Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Marathon - 26th October 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Name|Current PB|Prediction|Corral|Beer
    Krusty_Clown|2:38:31|2:34:50|1st Asics|Yes, please
    DukeRaoul|2:50:18|2:39:59|1st Asics|do bears **** in the woods?
    RunForestRun|2:50:51|2:48:30|1st Asics|For sure, not flying home til Monday
    Itziger|3:09:06|2:59:xx|1st Asics|Go on then
    HibernianRunner|Virgin|3:54:59|Expensive Ice-cream|All drinks on me

I'm getting really cocky trying to mess with the table again, on someone else's behalf, but hey, if the guy's buying the beer! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

opus|2:54:38|TBD|1st Asics|Ah sure just one or two then

Ran the 15 Cork to Cobh race today so decision time will come after the Athlone 3/4 marathon next w/end, tbh anytime that starts with a 2 will make me very happy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

General nutrition:
    The stations at 5km and 10km are lined up on both sides; all other stations are one-sided only!
    Every 5km the order at each water station is as following:
    Clock
    medical aid
    own nutrition
    Rosbacher mineral water Naturell
    Rosbacher Sport
    tea
    troughs with water to dunk in your sponge
    litter bins.
    Starting at 15km we additionally offer organic bananas. At 20km, 25km, 30km and 35km High5 EnergyGels are offered. At 30km, 35km and 40 km bizzl Cola is offered. Refreshments (Rosbacher mineral water Naturell and troughs with water) can also be found at 12.5km, 17.5km, 22.5km, 27.5km, 32,5 and 37.5km.

Just wondering - is anyone considering handing in some nutrition (bottles) to for collection en-route? Seems to be on offer for anyone going for sub 2:45 (male) or 3 hours (female). Might stick in a bottle of PowerAid, on the off-hand chance that it will still be there when I pass those aid stations (though at least 100 thirsty runners will likely have passed by before me!).

Oh and I should point out it's a 10am start for Wave 1. I previously thought it was 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Noticed the 10am start a couple of days ago alright, might be an advantage in terms of breakfast logistics, etc.

Don't think I'll bother with leaving out drinks, as you say, some German sausage will probably run off with it, and you'd likely stress yourself out looking for, or missing it. Try out the sports stiff they're offering every 5k the day before, see if you like it, then plan accordingly I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Emer911| 3:58:59| 3:58:58? |Stadt Frankfurt| well maybe I'll have one so

So am I the only cailín on this Frankfurt train?
    Well this should be fun

• Advertisement

[quote="Emer911;

Well this should be fun[/quote]

I'm going to probably be crying like a girl if I manage to somehow run my goal time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Emer911 wrote: »

Well this should be fun

My lovely wife is in for the drinks!!!

I'm going to probably be crying like a girl if I manage to somehow run my goal time.

I'll make sure to bring some tissues then...

dukeraoul wrote: »
    My lovely wife is in for the drinks!!!

So I've been told... Brave woman :-)
    Is she in charge of getting us all home from the pub?

Are the kids being abandoned for the weekend then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Here is a quick write up on the elite field....2 2:04 Ethiopians!

BMW Frankfurt: Kipruto to defend
    FRANKFURT (GER): Vincent Kipruto will defend his Frankfurt marathon title on October 26, inform organisers. The 27 year old Kenyan, who has a 2:05:13 PB from 2010, won in a windy Frankfurt last year by just 1 second, finishing in a time of 2:06:15. However his form has not been as good this year; his 2:09:54 for 3rd in Otsu not matching his win last year in 2:08:34. Looking to avenge his one second defeat from 2013 will be his compatriot Mark Kiptoo (2:06:16, 2013), but the main challenge should come from his Ethiopian rivals Tsegaye Mekonnen (2:04:32, 2014) and Getu Feleke (2:04:50, 2012). Mekonnen has already won Dubai and placed 5th in London this year, while Feleke notched up a win in Wien with 2:05:41. There will be debuts for Daniel Wanjiru of Kenya (59:59. 2014) and Ethiopia’s Adugna Takele (60:15, 2014). Kenya’s Francis Bowen, who will turn 41 next week, aims to beat the world masters record of 2:08:46, he ran 2:08:53 last year

• Advertisement

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Here is a quick write up on the elite field....2 2:04 Ethiopians!

