Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance while towing a trailer?

Options
  • 16-11-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Does the standard Camper insurance cover you to tow a twin axle trailer or would it have to be specified when organizing cover? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

Nope. To tow a trailer these days you need to be licensed and the trailer needs to be made by a recognised manufacturer or an insurance company wont cover you.

My son went across to the UK recently to collect a car using a trailer that we built years ago and he was stopped by the cops on the A55. They wouldnt let him continue with that trailer as it was a home made one!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ontheballboy

Thanks w124man. I have a trailer licence and would be towing a 2 year old twin axle ifor Williams trailer. I'm just wondering would it need to be specified on the cover or does the standard camper insurance cover this already?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Thanks w124man. I have a trailer licence and would be towing a 2 year old twin axle ifor Williams trailer. I'm just wondering would it need to be specified on the cover or does the standard camper insurance cover this already?
    Cheers.

You would need to check you policy details or ring the insurance company.

You be sure you have category BE on your license first.

The rules on type approval only apply to trailers manufactured after a cert date. You need to google that one.

Uk police have to power to prevent any vehicle from completing a journey if that vehicle is in their opinion not roadworthy. What state was your homemade trailer in?

I'm sure that if the towing vehicle is legally allowed to tow then insurance is obliged to cover it. A 2 yr old ifor trailer will attrached no attention here or the uk, unless it is dangerously loaded.

The a55 is heavily policed road, I read the most policed in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

650Ginge wrote: »

Uk police have to power to prevent any vehicle from completing a journey if that vehicle is in their opinion not roadworthy. What state was your homemade trailer in?

I'm sure that if the towing vehicle is legally allowed to tow then insurance is obliged to cover it. A 2 yr old ifor trailer will attrached no attention here or the uk, unless it is dangerously loaded.

The trailer is in good condition and is always kept like that because the last thing you want is trouble with it when you are heading for the boat. The A55 is well known to be a hassle spot all right but something like an Ifor Williams trailer will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ontheballboy

650Ginge wrote: »
    You would need to check you policy details or ring the insurance company.

You be sure you have category BE on your license first.

The rules on type approval only apply to trailers manufactured after a cert date. You need to google that one.

I definitely have the BE licence. It took about 5 months from start to finish and cost about E500 all together to get it!! Its some hassle to get an extra letter on your licence. If they simplified the whole process they'd have a much higher compliance rate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement