Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Headings - effects on SEO

Options
  • 16-11-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm using 'Headings' 1/2/3 on many of my pages - often simply for design purposes - to title a paragraph, a video or an image.

I'm worried this is going to interfere with SEO.

For instance on a video page I may have 12 videos each with its own title in Heading 2. (as well as meta description and keywords for page added with Yoast plugin)

Is this confusing for robots and for SEO?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Maple77 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm using 'Headings' 1/2/3 on many of my pages - often simply for design purposes - to title a paragraph, a video or an image.

I'm worried this is going to interfere with SEO.

For instance on a video page I may have 12 videos each with its own title in Heading 2. (as well as meta description and keywords for page added with Yoast plugin)

Is this confusing for robots and for SEO?

Thanks

You can reuse H2 & H3..6. You should only have one H1 though, ideally the page/content title

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

yoyo wrote: »
    You can reuse H2 & H3..6. You should only have one H1 though, ideally the page/content title

Nick

The only one h1 rule doesn't apply these days as long as it's semantically correct and not forced. Ie. use carefully and do not abuse it. There's syndication and other considerations behind this reasoning. If you are not dead sure what all that means you probably should stick to just one.

In the case of the OP, it sounds fine the way headings have been used; 12 h2s but those must be after a h1 for semantic correctness. Also check out html5 hgroup tag.

What would be of greater concern in the OP is the usage of meta keywords which are basically ignored and useless except for Bing using them for spam penalties if more than 3 keyword stems are used. I would simply advise that the meta keywords tag/attribute be not used at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Once you nest your heading correctly, you're doing the right thing.
    Each heading must be preceded by a "bigger" heading. h1 before h2, h2 before h3, etc.

I think what you're doing sounds like good use of headings, which is fine for SEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Maple77

Cheers lads , that cleared it up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Good choice with Yoast, and pretty much the rest of the advice in relation to heading tags was all spot on imo. I wouldn't worry about the semantics of it so much - heading tags just give clues to the search engines what the page content is about.

There's no issue with using multiple heading tags but at a higher level, try to bear in mind that each post/page is an opportunity to rank for something else so you should really only pro-actively optimise pages based on a single topic/keyword. Could be you are already doing that but just when you said there were 12 videos on a single page I thought I'd say it in case you're trying to optimise your page for 12 different keyphrases.

Neil

• Advertisement
Advertisement