Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a lot of pain what to do?

Options
  • 16-11-2013 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could help me please. My partner is in terrible pain with one of his wisdom teeth coming through and feels as though it's hitting a nerve. He has taken lots of different painkillers from panadol to tylex and nothing has killed the pain.

He also has a bottle of clove oil that no longer works for him. The only thing that seems to kill the pain is cold water or an ice cube on the affected area. It's keeping him up at night and he's been getting sick because he can't eat very much and can only drink lots of water.

We are currently waiting for an appointment at our local dental clinic (free consultation) to see exactly what the problem is, and then we have to save whatever the cost is but until then, is there anything anyone can suggest that may kill the pain?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could help me please. My partner is in terrible pain with one of his wisdom teeth coming through and feels as though it's hitting a nerve. He has taken lots of different painkillers from panadol to tylex and nothing has killed the pain.

He also has a bottle of clove oil that no longer works for him. The only thing that seems to kill the pain is cold water or an ice cube on the affected area. It's keeping him up at night and he's been getting sick because he can't eat very much and can only drink lots of water.

We are currently waiting for an appointment at our local dental clinic (free consultation) to see exactly what the problem is, and then we have to save whatever the cost is but until then, is there anything anyone can suggest that may kill the pain?

If it is pain alone, it is a toothache caused by decay of the tooth. At this stage most likely only an extraction or possibly a good temporary filling will help.
    If he is swollen in the mouth, it could be a local impacted wisdom tooth infection. Keep it really clean with warm salt water rinses and corsodyl...
    If more swollen or swollen at the neck, he needs antibiotics and treatment of the tooth...

Getting sick could be just because he is not eating or a sign of systemic infection....

Wisdom teeth problems can escalate very quickly. Don't be hanging around for free examinations with a dentist. See your medical card gp or even a&e if swelling is developing.

Advertisement