Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Marathon - 26th October 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunguska wrote: »
    Is there a tracker though? I'd like to keep an eye on you boys next week...
    The tracking link should be here, next week (currently not set up).
    I see Paul Duffy is registered. Is he running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The tracking link should be here, next week (currently not set up).
    I see Paul Duffy is registered. Is he running?

He is indeed. He's in good shape, and if he can rein himself in over the first half(and with Paul that's a big "if") he'll run well under 2:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Well, what flights out we all getting and home? In on the 5:55pm flight Friday and travelling home 3 on Monday afternoon. Presumably the train into city centre still runs at 9:30 at night?

Well, what flights out we all getting and home? In on the 5:55pm flight Friday and travelling home 3 on Monday afternoon. Presumably the train into city centre still runs at 9:30 at night?
    Yeah, the S-Bahn S8 and S9 run from the airport from 4:30am to 1:30am, every 15 minutes, 7 days a week. This is Germany, after all. :) There is also a regional train which you can take to the city, but the S8/S9 should do ya!

Think we're travelling back around that time (Lufthansa LH980), but flying over a little earlier (12pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best' is playing when I enter the Festhalle at the finish line, I may just turn back.

Sure don't you do some mad cool down miles after your runs couldn't you just run to Nutbush City limits :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I've travelling via that beautiful airport in Hahn (#7 in a bad airport list a friend kindly sent me!). Staying in Frankfurt 'til Monday afternoon & then heading east for a week's break with friends.

Mr Daniels had something in his plan for me today but instead I went with a 6k cycle, 2m warm-up, 10k race (Rebel Run) (mainly MP with a few tempo k's thrown in) & a 6k cycle home.

It's definitely taper time now :pac:

Sure don't you do some mad cool down miles after your runs couldn't you just run to Nutbush City limits :)
    I thought my post-race mad cool down mile antics were covered by doctor physio patient confidentiality rules? :)

Weather seems to be holding strong, with 10-14'C forecast, with a chance of rain. Not really running related, but there's a TripAdvisor app for Android and iPhone, which works off line and does simple (compass pointer) navigation. Might help you find your way to the Zu den 12 Aposteln, after a couple of beers. Speaking of which, these bar/restaurants can be sticklers for bookings. Can we get a show of hands for anyone that's interested in coming along for a bite to eat/some beverages so we can lash in an online reservation? Maybe for 6:30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I thought my post-race mad cool down mile antics were covered by doctor physio patient confidentiality rules? :)

Weather seems to be holding strong, with 10-14'C forecast, with a chance of rain. Not really running related, but there's a TripAdvisor app for Android and iPhone, which works off line and does simple (compass pointer) navigation. Might help you find your way to the Zu den 12 Aposteln, after a couple of beers. Speaking of which, these bar/restaurants can be sticklers for bookings. Can we get a show of hands for anyone that's interested in coming along for a bite to eat/some beverages so we can lash in an online reservation? Maybe for 6:30pm?

Folks, are people meeting up before that Apostles gig? Say 4 or so? I'll be heading towards airport around 8 o clock so the formal booking thing might be cutting it fine. Few jars would be nice .........

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, are people meeting up before that Apostles gig? Say 4 or so? I'll be heading towards airport around 8 o clock so the formal booking thing might be cutting it fine. Few jars would be nice .........
    Hi Itziger, my own plan would be to finish the race, grab a shower at the finish line, few scoops on the premises for a couple of hours, waddle up the road to the hotel for a change of clothes and abandoning of bags (maybe a second shower) then head away to whichever suitable hostelry will accommodate us. From prior Berlin experiences, Sunday nights in German bar/restaurants can be quiet and proprietors can be grumpy, when 8-14 people arrive un-announced on their doorsteps, looking for food and beer. but I'm happy to go any time, and it'd be a shame not to co-celebrate your achievement before you head for your flight. icon14.png

Hi Itziger, my own plan would be to finish the race, grab a shower at the finish line, few scoops on the premises for a couple of hours, waddle up the road to the hotel for a change of clothes and abandoning of bags (maybe a second shower) then head away to whichever suitable hostelry will accommodate us. From prior Berlin experiences, Sunday nights in German bar/restaurants can be quiet and proprietors can be grumpy, when 8-14 people arrive un-announced on their doorsteps, looking for food and beer. but I'm happy to go any time, and it'd be a shame not to co-celebrate your achievement before you head for your flight. icon14.png

Hehe, I like your 'wind-up' confidence trick. If I do finish in 3 hours, that makes it 1pm. I'll head directly to hotel (looks like 1k from Festhalle/finish) for shower and change.... say 2pm. Then I'm free and easy till 8 or so. Now if I start cramping and fainting like I did in Rotterdam a few years back those plans could change!

