Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me identify this Dublin location from 1955

Options
  • 16-11-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I've come across this old photo (attached) and am looking to get it colorised.

Unfortunately, I'm having some difficulty with the background colours. I know the photo was taken in 1955 and it's somewhere in the city centre, possibly in the Upper O'Connell St area.

I'd like to know the location and any details in relation to colour of storefronts etc anybody on here might be able to offer so that I can get the colours right

http://imgur.com/bI8BrJK

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

No attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ah here, its ****ing enormous. Can you resize it and post it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dublin1955

Apologies,

Added link to original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Looks like outside the Savoy on O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

just asked my hubby, he thinks it outside the adelphi on middle abbey street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's the Savoy (part of the sign for Prescott's can be seen - it was next door).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mylostaccount

Yep looks like the Savoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Wishbone is correct, you can also just about make out show names and times under the canopy of the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suggest contacting the Savoy regarding colours etc.. It would strike me as the sort of place has some sort of an archive of photos, or knows someone who has.

There was a book out a few years ago about the history of Dublin cinemas. It might have some colour pics in it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement