Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Marathon - 26th October 2014

Options
  • 16-11-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has run Frankfurt marathon and have any feedback? Considering it for 2014 so any feedback would be welcome. From what I have read/heard, it seems like a very good alternative to Berlin, for those who were unlucky enough not to get a lottery spot.

Typical entry size: 14k finishers
    Registration fee: €55 + €6 (Chip rental) + <optional> T-shirt (€25 short sleeve) / (€35 long sleeve).
    Course Record: 2:03:42 (Wilson Kipsang 2011).
    Course map: here
    It seems to rate very highly on MarathonGuide.

Features:
    Very, very flat
    Twisty course for first 8 kms
    Narrow streets, so some congestion for mid-pack runners
    Very fast course (3 seconds off of WR in 2011).
    Spectacular indoor finish
    Very well organized
    Free access to swimming pool afterwards
    Cheap Flights (~ €91)
    Cheap accommodation (good central hotels for around €40 per night, if you book now).
    Water in cups (but drinks drops for runners with times faster than: 2:45(m) /3:00(f)
    Basically a smaller version of Berlin (largely without the risk of hot weather).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I rem daith bc doing it and writing a report and raved about it. With your IT skills you will locate it. Prob 09 when he did it maybe 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I rem daith bc doing it and writing a report and raved about it. With your IT skills you will locate it. Prob 09 when he did it maybe 2010
    I used my computer wizardry (also called 'search'!) and found this. Not the most expansive of reports, but a positive one nonetheless!

Despite having around 1/3rd of the runners of Berlin, they actually have more sub-3 runners, which is a really positive sign. I'm nearly certain I'll be signing up. Have booked a four star hotel, just 1km from the start/finish, for €79 per night (for two people), including free wifi/breakfast/minibar, no pre-payment, and free cancellation up until the day before the race. It's close to the red light district (which may suit some!), but the race start/finish and the financial district are also close to the red-light district! Hotel website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Looks good, I think I'll throw my hat into the ring for this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hmmmm...was thinking of trying the ballot for Chicago. It'd be a hit and hope for me to be fit in 12 months time for a marathon

You'd even make it back in time for post DCM drink in McGrattans on the Monday. Interesting...

edit: price of those t-shirts be crazy

You'd even make it back in time for post DCM drink in McGrattans on the Monday. Interesting...
    Ha! Never thought of that! Cunning plan. :)

Get this:
    2013 - 700 men under 3 hours
    2012 - 853
    2011 - 764
    2010 - 618

Must make it the fastest marathon on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Hey guys, myself and the girlfriend did this this years edition a couple of weeks back. Will post up a proper race report tomorrow. Did it as an alternative to Dublin this year and was delighted I did. Top class marathon and super course.manhattan is well positioned alright and stones throw from an Irish bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Interesting, I visit some friends in Germany a few times a year and have done two of the marathons to the east of where they live - Dresden & Leipzig. Frankfurt would be a handy one as well & despite having passed by it many times have never been in the city. Think I'm almost sold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

One of my ambitions is to run a marathon in every city in which I've lived, which puts Frankfurt in the future plans, along with Paris, New York, Washington DC and Charlotte (unfortunately the last two are organised by thr Rock 'n' Roll crowd). So could well target this instead of Dublin next year, with a view to a GFA for Boston 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Its on my bucket list, undecided as to whether it'll be Frankfurt or Warsaw next year, but if there's a few from here going over, could make for a good weekend of it..

Stuck my race report up there for anyone that wants to see it, first time doing a report so go easy. Anything more specific that you need to know just ask here. Overall great marathon, fab course for anyone in good shape..enjoyable for those that aren't.

• Advertisement

I used my computer wizardry (also called 'search'!) and found this. Not the most expansive of reports, but a positive one nonetheless!
    Right... Found this more extensive review of Frankfurt marathon by Daithi BC. I'm sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Right... Found this more extensive review of Frankfurt marathon by Daithi BC. I'm sold.

so you're not going to be defending your oul fellas medal in Dublin?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    so you're not going to be defending your oul fellas medal in Dublin?
    You mean my ould fella's third-place medal! I'd have been 14th M40 in Frankfurt.
    If you want to be the best, you have to compete against the best. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Thought I put up a report after last years race,will throw up a few details tonight when home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

I Did the Frankfurt marathon in 2012 and would wholeheartedly reccomend it.It is very well organised which one comes to expect from a German marathon.It is not the prettiest of marathons but you seem to get a higher quality field than the likes of the majors.I ran 2:59 and finished 835th whilst previous year in Berlin ran 2:58 and was 1076th in a field of nearly three times more.
    We flew using Lufthansa and cost included a check in bag and food.Airort is roughly 15 min trip to the main train station where you can connect with the excellent underground system.expo is only two stops on from here and there is loads of reasonably priced hotels and appartments to be had.I stayed at the Aldina appartment hotel which was within walking distance of train station.
    The year I was there expo was excellent but one of the lads that returned said this years wasn't as good.
    You can collect your number on race morning if you so wish and t-shirt costs extra also.The race starts outside the expo and first few miles are in around the city with a portion on cobble type streets although they an my marathon didn't bother me too much.there is a few small pulls along the course and one or two underpasses also.Crowds can be scarce in spots and there is some quiet country sections before you come back into the city and along some of the pedestrian streets and decent crowds.the finish in the festehalle is unique and there's a good buzz about the place.
    One thing that caught me was that it had snowed there the day before I ran my marathon so temperatures were cold.I am thinking of heading back myself as it is excellently organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Interesting. Might be up for this....

