Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best veg roast to get for christmas dinner?

Options
  • 16-11-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all

So as the title says, just wondering what are people's recommendations for best/tastiest etc veg roasts for christmas dinner?
    I'm the only vegetarian in the house, and with no fuss it's been offered that it will be cooked for me, and I can have my own stuffing, gravy etc free from and that hasn't been in contact with meet.

So, recommendations appreciated?
    Also, is there any gravy mix that I should make sure is not used for my dinner, like that has chicken stock or something?
    Any other pitfalls I should watch out for as well would be great to know.
    P.S:
    It's a prepared roast we're looking for, like that you can by from MNS, health food shop etc.
    I did ring health matters today, and the only one they have is a quorn one...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

As in store bought? I don't mind the Quorn ones or the linda mccartney ones. but there does be a fair few decent recipes around here for cooking your own nut roast.
    I want to give this a go this year, I might need a practice run to make sure it goes well.

some examples here.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/seasonal/christmas/vegetarian

http://www.thekitchn.com/winter-recipe-classic-vegetarian-nut-loaf-102222

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24650/vegetarian-nut-loaf.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

folamh wrote: »

Tesco used to do fabulous nut cutlets but they haven't had them in years. How does it work to order these? Surely coming from the UK they would lose something/defrost. I know there is a special box but just ordering a pack or two doesn't seem worth it? Do they arrive just as you had bought them a few hours ago in s supermarket
    is there a place in Ireland to get these?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Terri26 wrote: »
    Tesco used to do fabulous nut cutlets but they haven't had them in years. How does it work to order these? Surely coming from the UK they would lose something/defrost. I know there is a special box but just ordering a pack or two doesn't seem worth it? Do they arrive just as you had bought them a few hours ago in s supermarket
    is there a place in Ireland to get these?
    I've seen them in a lot of Irish health stores. If your local health store doesn't have them I'm sure they'd have no problem ordering it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

The Quay Co-Op in Cork offer three types of nut-roast (they had them at the 'Rude Health' (or whatever it's called now) show in the RDS in September). I tried the vegan one and it was very tasty. Perhaps your local health food store might be able to get one in? The brand is 'Thank Goodness Ltd'. Actually, I see on their website that they offer their products in many health food shops around Ireland (see here), so I'm sure your local health food shop could get them in.

Making a nutroast yourself isn't too difficult - there are many recipes on-line and in vegetarian cookbooks (check your local library! E.g. Rose Elliot's books).

Redwood do a mock meat 'Turkey' roast that's grand, but I'd say the nut roasts are a lot more flavoursome. I've seen a Redwood mock meat version with stuffing in the past (delicious, but I haven't seen that product again in quite some time), and they do one in a pack with 'sausages' wrapped in 'bacon' too (it's called a 'Celebration Roast'). A bit of fun indeed!

As regards gravy - you have to watch out as some gravies or vegetable stock cubes may not be vegetarian, but as far as I know, the original Bisto granules are vegan/veggie, if you ware looking for an instant variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Just a bit more about the 'Thank Goodness' nutroast - at the RDS show the Quay Co-Op said they make the nutroasts now, and I was confused after seeing on the website that it is a UK company, but in their 'Our Story' section:
    2013: In January we receive our biggest order yet from a wholesaler and decide to move into larger premises, but the next day we receive an offer from a reliable sub- contractor to produce for us under licence. (They’re the Quay Co-op in Cork. After running some trial batches we trust them completely as the team there is dedicated to producing only top quality produce - and it includes Bernadette’s brother Arthur and sometimes Saol, her great- nephew.) In May the first pallets are dispatched to wholesalers in the U.K. and Ireland and Bernadette now has time to do the marketing and product development she’s always wanted to do.
    It's great to see an Irish company involved in their production! I might just treat myself to one this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Hi sweet-rasmus
    I will definitely go for one of those then. There is a certain satisfaction in knowing your supporting an irish company, while all the while enjoying a cruelty free tasty christmas dinner.
    :) thanks for posting this

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

The nut loaf from Avoca is sooooo delicious! You can just wrap it in foil and squeeze it in somewhere in the oven, and it's great the next day with stuffing in a sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

roweeeeena wrote: »
    The nut loaf from Avoca is sooooo delicious! You can just wrap it in foil and squeeze it in somewhere in the oven, and it's great the next day with stuffing in a sandwich!

Thanks for this.
    Is it difficult to get a hold of do you know? When do they start selling it, and is it only available in particular stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

afterglow wrote: »
    Thanks for this.
    Is it difficult to get a hold of do you know? When do they start selling it, and is it only available in particular stores?

No they sell it all year round and I've seen it in the Wicklow Street and Kilmac branches

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Down to Earth have good roasts, the beef one is the best. Probably around 6/7 euro.

Advertisement