Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Half, Full and Ultra 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cheers. When you say hills do they need to be inclines of upto a mile or does it make a difference. I do a 2.5k circuit with a hill for 200m.

The two big climbs in Connemara are both about 2 miles long. A 200 meter hill isn't going to prepare you for that unless you run it up and down 20 times in a row.

It depends what your expectations are. If you just want to finish you'll be fine even if you're training exclusively on the flat. Just take it easy when you got to those hills in the race. But if you have any ambitions about finishing in a good time, you need to get your legs prepared for teh hills, and that means running hills - big long hills, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

I just signed up for the Ultra yesterday. Got a lot of work to do, my last marathon was in 2012, but I'm probably in better shape now than I was then.

PB for the marathon is 3:06, I'm aiming for about 5:30 for the Ultra. I hope that's realistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

I just signed up for the Ultra yesterday. Got a lot of work to do, my last marathon was in 2012, but I'm probably in better shape now than I was then.

PB for the marathon is 3:06, I'm aiming for about 5:30 for the Ultra. I hope that's realistic!

Was the 3.06 pb in your last marathon in 2012? I did the 2012 Connemara Ultra in 5h44m - that was off a marathon pb of 3.15 in Dublin 2010 which was also the last marathon I'd run before that ultra...did 5.21 last year in the 2013 Conne Ultra (hadn't competed at all since the 5.44 effort)...I put my improvement down to mixed-paced marathon-distance training runs & avoiding back-to-back slow long ones...I'd say it's more than realistic if you ensure that you pace it intelligently...the first time I did this ultra I did the first 2 thirds in 3.45 with the last third taking just under 2 hours...last year, the first 2 thirds took 3.30 with a 1.51 for the last third...so it's obvious if you look through the splits from previous years that it's the 3rd half-marathon that it'll inevitably hit you...my mara pb is now 3.09 (Dub 2013) & I'm hoping for a 5.10 this year...a 3.20 mara followed by a 1.50 final third - we'll see..:rolleyes:

Ah cool. Yeah my pb was in the last marathon I did back in 2012. I've been keeping up with relatively long runs but nothing like the distance needed for an ultra. Reading Scott Jurek's book got me interested in ultras but also gave me some confidence to take the plunge. Pacing correctly and avoiding the wall is something I'm acutely aware of getting right. Some good advice there on pacing, very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Was the 3.06 pb in your last marathon in 2012? I did the 2012 Connemara Ultra in 5h44m - that was off a marathon pb of 3.15 in Dublin 2010 which was also the last marathon I'd run before that ultra...did 5.21 last year in the 2013 Conne Ultra (hadn't competed at all since the 5.44 effort)...I put my improvement down to mixed-paced marathon-distance training runs & avoiding back-to-back slow long ones...I'd say it's more than realistic if you ensure that you pace it intelligently...the first time I did this ultra I did the first 2 thirds in 3.45 with the last third taking just under 2 hours...last year, the first 2 thirds took 3.30 with a 1.51 for the last third...so it's obvious if you look through the splits from previous years that it's the 3rd half-marathon that it'll inevitably hit you...my mara pb is now 3.09 (Dub 2013) & I'm hoping for a 5.10 this year...a 3.20 mara followed by a 1.50 final third - we'll see..:rolleyes:

Your times give me some useful guidance as I head towards my first conn ultra.

Any particular reason for dropping the b2b runs..did they leave you too tired or injured or did you feel the extra effort to do them didn't really benefit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

Ferris B wrote: »
    Your times give me some useful guidance as I head towards my first conn ultra.

Any particular reason for dropping the b2b runs..did they leave you too tired or injured or did you feel the extra effort to do them didn't really benefit you.

No scientific/physiological known-reason as to why i dropped the b2b ones - but did read somewhere that endocrine system benefits more from longer ones with a few faster miles thrown in for ultra prep than slow b2bs...i dunno...
    more accomplished ultras on here will tell you..for me, slow b2bs just weren't thrilling & kind of were a cloud in the run-up to ultra...just didn't enjoy 'em...& lack of enjoyment affected my running 'buzz'...also, b2bs are run at such a slow pace that they in no way mimic race-day conditions...& given the last part of ultras is so determined by psychology as well as fitness, i think they mislead the runner re their condition...but, as is i say, far more accomplished ultras on this thread will fill you in..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I used to do long b2b runs when I did my first few ultras, but eventually decided that recovery took to long to make them worthwhile.

