Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myrtle Beach J1 2014

Options
  • 16-11-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey me and my three friends are looking at heading to Myrtle Beach this summer and are just wondering what its like for a J1? I know its early but just wondering whats the best way to get accomodation and how you'd go about finding people to possibly share a house/appartment with?

Also, if anyone know what the nightlife is like and whether they're strict on ID's cause we'll all only be 20 thatd be great :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ciaracork

Hey were booking this Friday a group (so far) of 5 guys and myself travelling to MB from cork for the smear. Have started looking at housing already, seems like its
    Reasonably priced and There's plenty of choices. Trying to figure out where's most conveniently located to live is what
    Were trying to figure
    Out at the moment. We would definetly be interested in house/apt sharing.... The more people the better the Craic and the cheaper it is all round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dee1993

Hey yeah at the moment its definetely three girls going, possibly four and we're planning on booking soon enough cause it'll be cheaper. We'd def be up for house sharing, we were actually gonna try find people that wanted to share. How old are all yous? My names Deirdre Coleman and my friends are Brid O'Connell and Heather Byrne if you wanna creep us on FB :P

We havent even really looked into houses or anything yet but we know someone who went last year so we were prob gonna ask them wheres best to stay and what not

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Moved to United States forum, the United States forum charter now applies, please read before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jobrien19

Heading to Myrtle Beach for a J1 this summer around the last week of may for anyone interested in sharing accommodation with a couple of girls and probably 2 lads (maybe more)? Let me know if anyones interested and up for good craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ClaireKllyJ1

Hey guys, a group of Irish girls thinking of going over to myrtle beach. If people are interested in sharing accommodation and tips to make things easier and cheaper, about 5 people are going, anybody up for sorting anything? all in our 20's :)

Hey a group of us travelling from Galway/Mayo/Cork bout 5 or 6 of us, and would be interested in accomodation sharing? Are ye booking with USIT or another company, we are all in our 20's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 l.marley

Hi, same story here, a group of 5 boy from Donegal/Sligo thinking of going to myrtle beach near the end of may wouldn't mind sharing to cut costs, if anyone has been b4 let us know where is best to go, cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CorkBoy22

Hey guys, lad from cork heading over to Myrtle Beach in June for the Summer 2014, anyone looking for people to share accommodation with id be delighted to chip in and have a bit of craic Cork Style for the summer!! Sound...My facebook is Tomas Barrett if you want to look me up or my email is [email]tomas.barrett@mycit.ie...Sound[/email] guys!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kill5455

**MOD NOTE** ILLEGAL ADVICE IS NOT PERMITTED ON BOARDS.IE. READ THE FORUM CHARTER FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Michelleby

4/5 girls from WIT heading mid-late May through USIT… cannot wait! I've a Facebook group running for anyone going to put up info about myrtle beach if you's want to join :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/183343761855088/

Six or Seven girls from UL heading over to myrle beach, anybody up for accomodation sharing? Get a few Irish together?:) You can
    Creep us on fb, or email :)12151955@studentmail.ul.ie ClaireKelly

https://www.facebook.com/clara.burke.39?ref=ts&fref=ts
    &

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LeoMc93

Well Lads. Same here heading to Myrtle Beach with my Girlfriend this summer. We'd really be on for sharing accommodation as I'm pretty sure we won't be able to afford a private penthouse lovepad. Hah. We're both from Louth near Drogheda. Please dont believe the news we're not all bad people ! I go ucd doing ag science and I'm 20 so if anyone wants to hit me up on Facebook it would be cool to have at least accommodation sorted before we arrive :) we're planning on heading out for the first of june!! Sound!! Names Leo McGrane by the way. Email leomcgrane93@gmail.com. cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jobrien19

Same story here really want to head to myrtle beach end of may. Can I ask the people who've already booked what company they went with and roughly how much as I'm trying to keep costs down :) Once I've booked definitely up for sorting accommodation with other Irish people who are in the same boat :) Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 katie92

Went to MB last year and absolutely loved it! Underage is no problem, the vast majority of places let you in if you're over 18 they just give u a band meaning you cant buy drink in there, and you might have to pay like 5 dollars extra to get in! I was only 20 for the whole thing, had no fake ID but never had a problem getting in! Accomodation wise, the vast majority stayed in Fountain Bleu or one of the appartment blocks around it, the place became known as Irish Square last summer! Don't panic about accom at all, most people get sorted over there! You'll walk into a job if you're a girl and theres loads going for lads too, like there was 600 Irish J1s working there this summer and the same amount of Russians so ye'll get work no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nomi123

Hey,
    4/5 girls also heading to Myrtle beach in early June. :)
    Up for sharing, as it seems a load of the places have pretty big capacities. And y'know, the craic. :P
    Giv'us a message on this if you're interested.

Yeah we booked with usit and it's costing €1100 to JFK. We have to book our own internal flights through spirit airlines to get to MB for 29th may.... Some dose! Small group of us heading over from cork and were definetly looking to houseshare!! Been looking at Catalina manor so waiting on a reply to see what the story is with prices and whatnot. If anyone wants to PM me about house sharing then do :) the more people sharing the better :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sam.324

How's a going, again Same story here, Me and the girlfriend are thinking of heading east coast, Myrtle Beach seems to be the place. Will probably book this week, maybe goforless or sayit, went to LA last summer with USIT. would be well up for sharing with whoevers up for it? We're both 20, shes in UCD studying Vet Nursing and I'm in DIT doing product design. https://www.facebook.com/sam.savage.9081?ref=tn_tnmn
    Will post on this again during the week when we've booked it.
    If anyone's up for sharing let us know,
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AndyPMoloney

Ciaracork wrote: »
    Yeah we booked with usit and it's costing €1100 to JFK. We have to book our own internal flights through spirit airlines to get to MB for 29th may.... Some dose! Small group of us heading over from cork and were definetly looking to houseshare!! Been looking at Catalina manor so waiting on a reply to see what the story is with prices and whatnot. If anyone wants to PM me about house sharing then do :) the more people sharing the better :))
    Hey CiaraCork, how much is the internal flight from JFK costing you? There are about 4/5 lads from UL going over there and we'll more than likely be looking for people to share with.
    You should join this page on facebook, a few people from Ireland that are going there are talking about accom and such.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/183343761855088/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TatianaP

was planning to go there, but heard its quite **** :/ so we changed our locations to California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 HunkyChunky

A decent sized group of us heading over from Dublin to MB from the 28th May onward. Just wondering if anyone has any information on renting a gaff as opposed to motels?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jessicahurney

heys guys :) theres 4 of us thinking of heading over to myrtle beach for the summer! booking our j1s next week.. were all in our 20's!! would anybody be up for sharing accom or know where to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 derrygrif123

well four/five lads from limerick going over in may . looking to share accommodation if anyone is interested ? message us on fb https://www.facebook.com/sam.mccarthy.10?fref=ts.. sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Awna14

Hey four girls heading over the 30th of May anyone interested in sharing or have recommendations? Plus anyone any tips on where to look for jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fisch

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Hey, three girls (2 UCC, 1 UL, all 20yrs) are heading over June 2nd till August 1st, looking to share a place with others. We're a tad bit on the wild side, love to party (sure isn't that what the Irish are known for?) and easy to live with! PM if interested (:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Awna14 wrote: »
    Hey four girls heading over the 30th of May anyone interested in sharing or have recommendations? Plus anyone any tips on where to look for jobs?

I was there in May last year (vacation, not working) and there are so many places to work that you should have no trouble finding a job.

Barefoot Landing is your typical tourist trap, with tons of places looking for summer help. You could probably score a nice air-conditioned indoor job here easily enough. http://www.bflanding.com/

If you want to be by the beach, there are tons of hotels and restaurants all along North and South Ocean Blvd.

There are also a lot of miniature golf places. Family Kingdom is probably the biggest amusement park in town, so if you like being outdoors, this is a good place to look - http://www.family-kingdom.com/AmusementPark/

Be aware that working outdoors will take some getting used to. It's going to be hot and humid, and you'll typically get a thunderstorm here and there. I prefer being outside to being stuck indoors all day. You'll find that a lot of places crank the air conditioning and you can find yourself freezing while it's 40C outside.

Hey everyone, myself (21 year old girl) another girl and 3 lads all from cork are heading on 28th may. We've been looking into houses already but would be very happy to house share with people to keep the costs down... On me or drop me an email if anyone's interested. Were looking to get a big enough gang together for the summer 😀ðŸ»ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

Internal flights working out at $180 return.... Were trying to figure out if the train and then the bus would be cheaper? Bus takes 9 hours and is only marginally cheaper than flying. Only thing about the flight though is that we can't figure out if our baggage is included in the costs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Ciaracork wrote: »
    Only thing about the flight though is that we can't figure out if our baggage is included in the costs....

More than likely it's not, and be very careful about which airline you chose. Some of them, such as Spirit, are following the Ryanair business model. Separate charges for printing boarding passes at the airport, charge for carry on, crazy charges for bags if not checked online in advance, etc.

Also, when considering the time involved, don't forget to add in the time you have to spend at the airport going thru security.

If you can take a bus instead, I'd say go for it.

Advertisement