Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evelyn Cusacks forecast tonight

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm a big fan of Evelyn but think she has made her point now and should just leave it at that and concentrate on the forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Evelyn put all "myths" to bed tonight saying that neither nature, animals or humans could foretell the future weather beyond a few days. She likened the "Chaos Theory" to predicting future weather.
    She might be preempting the flurry of annual weather predictions for the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

And she also said that the birds havn't arrived in Ireland yet to eat the berries .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Have to say, she's not the brightest for someone who's supposed to be smart. Again she attacks something that no one believes. Why does she feel so threatened by folk customs? we're not talking science here, it's just old traditions that some still talk about but again outside of the odd person (and there's always one!) no one seriously believes these predictions when it comes to real weather planning.

She was stumbling over her words tonight more than normal and spent far too much time giving a mini lecture, she's there to give the weather forecast not to give out about Myths. Why was she so nervous?

This will backfire on her at some point. We'll have a rough winter, the papers will latch on to someone up a mountain who said it would be rough and it'll just roll on and on. I wouldn't mind but the more she goes on about this the more oxygen she'll give to the subject.

People can't be stopped from saying things about the weather, It called free speech. You or I might not like what they say but that's life in a democracy.

She should be grateful that she works for ME and gives out forecasts on RTE because she too has a soap box to preach from, It's a pity that she can't be the bigger person and ignore those that obviously have a very different (and non-scientific) way of working out things.

And while I'm at it who is Lorentz??? By any chance does she mean Lorenz as in Edward Norton Lorenz. If there's another Lorentz I apologize, but did she spell the surname incorrectly? it kind of proves the point many make that ME are slapdash at times. Why not give someone's full name? Gatekeeper behaviour.

Next she'll be saying there's no Santa Claus and upset another large population :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

have the postman or other pyschic been invited on RTE anywhere?

Joe Public wrote: »
    Next she'll be saying there's no Santa Claus and upset another large population :)

That's the Pitch for a Hollywood movie. A weather forecaster that goes off the rails, Saying Santa (and the Donegal Postman) aren't real. However, a interesting combination of events show her the true meaning of Christmas and the weather at the same time. Co-starring Gerald Butler as Gerry (winking) Fleming

How long before she will be featured on Irish Pictorial Weekly? I think she is looking for a wider coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

And while I'm at it who is Lorentz??? By any chance does she mean Lorenz as in Edward Norton Lorenz. If there's another Lorentz I apologize, but did she spell the surname incorrectly? it kind of proves the point many make that ME are slapdash at times. Why not give someone's full name? Gatekeeper behaviour.
    I didn't see that particular forecast but if she's talking about animals,she would be referring to Konrad Lorenz. I read some books by him in the 70's and really impressed me as a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

And while I'm at it who is Lorentz??? By any chance does she mean Lorenz as in Edward Norton Lorenz. If there's another Lorentz I apologize, but did she spell the surname incorrectly?
    I didn't see that particular forecast but if she's talking about animals,she would be referring to Konrad Lorenz. I read some books by him in the 70's and really impressed me as a teenager.

Just watched it now and Onthe3rdDay is correct, she's referring to Dr. Edward Norton Lorenz and Chaos Theory, the surname was misspelt on screen

BFC3586D-79B7-45FB-A340-EF49A2563B70-1112-000000C5D8DBCD67_zps283c0159.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

shes at it again on the 1 oclock weather

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

still banging on about it again on the evening news...... enough now please

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

ah lads, she's gone. we've lost her. this is terrible watching the demise of an excellent presenter. its car crash TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Here we go again, dissing the animals AND plugging the RTE guide, what have you become Evelyn?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And again at 6.01. Ok Evelyn we get it, the crusty soothsayers are talking b****x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It was even on the weather with sign language ok we get it ffs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Have to say, she's not the brightest for someone who's supposed to be smart. Again she attacks something that no one believes.

That is quite the definitive tone you have there, you have no basis for saying that. Not everyone has the same interested about the weather to get into the scientific side of things. Not everyone is informed enough to realise what is poppycock and what is significant. I do not care whether people are right or wrong in their beliefs but I do think that your tone is wrong.

That particular weather reporter has consistently been giving little snippets if "behind the scenes" information about the weather, such as technical names and in general, more than just statements of rain tomorrow etc. I don't see where you could possibly have a go at her intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she must got a lot of email from lots of people who think dr doolittle is was real

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lumi wrote: »
    Just watched it now and Onthe3rdDay is correct, she's referring to Dr. Edward Norton Lorenz and Chaos Theory, the surname was misspelt on screen
    http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae30/Fionagav/BFC3586D-79B7-45FB-A340-EF49A2563B70-1112-000000C5D8DBCD67_zps283c0159.jpg

Definitely going OTT if she's still going on about it. In the "original" presentation mentioned in OP they spelt it right, but jaysus people will get sick of watching the weather if she keeps bringing it up.

bbk wrote: »
    That is quite the definitive tone you have there, you have no basis for saying that. Not everyone has the same interested about the weather to get into the scientific side of things. Not everyone is informed enough to realise what is poppycock and what is significant. I do not care whether people are right or wrong in their beliefs but I do think that your tone is wrong.

That particular weather reporter has consistently been giving little snippets if "behind the scenes" information about the weather, such as technical names and in general, more than just statements of rain tomorrow etc. I don't see where you could possibly have a go at her intelligence.

There's no tone, I've nothing against her. However, i'm saying it like I see it. What you're saying is that she can say whatever she wants on the weather forecast (which I scientifically agree is generally correct) However, anyone that has an opinion about her has to remain silent. The last few forecasts her presentation would be given a fail in Media courses. She's there to give the weather forecast, not a lecture on Myths. Yes some people will believe poppycock but that's always going to be the way. I still have to meet anyone who's ever relied on berries for a long term or short term forecast. I know a lot of farmers in rural areas and they all listen to the forecast. That the standard. Any other guide would be foolish to depend on. However, they do have a respect for customs and for the old ways.

Too often I've seen those involved in the sciences who would be very smart people in that area make some very basic mistakes when it comes to Presentation and P.R.

Plus she's using classic Gatekeeper tactics. Just give a surname and then spell it wrong. It's almost as if they're afraid to leave information out.

Why can't she just give the weather forecast? If she wants to do anything else she's in the TV business. Propose an idea to RTE about the weather and how it's worked out in this day and age. Get a proper producer, director and script. Not something that's off the top of your head.

I do think this could backfire badly if they're not careful. They're an easy target, which isn't always their fault, but making things easier for their detractors is not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

There's no tone, I've nothing against her. However, i'm saying it like I see it. What you're saying is that she can say whatever she wants on the weather forecast (which I scientifically agree is generally correct) However, anyone that has an opinion about her has to remain silent. The last few forecasts her presentation would be given a fail in Media courses. She's there to give the weather forecast, not a lecture on Myths. Yes some people will believe poppycock but that's always going to be the way. I still have to meet anyone who's ever relied on berries for a long term or short term forecast. I know a lot of farmers in rural areas and they all listen to the forecast. That the standard. Any other guide would be foolish to depend on. However, they do have a respect for customs and for the old ways.

Too often I've seen those involved in the sciences who would be very smart people in that area make some very basic mistakes when it comes to Presentation and P.R.

Plus she's using classic Gatekeeper tactics. Just give a surname and then spell it wrong. It's almost as if they're afraid to leave information out.

Why can't she just give the weather forecast. If she wants to do anything else she's in the TV business. Propose an idea to RTE about the weather and how it's worked out in this day and age. Get a proper producer and sciript. Not something that's off the top of your head.

It is very much a tone earlier, despite what you have written there you made a very definitive statement about what everyone thinks - which is the wrong way to go about things.

Regardless of that tone and the self proclaimed knowledge of what everyone things and on to the thread as a whole, it looks like you are giving off about something fairly minor. She had some extra time so did a bit of educating and that is all it is and it is all it ever was meant to be, though for places like these where people can voice their opinions on what happened, speculation on top of opinion can wrongly add levels to what was originally done, which is sad because as I said she has always been the one who slips some educational information into her reports from time to time.

If it keeps coming up in broadcasts, it will turn into some tit for tat but she is by no means wrong in adding an education standpoint to broadcasts as she has done for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I ve had enough of Evelyn now. Bring back Dr Adain Nulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It was fine the first time but its just silly now, enough of this nonsense, just give us the weather and stop having a go at the Donegal postie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

I think you're all forgetting that nobody is as obsessed with the weather as we are. Evelyn is repeating her point as I'd say a majority of the population didn't see her first forecast so she wants to reiterate her feelings. You can't blame her.