• Advertisement

I'll be doing similar to KC, hang around the festhalle for one or two, then back to hotel for a bit before evening pints wherever. I'm flying solo so happy to go wherever the majority decide but wouldn't be massively excited about a formal sit down meal unless it's necessary. Pub grub would be the job

I'll be doing similar to KC, hang around the festhalle for one or two, then back to hotel for a bit before evening pints wherever. I'm flying solo so happy to go wherever the majority decide but wouldn't be massively excited about a formal sit down meal unless it's necessary. Pub grub would be the job
    Yeah, the 12 apostles is just a bar/bar food. Sure we'll play it by ear. Hate the idea of booking something anyway, when you don't know who/when people who are shagged tired from a marathon will show-up. I have enough stress with Lufthansa pilot strikes. :(

Anyone want to volunteer to collect e-mail addresses/mobile numbers and send a group e-mail? Dr Quirky is nervously sitting by, wondering what's happening on the thread and wants to make sure he doesn't miss the festivities at the weekend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Best of luck to all running, hope you all achieve your target, and that the craic is ninety. Especially wishing you well Krusty and confident you'll attain yours. It will really be a mighty buzz for you when you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

When he said he'd be hanging around for one or two - he meant HOURS... until I cross the finish line :D:P

He won't be lost for a bit of company. I'd say the Festhalle is a major party atmosphere, so as decent a place as any to hang around afterwards and rehydrate and slap each other on the backs, or go on a warmdown run, whatever floats the respective boats!

B0F-nZ3CUAENOnP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I'd certainly be on for a beverage or two after the finish. Pretty sure I read on the website that there was somewhere in there with showers available as that's the only thing that would make me head back to the hotel straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck to all you guys'n'gals in Frankfurt this weekend. It was one I was considering back in Spring but failed to work it into my plans.
    For what it's worth a Whatsapp group would be just the job for arranging pints/food/meetups over the course of the weekend. Enjoy!

PS Will we be seeing a few of you in McGrattan's on Monday? I presume KC/Emer wouldn't let the side down for sure. Itzy might struggle though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

All the best to the crew heading for this. A few inspiring stories would be just the job for us bound for the DCM on Monday!

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck to all you guys'n'gals in Frankfurt this weekend. It was one I was considering back in Spring but failed to work it into my plans.
    For what it's worth a Whatsapp group would be just the job for arranging pints/food/meetups over the course of the weekend. Enjoy!

PS Will we be seeing a few of you in McGrattan's on Monday? I presume KC/Emer wouldn't let the side down for sure. Itzy might struggle though!

You wan' some?

(10 and a half stone of beer drinking machinery here, fella)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Itziger wrote: »
    You wan' some?

(10 and a half stone of beer drinking machinery here, fella)

I merely alluded to your Tax Exile status over there in Luxemburg and it's associated transportation limitations as opposed to your Murphy's drinking ability!;)

belcarra wrote: »
    I merely alluded to your Tax Exile status over there in Luxemburg and it's associated transportation limitations as opposed to your Murphy's drinking ability!;)

Ah, misread your post. Funny thing is I'm flying into the luxurious surroundings of Kerry Int. Airport as the Dublin marathon finishes. Lux>Frankfurt>Lux>(by car)Hahn>Kerry. The last three bits probably on well dodgy legs. The jet setting life, eh.

(Wonder could 'Stazza' organise an old CastleIsland Marathon with myself and Paddy The Kenyan while I'm down that way?)

Tracking page is now live. Weather forecast is perfect. If only the fricking Lufthansa pilots would play ball. :mad:

Tacking page is now live. Weather forecast is perfect. If only the fricking Lufthansa pilots would play ball. :mad:

What's happening with the strike anyway? I've heard nothing

B0//0(k$, just read that article you linked KC! Any contingency arrangements?

B0//0(k$, just read that article you linked KC! Any contingency arrangements?
    Nah. I'm going to leave it closer to the date. There are lots of alternative flight possibilities (though they'll probably be a little dearer come Friday). Lufthansa will offer alternative flights or a refund in the event that the strike affects flights.

Cool, I was having insane thoughts about trying to sneak into the Dublin marathon with somebody else's number! Sure, I suppose worst case, they'll get us over on Saturday sometime somehow as you say.

I didn't get any correspondence back about the team event, I think we missed the boat in that one.

If the weather forecast is right we won't be able to use that as an excuse (Damnit!)

I especially like the lack of breeze - almost total lack. We had the tail end of that 'hurricane' yesterday and it was a bit messy for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck splitters everyone!

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Good luck splitters everyone!
    Where were you on the 28th October 2013?
    I can't tell you where you weren't. ;)

Advertisement