Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven/Hob to table style cookware

Options
  • 16-11-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about getting a few new pieces of cookware for the kitchen, particularly of the oven/hob to table variety, and I was wondering if you folk could point me in the right direction to the ones I have in mind.

I've seen pieces like those below on various shows and recipe sites but I've yet to actually see them in any stores.

recipe-image-legacy-id--513531_11.jpgrecipe-image-legacy-id--1286468_8.jpg

While I'm aware of the heavier, cast-iron casserole dishes from the likes of Le Creuset and fully intend on getting one of them at some point in the future, I really do like the more rustic everyday look of the above ones. So, has anyone come across anything like them before and if you do, have you any experience in how useful they actually are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Perhaps I am wrong on this, but any dishes you use in the oven, couldn't you just bring those to the table instead of specifically buying a dish for that purpose? That is assuming you already have dishes that you'd use in the oven.

I've often used dishes like that, just basic dishes that would have cottage pie, stew etc in them and placed them on the table, on a cloth and everyone helped themselves. I didn't go out and buy specific dishes for that purpose.

I have a mixture of dishes from Heatons, Dunnes, Tescos, Shaws and two Le Cruset dishes from TK Maxx and have placed them on the cloth and never had any issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm pretty sure Le Crueset do nice colourful stoneware (?) dishes as well as cast iron. They'd be much cheaper too. Also, you should find some in the Denby range (check Debenhams, Homestore+More, etc). TK Maxx is also likely to have some.

I don't have one right now, but my mum has a couple and they're quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Perhaps I am wrong on this, but any dishes you use in the oven, couldn't you just bring those to the table instead of specifically buying a dish for that purpose? That is assuming you already have dishes that you'd use in the oven.
    I have a set of Circulon pots that can go in the oven which do the job just fine when it's just me but this is more for when I have friends over and I'm cooking for more folk and want to serve them at the table via something that doesn't have a large burning handle sticking out. :)

Faith wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Le Crueset do nice colourful stoneware (?) dishes as well as cast iron. They'd be much cheaper too. Also, you should find some in the Denby range (check Debenhams, Homestore+More, etc). TK Maxx is also likely to have some.
    I have some cheaper stoneware dishes for lasagnes, crumbles and the like but I don't think these particular dishes are like that. In Ramsay's Cookery course, for instance, he uses a similar looking dish to the one on the left to cook a rice pudding on the hob, the it goes into the oven to finish it off and finally straight onto the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

They had very similar ones in Aldi in or around January this year (2 different shapes, both with lids). I got the smaller higher one. I find them great as they retain heat really well - sometimes just heat it on the hob and use it to serve rice cooked in the microwave :D the height of laziness :D But yea they look well on the table, the one I got is a mid-grey colour but I think they had a pale blue option too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, Debenhams have a whole section devoted to what you're looking for in terms of oven to table: http://www.debenhams.ie/home-furniture/cookware/oven-to-tableware. They would mostly be suitable for use on the hob too, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    They had very similar ones in Aldi in or around January this year (2 different shapes, both with lids). I got the smaller higher one. I find them great as they retain heat really well - sometimes just heat it on the hob and use it to serve rice cooked in the microwave :D the height of laziness :D But yea they look well on the table, the one I got is a mid-grey colour but I think they had a pale blue option too.
    Oh, what make is it dee_mc? That may help me track them down at least. :)

Faith wrote: »
    Well, Debenhams have a whole section devoted to what you're looking for in terms of oven to table: http://www.debenhams.ie/home-furniture/cookware/oven-to-tableware. They would mostly be suitable for use on the hob too, I'd imagine.
    Those stoneware dishes can't be used on a direct heat as far as I'm aware so that rules them out. All that's left from Debehnams is the heavier (and considerably more expensive) cast iron casserole dishes from Le Creuset and Denby. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

gizmo wrote: »
    Oh, what make is it dee_mc? That may help me track them down at least.

The name on the lid is Crofton Professional. I haven't seen the brand anywhere other than Aldi.
    http://photobucket.com/images/Crofton+cookware+professional/?page=1
    http://whatchagotcookin.blogspot.ie/2009/01/giving-lecreuset-run-for-money-crofton.html
    It cost around 20 euro as far as I remember, and seems to be very very similar to Le Creuset and Denby stuff. I'd recommend them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I have 2 stainless steel Stellar wide pan that have been really good for a hob/oven-to-table. They're deeper than paella pans and have lids so they're so versatile for curries, rice dishes stew, roasts, stir fries, the list is endless.

0142_zps794388ed.jpg

Ah, cheers for that dee_mc, I'll keep an eye out for them!

Yep, I'm beginning to think what I'm looking for is just slightly thinner (looking at least) cast iron with white enamel both inside and out and the rim just left bare for effect.
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I have 2 stainless steel Stellar wide pan that have been really good for a hob/oven-to-table. They're deeper than paella pans and have lids so they're so versatile for curries, rice dishes stew, roasts, stir fries, the list is endless.
    Yea, Circulon have a Saute and Chefs pan which are similar to that pictured. I had intended picking one of them, if only so that I could have a wider, covered pan for the types of dishes you mentioned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Hi gizmo,

Homestore and more have some cast iron at a reasonable price http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/pots+pans/icat/kitpotpan?sort=pdxtpriority&order=asc&categories=kitpotpan&perpage=32&q=*&pdxtfmaterial=Cast%20Iron

I've also seen similar in meadows & Byrne and tk maxx though in tk you have to be careful it's not stoneware.

Edit: just saw this on house of fraser website http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Cast+Iron+Cookware+Ranges/80324,default,sc.html if you are in dublin they will deliver for free to dundrum shop.

Compared to le cresuet the linea range is relatively inexpensive.

Really liking that low round one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

TK Maxx would be a good place to look, I got a gorgeous blue Denby dutch oven there for about 20 quid. Best pot in my kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I got this in Tesco last year, they had it as one of those offers with tokens collected, it was €40 with tokens. They have them online (pic below is from amazon) - it's quite heavy but really useful, and pretty too! Not sure what your budget is, and online might not be any cheaper when you add postage for something heavy.

811txolFzAL._SL1500_.jpg

Advertisement