Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Dudda wrote: »
    Sky will never allow you to watch SkyGo on a TV no matter what device you use.

You can use an Xbox 360.
    http://help.sky.com/tv/sky-tv-on-other-devices/watch-sky-go-on-xbox-360?country=ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

D_BEAR wrote: »

Sorry I meant portable device like a tablet, smartphone, laptop, etc mentioned earlier in the thread. None of these allow hdmi out, airplay*, chromecast, etc. An xBox 360 isn't considered portable.

*A very early version of the SkyGo app did allow airplay but that was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Sorry folks LAST question . Is there ANYWAY I can watch my sky go on my TV then. Maybe some cable or anything. Thanks

Ps I see the xbox will allow me somehow but I don't have one . I do have a PS3 though is that any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

OP - Chromecast is $35, Apple TV is €109. Big difference in price.

If you can watch Sky Go on your chrome browser then you can watch it on TV with Chromecast.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998338?hl=en

You can always use a HDMI out cable from your iphone/smartphone to your TV HDMI port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Triangla wrote: »
    OP - Chromecast is $35, Apple TV is €109. Big difference in price.

If you can watch Sky Go on your chrome browser then you can watch it on TV with Chromecast.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998338?hl=en

You can always use a HDMI out cable from your iphone/smartphone to your TV HDMI port.

That doesn't work/works shít. And, Chrome browser has to be on your PC or MAC. Can't be phone/tablet.
    If and when you get anything to stream from the browser, it eventually stops, because it isn't streaming what google want you to stream.

Even at under €20, it's a pretty pointless device, considering it's only a gap filler for TV's now -> next gen, it's pretty useless (for now).

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    That doesn't work/works shít.
    If and when you get anything to stream from the browser, it eventually stops, because it isn't streaming what google want you to stream.

Even at under €20, it's a pretty pointless device, considering it's only a gap filler for TV's now -> next gen, it's pretty useless (for now).

I got a chromecast today. I'll check it out over the weekend and post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Triangla wrote: »
    I got a chromecast today. I'll check it out over the weekend and post.
    It's a decent device, if in the U.S. you and 4 friends (5 people) can group buy one each for $15. - And that's because it works in the U.S.

It works with Netflix, Youtube over here. You can get a VPN and it will work better for U.S. apps/TV.

When they stopped allcast, it made the device binworthy imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

You can open locally stored files through Chrome, use ctrl+o and select the video file that you want to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Chromecast code is now in plex too. Official release expected very soon.

I've had Chromecast for two weeks now. It's excellent for watching Netflix on, quality is perfect.

I've cast from my Google Chrome browser also, whatever I watch on my laptop can be cast to the tv screen.

Excellent product, especially given the price. I think the Sony version is over €100.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-bravia-smart-stick-google-tv-chromecast,news-17567.html#sony-bravia-smart-stick-google-tv-chromecast%2Cnews-17567.html?&_suid=1386319984972023377059127002103

The amount of apps that are designed especially for Chromecast is low at the moment but this is sure to increase as the technology spreads. Being able to cast staright from Google Chrome bypasses that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I am not very computer literate, so I was just wondering if somebody could set me straight, because even though the earlier posts are straightforward they're beyond me

Does Chromecast have limitations when you are streaming from a macbook air to a tv, just like apple tv does?

you cannot just stream the net on apple tv right? it has to be like netflix or youtube or hulu or a limited number of other apps. is chromecast the same or can you watch the whole internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I am not very computer literate, so I was just wondering if somebody could set me straight, because even though the earlier posts are straightforward they're beyond me

Does Chromecast have limitations when you are streaming from a macbook air to a tv, just like apple tv does?

you cannot just stream the net on apple tv right? it has to be like netflix or youtube or hulu or a limited number of other apps. is chromecast the same or can you watch the whole internet?

With Apple TV you can stream whatever you want. using Airplay you can mirror your screen. So whatever is on your screen, is on the Big TV

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

flexcon wrote: »
    With Apple TV you can stream whatever you want. using Airplay you can mirror your screen. So whatever is on your screen, is on the Big TV

Unless it is Sky Sports or Sky Go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

whiterebel wrote: »
    Unless it is Sky Sports or Sky Go.

using Sky sports and sky go here just fine..ever had an issue.

They only block this on the iOS APP as far as Im aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

flexcon wrote: »

You must also have a supported Mac to be able to mirror over airplay. It would have to be from the last 4 years or so I think. The older macs and obviously windows pcs won't let you mirror.

Advertisement