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I was sold on this at the weekend :)

I entered on Wednesday, travelling with my brother, accommodation booked, will wait for a month 'til all the carriers open up before we book flights.

Its good to have something on the distant horizon to maintain the motivation over the winter, from March on the training takes care of itself. I intended to run Berlin again but I missed out on the lottery for 2014 and don't have the cash to pay €800 for the pleasure of running it.

Frankfurt seems to fit the bill as a really good alternate option, the more I read about it the more I was drawn towards it, gold label marathon, good clutter of people around my pace, easy to get to, right time of year, PB course, not the sufferfest Dublin is and at <€300 all in its great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Having missed out on Berlin myself also, this is looking very tempting for me too.

Any ideas about latest possible time to register for the event?

belcarra wrote: »
    Having missed out on Berlin myself also, this is looking very tempting for me too.

Any ideas about latest possible time to register for the event?
    Hard to say, but a quick search suggests that it sold out in 2011 on October 12th. In 2012, on October 16th, they had 234 race registrations remaining (to max out at 16k), but seemed to suggest that they would take late registrations at race weekend (if they were not sold out). In 2013, they also seemed to be taking late registrations at the expo, so again, may not have sold out.

My guess is that with the new Berlin lottery model it will likely sell out quicker this year.

There was late registrations taking at the expo the day before this year. I'd assume it'll be the same again this. Cracking race and I'd find it hard to ever justify Berlin now when comparing it price wise to this.

Didn't realise it sold out in 2011 and it was that close this year.

• Advertisement

Cheers Krusty, there should be no issues so with dallying until April/May time before committing to it.
    Having said that if I hear of cheap flights going then I may well bite the bullet much sooner!

Cheers Krusty, there should be no issues so with dallying until April/May time before committing to it.
    Having said that if I hear of cheap flights going then I may well bite the bullet much sooner!
    Yep, I'll do the same. I have booked accommodation, as it's so cheap at the moment and there's no deposit or cancellation fee. The only doubt is that I may pick up an injury over the next 11 months (:eek:), but sure a cheap weekend away in Frankfurt wouldn't be the worst thing in the world anyway! Kind of sad to end my un-broken run of Dublin marathons (last 6 years) but it's got to happen sometime and I reckon Frankfurt may be my last big push marathon (though I've said that many times!). I'm already getting excited about Frankfurt. Only 341 days!

Yep, I'll do the same. I have booked accommodation, as it's so cheap at the moment and there's no deposit or cancellation fee. The only doubt is that I may pick up an injury over the next 11 months (:eek:), but sure a cheap weekend away in Frankfurt wouldn't be the worst thing in the world anyway! Kind of sad to end my un-broken run of Dublin marathons (last 6 years) but it's got to happen sometime and I reckon Frankfurt may be my last big push marathon (though I've said that many times!). I'm already getting excited about Frankfurt. Only 341 days!

Why would you miss Dublin? Take a leaf out of Michael Wardian's book... Grab a 2:3x PB and then hit Dublin for a similar time...simples!

Why would you miss Dublin? Take a leaf out of Michael Wardian's book... Grab a 2:3x PB and then hit Dublin for a similar time...simples!
    The way I plan to run Frankfurt, I won't be able to climb the steps to the plane, not to mind run a marathon. He's only a youngster anway. Not even in his 40s yet. Everything starts to fall apart when you get into your 40s. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Keep us me updated on flights guys...I'm indecisive you might help me decide if I want to run a marathon next year.

Run behind Belcarra for 26.1 miles then sprint like crazy could be the plan :D

Run behind Belcarra for 26.1 miles then sprint like crazy could be the plan :D

Here's hoping for a short course!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Just signed up. no 1921. Cant wait!

Ill look at accommodation tonight. As Krusty has said, the times indicate that its a flyer of a marathon. A lot of German club runners seem to enter which must be a good sign. Going to throw everything into the fire for this one hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Had a chat with my friends in Germany today & decided no sense procrastinating hence I'm in for next Oct! Looking forward to getting a look around the place after driving past it so many times.

T runner wrote: »
    Just signed up. no 1921. Cant wait!
    I'm 1927 and I'm going to run faster than T runner. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have to say I'm ready to push the button to sign up for this one, thanks to info on this thread and elsewhere. My own modest goal is a 3:40 which would give me a GFA for Boston 2016, assuming the standards stay the same over the next few years. And while I could expect to hit that goal in Dublin, why not in Frankfurt, especially as it's a race I want to run anyway - might as well tie it to a meaningful goal.

So yeah, I'm in.

Advertisement