I still do a kind of b2b workout, but differently. These days I do a tempo run on Saturday and a long run on Sunday, which works much better for me. But remember that we are all different and everyone needs to find out for themselves what works for them.

Btw, 5:30 is a very conservative target for a 3:06 marathon runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Enduro

Once you go beyond the marathon distance you get a lot of different opinions about what is most effective in terms of training plans. It's good to see that people here work out what's best for them and go with it. What other people do isn't necessarily going to be relevant. Even in the elite end of ultra running you get a lot of variation. Personally I'm a much bigger fan of b2b long runs these days. I wouldn't have had the time to do them so much in the past, but I reckon they are great ultra prep, with the second one being the key, as you're getting very close to replicating race conditions, so I reckon there should be some very useful adaptation as a result.

I reckon the longer a race is the more critical pacing becomes. Not many people try to aim for negative splits in ultras, but a large number of my best races have been where I have managed an even or negative split. My Conn PB is almost perfectly round (4:29:50), and to get that I ran an almost perfectly even paced race, doing the 3 half marathons in almost exactly 1:30 (And when you run that pace you don't even need a watch to tell you, as the marathon and half started just I reached their start lines :)) So my very strong advice is don't aim for a positive split. At worst aim for even splits. Preferably set out nice and steady with the aim of having tons in the tank to race home. Jog out the first marathon. Race the last half home.

I agree with TBF that 5:30 is very conservative for a 3:06 marathon runner. Closer to 5:00 I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Enduro wrote: »
    Once you go beyond the marathon distance you get a lot of different opinions about what is most effective in terms of training plans. It's good to see that people here work out what's best for them and go with it. What other people do isn't necessarily going to be relevant. Even in the elite end of ultra running you get a lot of variation. Personally I'm a much bigger fan of b2b long runs these days. I wouldn't have had the time to do them so much in the past, but I reckon they are great ultra prep, with the second one being the key, as you're getting very close to replicating race conditions, so I reckon there should be some very useful adaptation as a result.

On an aside, kind of. I've often thought that b2b long runs was a safer way for people aiming for 4-5hrs or over in a marathon to get some of their long running in. You reduce injury risk, you can get better quality in, especially as, as yous ay, your body is under race conditions on day two. You need the odd 1 or two single long run I guess, but most of the adaptions can be achieved via b2b.
    The elite marathon guys are doing similar with 2 big sessions (usually same day) with a lot of rest/supercompensation after, and I wonder did this idea originate from looking at some ultra long run blocks.
    Was wondering. Do you alter recovery time for these as well as length for progression? Or how do you schedule them? Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Enduro

T runner wrote: »
    On an aside, kind of. I've often thought that b2b long runs was a safer way for people aiming for 4-5hrs or over in a marathon to get some of their long running in. You reduce injury risk, you can get better quality in, especially as, as yous ay, your body is under race conditions on day two. You need the odd 1 or two single long run I guess, but most of the adaptions can be achieved via b2b.
    The elite marathon guys are doing similar with 2 big sessions (usually same day) with a lot of rest/supercompensation after, and I wonder did this idea originate from looking at some ultra long run blocks.
    Was wondering. Do you alter recovery time for these as well as length for progression? Or how do you schedule them? Thks

That's interesting about the Marathon elites.

Given my target races I'm pushing out extremes these days. For example 2 weekends ago it was 2x 5.5 hour runs . I usually try and follow the 2 with my easiest running day afterwards. In reality this translates as an easy paced run on one of my shorter regular loops in the Dublin hills. I've been wearing minimalist shoes for one day a week for the last few months, seeing if they had any training value. One effect of wearing the minimalist shoes on that terraine is it has the effect of keeping my mind focused on running form, and by necessity keeping my speed lower. So the day after the B2B runs is when my "minimalist day" :) So overall I find that a useful recovery day. (In my own head I have found that the harsher feedback from minimalist shoes has improved my running form... whether that is the reality or not I don't really know, but I do feel like I'm running more effectively as a result).

