliver to convenience shops!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Apparently there's a public meeting tomorrow in protest of the one-way system.

http://www.wicklownews.net/public-to-protest-arklow-one-way-system/

it seems the poll on the website link in post above 80% of people are against the one way system, also inoticed they are after putting down "temporary" lol concrete around the one way system, this says to me they never had any intention of only having it as a trial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

Any update on the one-way system? Pass through once per week. Has footfall in the main street improved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Had the "pleasure" of driving through the one way system a few times yesterday. Not impressed at all. The turn into Laffins Lane (carpark) has some new sort of "chicane" ? - to twist and presumably slow traffic, It must be hell for lorries and busses. It confused the driver in front of me who drove in behind a parked car thinking it was a traffic queue and then pulled straight out again. The traffic priority signs coming out of the car park are poor enough too. The whole thing seems very amateurish and "temporary". Coming back down Main St we met a car coming the wrong way up the street! Mentioned it to a cousin later who said its such a common happening that no-one comments much any more.
    Walking in the town later I thought cars coming down Main St were going much faster than before - but main impression was how quiet the place was.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Had the "pleasure" of driving through the one way system a few times yesterday. Not impressed at all. The turn into Laffins Lane (carpark) has some new sort of "chicane" ? - to twist and presumably slow traffic, It must be hell for lorries and busses. It confused the driver in front of me who drove in behind a parked car thinking it was a traffic queue and then pulled straight out again. The traffic priority signs coming out of the car park are poor enough too. The whole thing seems very amateurish and "temporary". Coming back down Main St we met a car coming the wrong way up the street! Mentioned it to a cousin later who said its such a common happening that no-one comments much any more.
    Walking in the town later I thought cars coming down Main St were going much faster than before - but main impression was how quiet the place was.
    its gonna finish off a dieing town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

I don't know why it wasnt combined with some raised zebra crossing at two points on the main street, and at funky box corner (that's a lethal crossing now)

People have to decide if they want a traffic thoroughfare or a shopping street.

But at the moment, there's neither. I've only travelled a few times since it changed, and if I can see this, the local councillors must really be asleep:)

Advertisement