Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Club World Cup

Options
  • 16-11-2013 11:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

With the emergence of London GAA this season in the GAA Football Championships here, I would like to know, why not have a GAA Club World Cup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Costs.

Cost and lack of uniformity in playing standards. London senior football is a level above the rest of Britain and Britain is generally ahead of Europe. America and Oz are probably very strong now but too far away I'd imagine. It's something to aspire too but it isn't realistic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

fpllad wrote: »
    With the emergence of London GAA this season in the GAA Football Championships here, I would like to know, why not have a GAA Club World Cup.

UK clubs definitely take part in the senior and intermediate club football championships as Dr Crokes and Spa from Killarney both played British opposition in the last few years.

Crokes played Tir Chonaill Gaels last year and Spa played I think Herfordshire.

Not sure whether UK clubs take part in the junior club football championship.

I presume it's a similar situation for the strange game with sticks.

I'd say logistics would be the major issue towards increasing this further down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fpllad

Just try it out and see how it goes, could end up like the FIFA World Cup.

Maybe just eight teams, not 32 to start off. Could be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Or more likely the FIFA club World club, with it being more of a distraction for the better teams and no one really caring.

Who would fund such a venture ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

How exactly??

Two groups of four, semi-final and final. Invitational

Two groups of four, semi-final and final. Invitational

Seems like the type of thing the GAA might do as a one off event sometime, would be a bit of a logistical nightmare though, which is why it would be a one off, would have to be run off fairly quickly as well given the whole amateur thing, chances of a panel of players getting a prolonged spell off work quite slim!

You'd nearly need it to be a blitz run off over a weekend. Nice idea but not practical.

Well the GAA isn't really amateur, is it....

Well the GAA isn't really amateur, is it....
    That's a whole other issue :P

Well what I was getting at there was that you're talking about a panel of players from say Boston (plenty of immigrants there) to all manage to get a few days off work at the same time to fly out somewhere at great expense at the same time as another group of teams who have to do likewise.

Logistically acute and quite costly. Though maybe Etihad Airways could fly the panels to a tournament in Abu Dhabi or something, put their sponsorship to good use!

• Advertisement

Exactly, this year, "The Gathering" year would have been a great time to do it.

Mini Tournament out in Abu Dhabi say in Spetember/October...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think flying people of out of Ireland would be the opposite of what 'the Gathering' was trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This year they've started to branch out into the international scene a bit more, the European senior club champions played in the Leinster Junior Club championship.

Not sure what the point of world club cup would be, whoever represents Ireland would hammer the utter bejeezus out of any challengers.

I mean to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Something similar was done this year in Galway. they had clubs from all over the world playing a tournament over a few weekends.
    Not sure what the point of world club cup would be, whoever represents Ireland would hammer the utter bejeezus out of any challengers.

I think that there probably shouldn't be any Irish representation, similar to no australian team in the aussie rules world cup. Or like the AFL internationals, where they only pick 3rd or 4th string squads (who hammer the crap out of their opponents anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭ronjo

Exactly, this year, "The Gathering" year would have been a great time to do it.

Mini Tournament out in Abu Dhabi say in Spetember/October...

they have such a tournament in Athlone a few weeks ago
    Well it was only European sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

there was a world cup type of event back in 2002 in football.

just like the hurling event this year, it cost a fortune to stage and its cash that arguably is better invested in coaching, referee training etc on the ground abroad that will leave a longer term benefit than having a clatter of emmigrants coming back to play ball for a long weekend.

The event in Athlone is somewhat different as the players in Europe pay their accomodation and majority of their travel costs and getting to Ireland with Ryanair (paid in part or full by the player) is not to be compared with flying half ways round the globe from Australia or New Zealand and landing the bill with the GAA.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cost is a huge factor - I know a few of the London players, and they were training Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and an all day session on a Saturday to reach that level. The commitment required to reach that skill level would be a huge turnoff for Europeans who play the game for fun, and learning a new sport.

London football is much stronger than the rest of the country, both in men's a women's as a county.
    ronjo wrote: »
    they have such a tournament in Athlone a few weeks ago
    Well it was only European sides.

There was a London team and a rest of Britain team that entered that, and I'm 100% sure there was some sort of politics attached to it all.

If you were to do such a World Cup, it would probably have to be Europe ex Britain plus the rest of the world. Might be easier to do a European cup, Asian Cup, Australiasia cup and Americas cup with the four winners coming together kind of like the Confederations Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I was thinking of the idea of an emigrant World Cup.

Bring back the best players from the main emigrant countries (England, Scotland, Wales, Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand, Middle East) for a tournament at Christmas. Two groups with maybe the winners going through. Each county would submit a list of players that are of county standard that have emigrated and a manager designated for each country would pick the panel.

You would probably need an indoor venue (which I know doesn't exist) to have it in Ireland. I think the GAA should be looking at roofing a stadium in Ireland somewhere in the middle of the country or in Dublin (Parnell Park maybe?) that could be used for running off games from October on but that is another story.

I suppose it all depends on costs and the quality of the play. You could either bring back 4 teams or 8 teams. 20 players per panel x 4 is 80 players. 8 teams - 160 players. If it was 4 teams then off the top of my head (UK, Australia/ New Zealand, USA/ Canada & Rest of the World).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Ah here, this thread has gone past ridiculous at this stage, the humane thing to do would be to put it out is its misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Ah here, this thread has gone past ridiculous at this stage, the humane thing to do would be to put it out is its misery.
    Some of the pie in the sky stuff is off the wall, but the concept doesn't seem to be too far from what's planned.
    This from Qatar GAA club's upcoming events.
    6-7th March 2015 - World GAA Games in Abu Dhabi
    http://www.qatargaa.com/#!upcoming-events/cq4e
    It's also in the Dubai club list of events.

Advertisement