If she's still 'having a go' at the long-range forecasters in two months' times then maybe she could be accused of going overboard. But to get all snotty and antsy because she's mentioned it for two days is a bit much.

Also, Evelyn is FAR more qualified to give her opinion on the weather than the vast majority of the population - and that includes the people in here! I can't blame her for wanting to set the facts straight.

Over the past few weeks it's been unbelievable the number of people who I've heard say we're due a cold winter due to some nonsense they've read in the Indo or the Express. Not everyone reads the Boards weather forum for a more rounded view on the weather. So if Evelyn wants to use her forecast to educate people on the weather every now and then, so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

compsys wrote: »
    I think you're all forgetting that nobody is as obsessed with the weather as we are. Evelyn is repeating her point as I'd say a majority of the population didn't see her first forecast so she wants to reiterate her feelings. You can't blame her.

If she's still 'having a go' at the long-range forecasters in two months' times then maybe she could be accused of going overboard. But to get all snotty and antsy because she's mentioned it for two days is a bit much.

Also, Evelyn is FAR more qualified to give her opinion on the weather than the vast majority of the population - and that includes the people in here! I can't blame her for wanting to set the facts straight.

Over the past few weeks it's been unbelievable the number of people who I've heard say we're due a cold winter due to some nonsense they've read in the Indo or the Express. Not everyone reads the Boards weather forum for a more rounded view on the weather. So if Evelyn wants to use her forecast to educate people on the weather every now and then, so be it!
    Of course she's more qualified to talk about the weather than people who aren't experts in that field, but that hardly means that nobody else can throw in their two cents on the matter!
    I found her tone condescending, that was my only real issue with the whole thing. I still can't really see how people talking about and trying to predict the weather - as people have always done - is such a problem for Evelyn. At the end of the day, what difference does it make to her? I don't see these long-range forecasts as undermining her profession - far from it, given that they're so often wrong! Personally I tune in to the weather so that I've a clue what clothes to wear the following day, not for a lecture on where I should get my weather forecasts!

It is very much a tone earlier, despite what you have written there you made a very definitive statement about what everyone thinks - which is the wrong way to go about things.

Regardless of that tone and the self proclaimed knowledge of what everyone things and on to the thread as a whole, it looks like you are giving off about something fairly minor. She had some extra time so did a bit of educating and that is all it is and it is all it ever was meant to be, though for places like these where people can voice their opinions on what happened, speculation on top of opinion can wrongly add levels to what was originally done, which is sad because as I said she has always been the one who slips some educational information into her reports from time to time.

If it keeps coming up in broadcasts, it will turn into some tit for tat but she is by no means wrong in adding an education standpoint to broadcasts as she has done for a long time.

But your tone could be considered Condescending and all knowing as well, Telling me off because I hold the wrong point of view or that I'm wrong but I do respect your right to do that.

However, she does a very poor job of educating when she gives out facts the way she does. She's there to tell the weather forecast and that's about it. If she's got extra time I wouldn't mind seeing what's happening in Britain and elsewhere in Europe.

In all my travels I have never found anyone who actually uses Myths about berries to work out future weather plans. That's everyone. I put a disclaimer on that because there's always someone who looks at things differently.

All this would be solved if some (and I mean some, not all) of the weather presenters on RTE had a refresher course on presentation. Then if ME or various people want a show about the weather why not get RTE to commission one. I'd watch as would others, the information wouldn't be rushed, or incorrect.

Just to point out that it feels like a point of view from her, not an educational standpoint. She's basically saying the postman and others are wrong and backing it up with phrases from someone most people won't have heard of, and can't look up easily because she spelt the name incorrectly.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps283c0159.jpg

(thanks to Lumi or whoever took the screenshot by the way!)

She could be a little more subtle with her viewpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Gerry following on tonight... Nice bit of.weather theory.....

• Advertisement

Tazio wrote: »
    Gerry following on tonight... Nice bit of.weather theory.....

Think I prefer the bit that was on earlier :)

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10227157/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement