Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry requirements?

• 16-11-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I'd like to do psychiatric nursing next year in college. I hope to get around 400 points maximum. However, I do not do any science subjects. It says on every psychiatric nursing entry requirements that at least one science subject is required..Is it 100% necessary and even if you get the points you won't get in because you don't have a science subject? I heard that UCD accept geography as a science subject, but I do not know how true that is.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

If it's on the course's entry requirements that a science is required, then you require a science subject. There's no way around it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well if it says in the entry requirements that you need at least one science subject, then yes, you need one science subject. If it wasn't 100% necessary to enter, then it wouldn't be a requirement.

Did your school not tell you to pick at least one science subject? Because it is necessary for a lot of courses and it's common knowledge to most students and all teachers. You must do at least one in my school.

Now, your last bit of hope is different college's definitions of what exactly qualifies as a science subject.

UCD, Psychiatric Nursing - DN453:
    Leaving Certificate: Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, Mathematics, one laboratory science subject & two other recognised subjects. Two of the six subjects must be minimum HC3.
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/course.do?courseID=24

No, Geography is not accepted as a science subject in UCD:
    (2) The following subjects in the Irish Leaving Certificate are recognised laboratory science subjects: Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Chemistry (Joint), Physics.
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/entry_ug.ezc#2

Here's Trinity's Mental Health Nursing - TR095:

TR095 |Mental health nursing | See note 15
    15 A grade D on the ordinary or higher paper in mathematics
    and in one of biology, physics, chemistry, physics/chemistry
    or agricultural science.

From TCD 2014 Undergraduate Prospectus, page 34 and 36.

Do you do Agricultural Science?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 garfunkleaj

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Well if it says in the entry requirements that you need at least one science subject, then yes, you need one science subject. If it wasn't 100% necessary to enter, then it wouldn't be a requirement.

Did your school not tell you to pick at least one science subject? Because it is necessary for a lot of courses and it's common knowledge to most students and all teachers. You must do at least one in my school.

Now, you're last bit of hope is what exactly qualifies as a science subject.

UCD, Psychiatric Nursing - DN453:

https://myucd.ucd.ie/course.do?courseID=24

No, Geography is not accepted as a science subject in UCD:

Here's Trinity's Mental Health Nursing - TR095:

From TCD 2014 Undergraduate Prospectus, page 34 and 36.

Do you do Agricultural Science?

No, I don't. This is really frustrating. I would be up for taking up ag science but the project involved..I don't know what to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi there,

I'd like to do psychiatric nursing next year in college. I hope to get around 400 points maximum. However, I do not do any science subjects. It says on every psychiatric nursing entry requirements that at least one science subject is required..Is it 100% necessary and even if you get the points you won't get in because you don't have a science subject? I heard that UCD accept geography as a science subject, but I do not know how true that is.

Thank you :)

On the UCD wesbite it says a laboratory science is a requirement for entry to psychiatric nursing

Also from their website the subjects classed as lab sciences are:
    The following subjects in the Irish Leaving Certificate are recognised laboratory science subjects: Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Chemistry (Joint), Physics.

If you don't have one of the above subjects you will not be accepted if even you have 600 points, you do not meet requirements. There is no way around this.

You will need to check each of the colleges that offer psych nursing and check each of the requirements and see if any of them accept applications without a science, honestly I doubt it.

On the other hand, the grade requirement for UCD for example is an Ordinary Level D3 in a lab science subject. Maybe you could take up a science subject at ordinary level just to meet the requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Try castlebar I don't think science is a requirement there

• Advertisement
Advertisement