Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops for design

Options
  • 16-11-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, i currently use a HP Pavillion G6 series laptop and it's on it's way out. It's slow and doesn't run programs very well (i've had it for almost two years now) i have had to reset it a few times to help speed it up.

I study product design in University, and we will begin to use software such as CAD and Photoshop and other design software. I currently do a computer programming module and have had to download JCreator, a java programming software, and my laptop struggles hugely to run it, and it is quite a simple program needing little space and memory. I was looking at a macbook air 11/13" because of the great screen resolution of Apple products, and they seem to be the laptop of choice for anyone doing design. The Air was my first choice, because it's light and easy to carry around (also a bit cheaper than a Pro) and as a student that would be handy.

I have never used a mac, but have an iPhone and quite like apples software. The quality is great. Feedback on whether the investment into a macbook is worth it (i will be using it for complex design and for everyday college work) or are there any alternatives? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

What are the specs on the HP? Memory processor os etc.

Unless the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, I'd look at upgrading the HP first to get an other year out of it.
    Get a solid state drive and max out the memory.
    Unless it was a dog when you bought it, you should be able to get more than two years out of any laptop.

If you still want to get a new machine then your choice is going to be dictated by the software used on your course.

The Mac might be nicer looking, and might be what other people use, but you'll get a lot more for your money with a windows machine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

+ for for using an SSD + Memory - should be able to make it perform much better for less than a couple of hundred eur.

As for whether the macbook is worth it - only you can decide!

in terms of hard cash- they do for now tend to hold their resale value quite well..

I have been on the look out for a machine for myself the last few months and have been tempted by a higher end rMBP a few times, but due to the complete difficulty in self upgrading parts (almost impossible in latest models) I have decided for me its not worth it..

Advertisement