Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postman on weekend?

Options
  • 16-11-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was expecting a registered post from another country this week but it did not come so far.
    I am new in Ireland.
    Are the postman delivering letters in the weekend here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There has been no weekend delivers in years. However in December there is post on Saturdays. But there will be no post today

There really should be post in Dublin city through considering its so dense and makes up nearly 40% of the countries population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Ok.

I live in Dublin.
    Then I should expect the registered letter to arrive on Monday. If i am not at home, then how is it going to work? Do they leave any paper asking me to come back to nearest post office to pick the letter? Because it is registered letter.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Yes a notice will be left for you. It will say the tried to deliver and will tell you where you can go to collect your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you want certainty as to where the letter is, ask the sender to provide you with the tracking number and check the status on http://track.anpost.ie/.

Once it enters the Irish mail system you should get the letter latest 3 days later.

As other say, when you are not at home you will get a notice and can collect the letter at the nearest delivery depot (not post office as not all post offices are delivery depot), make sure you bring ID as outlined on the notice.

• Advertisement

Thanks dublin-texas,

I tried to track the post and it gives the following msg
    "Our Item Tracking system has not recognised the number(s) that you have entered. Please check that you have entered the correct number(s), or we may not have yet received the item(s). "

I have entered the number correctly thrice but its the same error. Does it mean I will not get the letter on Monday? Given it is not in the system yet
    If you want certainty as to where the letter is, ask the sender to provide you with the tracking number and check the status on http://track.anpost.ie/.

Once it enters the Irish mail system you should get the letter latest 3 days later.

As other say, when you are not at home you will get a notice and can collect the letter at the nearest delivery depot (not post office as not all post offices are delivery depot), make sure you bring ID as outlined on the notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Thanks dublin-texas,

I tried to track the post and it gives the following msg
    "Our Item Tracking system has not recognised the number(s) that you have entered. Please check that you have entered the correct number(s), or we may not have yet received the item(s). "

I have entered the number correctly thrice but its the same error. Does it mean I will not get the letter on Monday? Given it is not in the system yet

I would check the tracking system of the country where it comes from and look what the status there is, in my experience the same tracking number can be used on the anpost site, even if they assign a different one (as they do for some services) it will still reference the original tracking number. The system of the country of the sender should have some info about the status.

In my experience if it's not in the anpost system it is not in the country, but that is just my experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

go to the post office monday, do not depend on getting a note pushed thru the letterbox.i can assure you that some postmen cant be arsed leaving a note....

ok but which post office should I go to?
    go to the post office monday, do not depend on getting a note pushed thru the letterbox.i can assure you that some postmen cant be arsed leaving a note....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

In my experience if it's not in the anpost system it is not in the country, but that is just my experience.

in my experience, An post have shown me that message numerous times for packages when they have been delivered that day or the next day,

so its possible its here and they just aren't showing it in their system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What post office? Most of our post comes through central sorting offices and not the local post office.

In my 60+ years and receiving post most days, including many registered items, I have never had a situation where the postman did not leave a note if I was not at home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ok but which post office should I go to?

You should go to the nearest delivery office. If you want to give a rough idea of where you live we could suggest which one would be yours.

I live in Oldbawn, Tallaght, Dublin 24.

I know there is a post office in Square shopping center...is it good one?
    spurious wrote: »
    You should go to the nearest delivery office. If you want to give a rough idea of where you live we could suggest which one would be yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This would be the one for Tallaght:
    http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/an-post-delivery-offi-21414

It's not the actual post office in the Square where you go to buy stamps etc. (even though hardly anyone buys stamps anymore!).

ok its about 20 min walk from here. Do you suggest to go there on Monday or Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ring them on 01 462 0646 on Monday.Saves you walking if theres nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I hate getting registered letters, nearly always bad news...................... yours must be a cheque .................. is it? :rolleyes:

ok its about 20 min walk from here. Do you suggest to go there on Monday or Tuesday?

If they try to deliver Monday, they will leave you a note telling you to call for it and you can go Tuesday. As someone else suggested you could ring Monday and let them know you are expecting it if it does not arrive Monday.

It is my degree papers thats why I had to make it registered.

WIthout this degree I can not get any cheques :P hehehe

Ok thanks everyone! I will ring them on Monday noon.
    You guys are best!!:)

emeldc wrote: »
    I hate getting registered letters, nearly always bad news...................... yours must be a cheque .................. is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Don't ring that number - call Customer Services 1850 57 58 59, you will get them normal office hours, whereas sorting offices may well be closed in the afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ringing at noon is much too late in the day. Ring first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Check your tracking number on this website , and it might tell you the day it was finally dispatched from original country.

http://www.17track.net/index_en.shtml

And in my experience too , registered items are always scanned on arrival in Ireland .

I entered the tracking number.

This website does show where the letter is coming from. But is not showing destination or any other detail...
    Check your tracking number on this website , and it might tell you the day it was finally dispatched from original country.

http://www.17track.net/index_en.shtml

And in my experience too , registered items are always scanned on arrival in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

As I said ring the Customer Services number (the 1850 one). They have access to the tracking behind the public tracking, and give you more.

The point about registered mail is that it's hand to hand, whereas on the public website you'll only get the start and end point.

I called the number in the morning today 1850 57 58 59

They told me for some reason its been sent to Germany and it has not arrived yet in Ireland. Maybe tomorrow it should be arriving. So I just have to wait.
    Thanks for the help everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Would be great if they did Saturday Delivery at least to Residential addresses.

Sure even if they dropped Monday to offset it, people are at work on Monday anyway.

Plus their fuel bill would drop as traffic on Saturday is less than Monday.

They do saturday delivery here in the Netherlands too.

Finally i can see on anpost track website an update:

My letter arrived: DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

Recieved the letter just now. Happy days (*-*)

Advertisement