Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance on a 476 visa

Options
  • 16-11-2013 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was recently granted a 476 visa which is a recognised graduate of engineering visa its an 18 month visa and I'm just wondering what my options are as regards health insurance. I had VHI travel insurance when I came to Australia originally but that was only for a year so it expired when my WHV did. I spent about 7 months on a bridging visa awaiting approval for the 476, luckily no incidents in that time, but now that it's been granted I'd like some health cover for my own peace of mind!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I extended my vhi cover to vhi worldwide to cover my time over here, think you can do it for up to a certain amount of years, 5 maybe, & then go back to your regular vhi when you return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Would your VHI policy at home still have to be active to get that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Bupa do policies specifically for overseas visitors on temp visas. They are more expensive than you would pay as a resident (start at about $100 a month for the most basic of cover) but they are helpful because they bring you up to general Medicare cover (public doctors and hospital cover) plus repatriation costs.

Ireland and AU have a reciprocal agreement though which means you are entitled to emergency care in any public hospital. Doesn't cover a lot but should cover the essentials like not dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Testament1 wrote: »
    Would your VHI policy at home still have to be active to get that though?

I'm not sure but I don't think so.

However the only reason I didn't bother investigating Australian options was because I had vhi & didn't want to cancel it & start again after paying it so long. I think it's about €80/90 a month. The above option probably would have been handier if I hadn't wanted to keep vhi going.
    (Vhi covers repatriation too)

Advertisement