As usual, if I'm feeling really tired on any given day I'll happily skip a session. I usually find that's more likely to occur two days after the b2b runs, rather than immediately afterwards (I have no explanation for that!). that'd be quite rare though.

And on a second aside, It struck me the other day that the harsher feedback from the minimalist shoes is probably also great long distance ultra training. Tired feet from simply being on your feet for a long time is one of the harder things to deal with in ultra races, and I reckon that minimalist/barefoot running would help in toughening up the feet to adapt for this. Just my own little theory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did my LSR today. I did 22k on a hilly road. The hills were pretty tough, some tough climbs but it should be good preparation. My hip was a bit tender after my tempo run yesterday and was in 2 minds about going out today but glad I did. I did a few core stretches before going out. The hip was at me a small bit. I will know more tomorrow I guess. The last 2 weeks I have got in over 40km, something I thought would be a struggle. I am generally doing about 3 runs in the week plus a 5 aside soccer game and some swimming. Don't want to push the body too much and want to avoid injury. I don't think I'd enjoy running 5 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Half:
    Skittles8710 No PB first Half, Target 1:59:59
    Tigerandahalf
    Registeredmice NOPB cos first, Target 1:50
    ultraman1's da

Full:
    Jet Black
    echancrure NOPB cos first, Target 3:??:59
    FBOT01 03:20
    cailineile
    ger664(if i survive Seville)
    NameThatTune
    Bladeserver
    PDCAT
    Martyboy48
    quinlivan
    theboyblunder

Ultra:
    Ferris B 5:29
    opus
    Cabaal Under 6:00
    TFBubendorfer PB 4:53:34, Target 4:53:33
    ultraman1 5:20
    Aimman
    Redtop
    Canine Marathoner PB 5.21.XX, Target 5.10.XX
    BrokenMan
    guysmiley (between 6:00 and 6:30)
    cookie77

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Revising my target

Half:
    Tigerandahalf
    ultraman1's da

Full:
    Jet Black
    cailineile
    NameThatTune
    Bladeserver
    PDCAT
    Martyboy48
    quinlivan
    theboyblunder

Ultra:
    opus
    Cabaal 5:39
    Aimman
    Redtop
    BrokenMan
    cookie77

Body and mind are pretty slow today! My hip is sore and tight and I am walking tenderly. My other hip is fine so not sure what the issue is. Seems to be on the outside of my hip bone. Slept like a baby last night! Even though I drank a good bit of water after my run my urine was really yellow/orange this morning, not a good sign. I think I need to just drink more before runs. I would sweat quite a bit so obviously am losing a fair share of water. I suppose drinking a half bottle of wine the previous night wouldnt have helped either.

Adding my Ultra target (revised from previous post).

Half:
    Tigerandahalf
    ultraman1's da

Full:
    Jet Black
    cailineile
    NameThatTune
    Bladeserver
    PDCAT
    Martyboy48
    quinlivan
    theboyblunder

Ultra:
    opus
    Aimman
    Redtop
    BrokenMan
    cookie77
    ArtieFufkin 4:45 to 5:00

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Half:
    Tigerandahalf
    ultraman1's da

Full:
    Jet Black
    cailineile
    NameThatTune
    Bladeserver NOPB First time, Target 4:00
    PDCAT
    Martyboy48
    quinlivan
    theboyblunder

Ultra:
    opus
    Aimman
    Redtop
    BrokenMan
    cookie77

Hi all,

I am Dublin based. Can anybody recommend some suitable "hills" that I can train on for my long run at the weekend? Would you advise on strength training as I am doing two full body workouts which incorporate legs with the hope of building up some strength and resistance!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

5:00

Hi all,

I am Dublin based. Can anybody recommend some suitable "hills" that I can train on for my long run at the weekend? ?
    dublin mts,loops of howth hill,,knockmaroon hill,ballyfermot/chapelizard hill

Half:
    Tigerandahalf No PB First Half Target 1.45 - 1.50
    ultraman1's da

Full:
    Jet Black
    cailineile
    NameThatTune
    Bladeserver NOPB First time, Target 4:00
    PDCAT
    Martyboy48
    quinlivan
    theboyblunder

Ultra:
    opus
    Aimman
    Redtop
    BrokenMan
    cookie77

Not sure what I should be aiming for as it is my first half. I don't want to be setting too much of a target as I want to enjoy the race and just let it flow I guess without worrying too much about the time. I don't know the course either. I might drive out to have a look just to get an idea. As the race is not til April the warmer weather could also be an issue. A sudden 20c day could be tough.

Going running in the Tony McGowan 10K in Drumshanbo tomorrow. First race since Tuam. Entered today. Very good value at €10 including a t-shirt.
    It is meant to be a good fast flat circuit so should be a good challenge. The last 10k I did was very hilly. I did that in around 46 mins +.
    I haven't done much this week sine my LSR on Sunday, just did 7/8km on Wed eve pretty easy as it was icy and my hip was tender. Haven't done anything since then so hoping the body should be recovered.

Really enjoyed the Tony McGowan race yesterday. Really well run and brilliant value. Fabulous spread of food afterwards. Handed a bottle of Lucozade sport as I went over the line and access to plenty others inside. It is a really flat course very suitable for doing a PB. Beautiful area around there too.
    I am thinking of targeting a 10 mile next before the half at Connemara, possibly the Craughwell 10.
    Ran under 42 minutes so really chuffed with that. I have had a target of 40 minutes in my head for a while and I'm getting closer to it.

• Advertisement

I've been running up Howth a fair bit as part of my hill training but I wouldn't mind a bit of variety. I'm looking for routes in Dublin mtns that would include hills of a similar profile to the hilly bits in Connemara.

Anyone got any nice routes that are relatively easy to access (coming from de northside) for 10m - 20m+ runs. Also I don't plan on taking a map+compass so need to be relatively easy to navigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've been running up Howth a fair bit as part of my hill training but I wouldn't mind a bit of variety. I'm looking for routes in Dublin mtns that would include hills of a similar profile to the hilly bits in Connemara.

Anyone got any nice routes that are relatively easy to access (coming from de northside) for 10m - 20m+ runs. Also I don't plan on taking a map+compass so need to be relatively easy to navigate.

Most of the hilly road routes around Dublin mountains would probably be a bit steeper than the Conn Route

If you wanted you could park or run to Bohernabreena resevoir and head up into the hills from there. The run 'up' would be about the same gardient as Connemara but with longer climbs (3-4 miles straight) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/196891749.
    Nice scenery up around there as well!!

When are you planning to come this area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Most of the hilly road routes around Dublin mountains would probably be a bit steeper than the Conn Route

If you wanted you could park or run to Bohernabreena resevoir and head up into the hills from there. The run 'up' would be about the same gardient as Connemara but with longer climbs (3-4 miles straight) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/196891749.
    Nice scenery up around there as well!!

When are you planning to come this area?

We should meet up and do the resevoir, out the back, up through Glenasmole and back to the resevoir... I'll let you two off for a second loop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    We should meet up and do the resevoir, out the back, up through Glenasmole and back to the resevoir... I'll let you two off for a second loop!

+1!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

If you can get yourself to Marley Park you've plenty of options. Here's a loop I did up to Kilmashogue Forest, over to Ticknock and down back to Marley. It's a clear path all the way around. I did a good few of my long runs around here before Conn last year.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/443262378

Loads of options to explore here

digger2d2 wrote: »

Sounds like a plan. I'm game anytime over the next few weekends.

Not sure of the mileage for the above route but my next 4 sat/sun runs (in mls)are 16/10, 20/16, 18/10, 25/12. The sat and sun runs can be interchanged. I tend to run sat pm and sunday am.

statss wrote: »
    If you can get yourself to Marley Park you've plenty of options. Here's a loop I did up to Kilmashogue Forest, over to Ticknock and down back to Marley. It's a clear path all the way around. I did a good few of my long runs around here before Conn last year.

Thanks for that Statss. Your long run option there looks nice. Good variety of pace too in your run 7:29 -> 11:41.:eek:

Dublin mtns website looks like it's worth checking out...might have to invest in a survival bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

statss wrote: »

You seem to spend quite a bit of time in Dublin mountains car parks.... The Stan Collymore of A/R ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Half:
    Tigerandahalf No PB First Half Target 1.45 - 1.50
    ultraman1's da

Full:
    Jet Black
    echancrure NOPB cos first, Target 3:25
    cailineile