Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast

• 15-11-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Looking to pick this up for someone who has a HDTV, an iPhone and Netflix (well, it's actually my Netflix account that they use). Presume all that's okay and it will be dead simple to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Chrome cast has nothing to do with an iPhone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yes - works with the iPhone, I got one about a month ago.
    Just load the app and control it from that.

etxp wrote: »

Controlled by smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

ATV FTW.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Indeed, i got mine last night. Doesn't really do very much, does it?

At least it plays nice with the new Google Play app released for iOS today.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »

What's that app called? Is it in the irish store?

7upfree wrote: »
    ATV FTW.:)

Apple TV would be allot better purchase, way easier to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about.

OP - Yeah that would work. He uses his iPhone as remote control with the Netflix app to choose what he wants to watch and then with Chromecast plugged into the tv it works just fine.

Also works for the YouTube app on iPhones which is a great feature.

You can also use it to display the Chrome web browser but that's in Beta right now and isn't anywhere near as good as AirPlay, yet.

I would say go for it over Apple TV because it's compatible with more devices and should be able to do more down the line. Also it's cheaper.

jamesd wrote: »
    What's that app called? Is it in the irish store?

Play Music.

Aodhagan wrote: »

OP - Yeah that would work. He uses his iPhone as remote control with the Netflix app to choose what he wants to watch and then with Chromecast plugged into the tv it works just fine.

Also works for the YouTube app on iPhones which is a great feature.

You can also use it to display the Chrome web browser but that's in Beta right now and isn't anywhere near as good as AirPlay, yet.

I would say go for it over Apple TV because it's compatible with more devices and should be able to do more down the line. Also it's cheaper.

Use it all the time. So user friendly. And someone was in our house with an S4 recently who could also access it through an Android app.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »

Is it similar to ATV?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Aodhagan wrote: »

i know it works with smartphones and i know that you can use it with the iphone, i just fail to see why we are talking about a google product in the Apple section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

i know it works with smartphones and i know that you can use it with the iphone, i just fail to see why we are talking about a google product in the Apple section.

Because the OP wants to know how it works with an iPhone.

@OP
    I have an iPhone and a chromecast. It works great with Netflix, YouTube and Google Music and will hopefully get a lot better when Google make the SDK public which will allow developers make their apps work with chromecast. The SDK is still in beta which is why their are so few apps at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

i just fail to see why we are talking about a google product in the Apple section.

Nobody likes a backseat mod. Report a post if you have an issue with it.

Thread is fine here — OP enquired about using Chromecast with an iPhone. Seems pretty relevant to me.

sorry Mr Moderator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Using netflix with Chromecast, doesn't that stream the info via wi-fi to your Chromecast, and rather than streaming your screen to the Tv, your streaming the content over the internet?

In that case its not like the Apple TV, as the Apple TV streams and mirrors your phone/ipad/Mac/pc over over your internal wi-fi.

Correct me here if I'm wrong.

If you watch netflix or a movie on Apple TV it comes off Internet, you can also mirror or airplay from you idevice to the Apple TV too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

jamesd wrote: »
    If you watch netflix or a movie on Apple TV it comes off Internet, you can also mirror or airplay from you idevice to the Apple TV too.

Yes so on the Chromecast its not possible to mirror your Device, rather stream certain content instead

You can mirror but from a laptop or PC with chrome
    http://www.gizmag.com/5-ways-to-get-more-out-of-google-chromecast/29125/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Help me out here please
    Ok I will be using a friends Sky Go on my ipad a lot to watch sports and movies. So what I want is to watch it on my tv screen mirror it from my ipad screen. What I'm taking from this thread is if I get this chromecast I won't be able to mirror onto my tv screen from my ipad sky sports . But I will be able to mirror with Apple TV if I buy that device..... Am I correct here in what I'm saying folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Help me out here please
    Ok I will be using a friends Sky Go on my ipad a lot to watch sports and movies. So what I want is to watch it on my tv screen mirror it from my ipad screen. What I'm taking from this thread is if I get this chromecast I won't be able to mirror onto my tv screen from my ipad sky sports . But I will be able to mirror with Apple TV if I buy that device..... Am I correct here in what I'm saying folks

Yes.. For now.

Thanks for prompt reply. Just one last question lets say the wife had an android tablet is there any way she can mirror what she has on the screen on her android device onto the tv screen
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks for prompt reply. Just one last question lets say the wife had an android tablet is there any way she can mirror what she has on the screen on her android device onto the tv screen
    Thanks in advance

Using anything with XBMC attached to the TV (ATV, Android Device, PC etc..)

She could use Yatse. It will stream anything to XBMC.
    There are numerous other ways. But for now, this is definitely my preferred method.

You may need to go to Android devices for any further information...

Lost now lol
    Would I have to buy a device so she could watch from an android device onto the tv screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Help me out here please
    Sky don't allow mirroring in sky go.

flexcon wrote: »
    Using netflix with Chromecast, doesn't that stream the info via wi-fi to your Chromecast, and rather than streaming your screen to the Tv, your streaming the content over the internet?

In that case its not like the Apple TV, as the Apple TV streams and mirrors your phone/ipad/Mac/pc over over your internal wi-fi.

Correct me here if I'm wrong.

ATV also has has separate portals for Netflix etc which can be accessed directly without the need for any portable device.

wHAT I won't be able to watch my sky go on the tv screen if I'm watching it on my ipad is this true. How on earth can they stop that

wHAT I won't be able to watch my sky go on the tv screen if I'm watching it on my ipad is this true. How on earth can they stop that

Sky Go has only ever allowed audio via Airplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Sky will never allow you to watch SkyGo on a TV no matter what device you use. If you want to watch it on a TV you have to purchase Sky TV and if you already have it then you need to buy multiroom to add it to another TV. This is how they make money and prevent abuse.

Advertisement