Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Marathon - 26th October 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

belcarra wrote: »
    Here's hoping for a short course!:D

Then our sub 3 runs won't be official ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I'm 1927 and I'm going to run faster than T runner. :D

Great stuff! Ill take the bait!

Ill be practising the sprint finishes and ill have "the wall" (my Dad) out on the course somewhere in the last 6 mile just incase. ;)

Edit. we'll have to get a few runs in closer to the time so i can keep an eye on progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Here's hoping for a short course!:D
    ,belcarras tour of the worlds easist marathons.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

T runner wrote: »
    Great stuff! Ill take the bait!

Ill be practising the sprint finishes and ill have "the wall" (my Dad) out on the course somewhere in the last 6 mile just incase. ;)

Edit. we'll have to get a few runs in closer to the time so i can keep an eye on progress!
    Absolutely! I've a lot of ground to make up, but plenty of time to do it.
    <note to self: No more late night bravado posts after arriving back from the pub>

Good to see that Frankfurt allows transfers and deferrals(ill-health) for a €10 admin fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'm in! Just registered. Looks like a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

At this rate, I just might bag an auld man placing at DCM '14 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

[/SIZE]
    Good to see that Frankfurt allows transfers and deferrals(ill-health) for a €10 admin fee.

A marathon that is made for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Absolutely! I've a lot of ground to make up, but plenty of time to do it.

You're well ahead already. Virtual Krusty lapped me twice during my session on Kilboggett track on Tuesday!

T runner wrote: »
    You're well ahead already. Virtual Krusty lapped me twice during my session on Kilboggett track on Tuesday!
    I prefer to approach this from the underdog vantage point, so it sits better in my brain that your marathon PB is 3 minutes faster than mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Has anybody booked flights yet. Lufthansa flight going at 18.00 on the Friday and returning Monday on 16.00 flight is currently €146.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Has anybody booked flights yet. Lufthansa flight going at 18.00 on the Friday and returning Monday on 16.00 flight is currently €146.

Nice price that!
    Nothing booked myself yet and will probably leave it 'til early Summer. I'd imagine that price should come back around again in May or thereabouts (hopefully anyways!) but unlikely to get a huge amount cheaper I'd guess.

No, but have a few price alerts set up on Sky Scanner. The good thing about the Lufthansa flight is that I believe it includes a checked bag (unlike Aer Lingus/Ryanair), so you can bring some quality German beer back with you. ;)

I was toying with the idea of getting an early flight back on Monday, and joining in, with some of the post-Dublin celebrations. (can you tell I haven't had an alcoholic beverage so far this year? :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Thought you were doing DCM Niall? Frankfurt's my likely Autumn marathon. What'll be your goal time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Most likely Ryanair from Farranfore to Hahn for me, will be visiting some friends further east afterwards so will be staying in Germany for a few days after the run.

Thought you were doing DCM Niall? Frankfurt's my likely Autumn marathon. What'll be your goal time?

I entered this one as an option. I can write off the €60 but if I book the flight I am there. Watched the course on you tube yesterday. There seems to be a lot of sharp turns in the first 5 miles but once you get out of the city, there are lots of very long straights. If weather conditions are good on the day, it looks like a very fast course.

Goal time? 2:44:59 or faster?

Goal time? 2:44:59 or faster?

Not sure of target yet. I am training away at the minute doing the BHAA CC's. Did Tymon Park 2 weeks ago and doing the 5 miler tomorrow in Cherryfield Park. Plan to do the Dune Half on 16/03 from Newry to Dundalk. Tough first 2 mile but flat after that. Then I will do 5&10Ks in May & June and then into marathon mode. Had planned on 2.47ish in Dublin but reckon if training goes well and on a faster course, I could have a sneaky crack at 2.45.

Plan to do the Dune Half on 16/03 from Newry to Dundalk.
    Oh they're changing the direction this year? Might make for an interesting race. 140m climb, then drop for 10.6 miles. Depends on which way the wind is blowing!

Oh they're changing the direction this year? Might make for an interesting race. 140m climb, then drop for 10.6 miles. Depends on which way the wind is blowing!

Yeah they are changing direction every year. I reckon this route is actually quicker but the key will be accepting 2 slowish miles at the start. It is a gradual descent all the way to Dundalk after 2.5 miles. If the wind is on your back a controversial p.b. beckons.

Yeah they are changing direction every year. I reckon this route is actually quicker but the key will be accepting 2 slowish miles at the start. It is a gradual descent all the way to Dundalk after 2.5 miles. If the wind is on your back a controversial p.b. beckons.
    Probably deserves its own thread, but it was pretty nasty last year, as we had the headwind (and the gradual drag) for 10+ miles, which made pmp pretty tough. IIRC RunForestRun did it last year as well. The wind direction would be a massive influence. I'd like to run it in the other direction, but it's the day after I arrive back from holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I'm in. Time to start looking for hotels.

Any of you lot book any hotels/flights yet? Looks like we could nearly charter a flight with the numbers planning this one!!

Any of you lot book any hotels/flights yet? Looks like we could nearly charter a flight with the numbers planning this one!!
    Yep, hotel and flights booked. Hotel was a bargain, with no deposit and 24 hour cancellation, just 1km from the start/finish, so a no brainer. Flights were €160 (Friday afternoon -> Monday afternoon) via Lufthansa, and include stowed luggage allowance. You can get cheaper Lufthansa flights, if you're willing to arrive on Friday evening at around 9pm (around €122 if I remember correctly). The flights are non-refundable, so the only real risk. Injury or no injury, I'll be going anyway. The only fundamental difference is how much beer I'll be consuming.

Yeah, just having a look at the flights at the moment myself. Trying to decide how long I'll be able to offload the kids for!! What hotel you going for?

Yeah, just having a look at the flights at the moment myself. Trying to decide how long I'll be able to offload the kids for!! What hotel you going for?
    Went with the 4* Manhattan Hotel, which was €79/night for two people, including brekkie, Wifi etc. Reviewed very positively on TripAdvisor. 750m walk to the start/finish.

Entry in, flights booked, hotel reserved... Predicted time of 2:44:50 enough to give me a bit of nervous energy 8 months out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I managed to get into Berlin last week on a charity entry place so will knock this on the head for this year and hit Dublin for a jog instead.
    May well run it next year though so will keep an eye out for all your reviews come October time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I managed to get into Berlin last week on a charity entry place so will knock this on the head for this year and hit Dublin for a jog instead.
    May well run it next year though so will keep an eye out for all your reviews come October time!

All the cool kids are doing the Berlin/Dublin double this year :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Stayed in the hotel Monopol last year for the marathon. Its across the road from the railway station. Very convenient for the start / finish (less than a mile). Its a protected structure & has retained its old charm. For example the old sound proof war doors are still the bedroom door. While old, its clean and free tea, cakes and buns all day in the lobby (dangerous for two carb loading marathoners)and free wifi. While the clients lurking around outside are not the most attractive, its to be expected around any European railway station. We ate in the railway station as it offers alot of choice in terms of food, pasta houses, pizza huts, Starbucks, cafes etc. All in all for the price we paid it was very comfortable and convenient. If you'd prefer to be in the centre of town as opposed to close to start finish perhaps this hotel should be avoided.

• Advertisement

Just got a SkyScanner alert that Lufthansa (via airtickets.co.uk) return flights (Friday 17:55 -> Monday 16:00) have dropped to €103 (which includes 1 piece checked luggage). Bloody good deal if you haven't booked your flights yet.

Advertisement