BMW Frankfurt: Kipruto to defend
    FRANKFURT (GER): Vincent Kipruto will defend his Frankfurt marathon title on October 26, inform organisers. The 27 year old Kenyan, who has a 2:05:13 PB from 2010, won in a windy Frankfurt last year by just 1 second, finishing in a time of 2:06:15. However his form has not been as good this year; his 2:09:54 for 3rd in Otsu not matching his win last year in 2:08:34. Looking to avenge his one second defeat from 2013 will be his compatriot Mark Kiptoo (2:06:16, 2013), but the main challenge should come from his Ethiopian rivals Tsegaye Mekonnen (2:04:32, 2014) and Getu Feleke (2:04:50, 2012). Mekonnen has already won Dubai and placed 5th in London this year, while Feleke notched up a win in Wien with 2:05:41. There will be debuts for Daniel Wanjiru of Kenya (59:59. 2014) and Ethiopia’s Adugna Takele (60:15, 2014). Kenya’s Francis Bowen, who will turn 41 next week, aims to beat the world masters record of 2:08:46, he ran 2:08:53 last year

Damnit anyway!

opus|2:54:38|TBD|1st Asics|Ah sure just one or two then

Guess my lack of a definite prediction meant I was dropped :o

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Just wondering. What can I bring through airport customs/security in regard to gels, foodstuffs ie porridge etc Painkillers etc. Are there restrictions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Just wondering. What can I bring through airport customs/security in regard to gels, foodstuffs ie porridge etc Painkillers etc. Are there restrictions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Shouldn't be any worries, I've taken carry on gels to Spain, America and Hungary. Just pop all in the little plastic bag, pop it thorough the X-ray machine

opus|2:54:38|2:53:xx|1st Asics|Ah sure just one or two then

Ok must admit I'm always slow to make such public predictions but nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess :o

The Athlone 3/4 marathon went ok for me on Sun, instead of running with the 3h pace group like the last two times, did my own thing and ran it at just under actual 3h marathon pace (~2:58 to be exact). So anyway going to see if I can eke out some bit of improvement in Frankfurt, roll on the 26th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doc Q the 5th

DocQThe5th|2:50:18|2:39:59|1st Asics|do bears **** in the woods?
    opus|2:54:38|2:53:xx|1st Asics|Ah sure just one or two then

Just changing my alias to reflect the demise of the duke and my last and final boards name...

After a good bit of deliberation not moving the target either... Opus' post above sums up my attitude right now. Getting close - can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doc Q the 5th

Hey all- just checking in- how we all fixed? only 12 days!!!!

All fine here starting to get a bit stir crazy w/ the start of a taper but v. excited for this all the same. I know its wayyyyy too early but the very long range forecasts are looking very promising!

I've started peeking at the forecasts too. Getting excited about the whole thing, rather than nervous (though that may change next week). Have started distracting myself with important tasks like:
    * Figuring out how to get from the airport to the Hotel (thankfully pretty easy)
    * Finding an Italian restaurant near my hotel
    * Looking for convenience stores
    * Contemplating what beer to put into my beer bag for after the race
    * Trying to figure out what 'off-license' is in German
    * Identifying a non-posonous source of kebabs for after the drinking
    * Generally browsing Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Yeah nerves and anxieties of all sorts spinning around. It being my first marathon and all.

Was just casually reading some news just a second ago when I read this
    He was the third Ebola patient to be flown to Germany for treatment. The first man recovered and returned home to Senegal. A Uganda aid worker is still being treated in Frankfurt.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/14/who-new-ebola-cases-world-health-organisation

I'm more likely to win frankfurt and break the world record in sub 2 hours but still a little hysteria may be in order.;)

* Trying to figure out what 'off-license' is in German

That would be a Getränkemarkt :)

I've postponed as much of my race anxiety as possible 'til next week especially as the JD plan I've been vaguely following still wants me to run 18m tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

Lucky the flipping thing isn't on this Sunday, 22 degrees forecast. This time of the year it wouldn't be very warm at 10 o clock but by midday you'd start noticing it.

