Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alone in Melbourne for Christmas

Options
  • 16-11-2013 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Just hoping to get some tips from the always helpful boardies. I've been living in Melbourne for the last 4 months or so & really like the city. I get on very well with most of my colleagues, but I only have a couple of close friends here & wish I had more.

I was looking forward to one of my good mates coming down & spending Christmas with me - I'd bought tickets for the Boxing Day test & we'd planned to do some other stuff while he was here. Unfortunately, as I apparently hadn't been on to him enough to actually book a flight, he's now decided he can't afford to come and is leaving me high and dry (unpaid cricket tickets and all) to stay and have Christmas with his girlfriend's family.

Unfortunately my flatmate is flying back to Ireland for Christmas as well, so as it stands, I'm gonna be on my own. Most of the people I know from work either already have plans to go away or are in relationships so I don't fancy being a third wheel or just inviting myself along! I could fly back to Sydney but its a similar story - close friends there are either flying home or doing the 'relationship' thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do in Melbourne (or even beyond) for a solo Irishman on Christmas Day?! I'm not really a beach bum but might take a spin out to St. Kilda for a bit. Last time I was away for Christmas I was staying in a hostel and had a big gang of people to spend it with & keep me entertained. This year I'm worried I'm gonna be miserable & missing my family :( so any tips gratefully received!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

Could you book into a hostel this year somewhere near Melbourne? Maybe take yourself off for a few days. I'm not familiar with that part of the world at all so no idea where exactly to suggest, but maybe look up the nearest town with something that interests you and go book a hostel and maybe you'll meet a nice group of backpackers to take your mind off being alone for Christmas.

Hope you get something sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Volunteer at a soup kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Public transport should be free Christmas Day. Some pubs and cafés will be open though there'll be a public holiday surcharge.
    The Aquarium and Zoo will be open and they can be a fun thing to do.
    Some vineyards will be open around Red Hill.
    The Cuckoo Restaurant in the Dandenongs do themed Christmas dinner and lunch
    http://www.cuckoorestaurant.com.au/events/year.listevents/2013/11/17/-.html

Advertisement