Gotta wait until tommorrow, until YR.no features the morning of Sunday 26th in it's long term weather forecast, but if Saturday is anything to go by (and if it turns out accurate!), then it looks like we're going to have a cracker. 2-10'C, very light breeze, zero rain.

The course map is pretty hard to follow, but seems to pass my my hotel three times, which is a bit of a mixed blessing. Anyone else staying near the main train station (Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof)?

We all up for the Pretzel run on Saturday morning?

If Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best' is playing when I enter the Festhalle at the finish line, I may just turn back.

Gotta wait until tommorrow, until YR.no features the morning of Sunday 26th in it's long term weather forecast, but if Saturday is anything to go by (and if it turns out accurate!), then it looks like we're going to have a cracker. 2-10'C, very light breeze, zero rain.

The course map is pretty hard to follow, but seems to pass my my hotel three times, which is a bit of a mixed blessing. Anyone else staying near the main train station (Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof)?

We all up for the Pretzel run on Saturday morning?

The place I'm staying is under a k from the train station I think. Must figure out what needs to be done for number pick up and see if I can offload it onto someone else so that I don't have to worry about it on Sat as would like to do the morning run as well.

Must admit I'm quite looking forward to the finish (dodgy 80's music notwithstanding) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

OPUS, there is no real delay picking up the number. I ran this last year and i was in and out in 10mins. It also allows you to judge how much time you'll need to navigate your way to the start-line the following morning. The best of luck, its a great Marathon. One I'd recommend.

OPUS, there is no real delay picking up the number. I ran this last year and i was in and out in 10mins. It also allows you to judge how much time you'll need to navigate your way to the start-line the following morning. The best of luck, its a great Marathon. One I'd recommend.

Thanks for that, I spent some quality time with Google maps last night & am happy with locations now. Should be able to visit the export on the Fri evening leaving all Sat free for the breakfast run & then some quality lazing around :)

Might well see if there's a segway tour knocking around as I did that in Berlin before the marathon and it was good fun.

opus wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I spent some quality time with Google maps last night & am happy with locations now. Should be able to visit the export on the Fri evening leaving all Sat free for the breakfast run & then some quality lazing around :)

Might well see if there's a segway tour knocking around as I did that in Berlin before the marathon and it was good fun.
    Ironically, I enquired along similar lines (Segway Citytours), and unless your German is up to scratch, forget about it. No English tours on the Saturday, but you can avail of a private tour...
    The amount is 169,- Euro for 1 hour and 269,- Euro for 2 hours.
    I said no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

The train station is a one stop shop for all foods, both pre marathon and post marathon. Some convienience stores in there too.

This time next week.....um.... It'll be the day before the marathon...
    There are 51 entries from Ireland. Must be a few non-posters keeping an eye on this thread. Pop by and say hello. Hopefully we'll see some of you on the 26th.

You can now sign on to the Frankfurt marathon Facebook ticker, to auto-publish your splits to your Facebook account (if you're into that kind of thing).

Weather watch: Current forecast from yr.no is overcast and dry, 9'C, and a light breeze (2m/s), so couldn't ask for better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

This time next week.....um.... It'll be the day before the marathon...
    There are 51 entries from Ireland. Must be a few non-posters keeping an eye on this thread. Pop by and say hello. Hopefully we'll see some of you on the 26th.

You can now sign on to the Frankfurt marathon Facebook ticker, to auto-publish your splits to your Facebook account (if you're into that kind of thing).

Weather watch: Current forecast from yr.no is overcast and dry, 9'C, and a light breeze (2m/s), so couldn't ask for better.

Is there a tracker though? I'd like to keep an eye on you boys next week...

Advertisement