Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DecemBeers - Friday 6th AND Friday 13th

Options
  • 16-11-2013 7:36pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The next Beers is this Friday 13th. I've PM'd everyone who chose this date in the poll; if you didn't get to vote, please post to let me know if you're coming along.

The venue is the Royal George pub in Soho - just off Charing Cross Road (Google Map). The nearest Tube station is Tottenham Court Road but Holborn, Covent Garden, Leicester Square or Picadilly Circus will all put you within a 5-10 minute walk.

I plan to be there for around 6, and will probably have a table booked to make sure we've got a bit of space. Give me a shout if you can't spot me on the way in - I'll try to wear something distinctive.

As ever, if this is your first beers, PM me so we can swap numbers and I'll keep you posted on any developments or changes to the plan on the night.

Original post is below:
    Right, it's Beers time. December is always awkward because everyone has Christmas parties and personal stuff on, but let's see what we can do.

I'm guessing somewhere central would be easiest, in which case I suggest either the Royal George or the Ship and Shovell as Old Reliable options. If we head to the Royal George we should head there earlyish/book tables; if we go for the Ship & Shovell we should get food elsewhere first (with a whole bunch of tasty options available nearby).

In saying that, from December 3-7 the Pig's Ear Brewery are holding a Beer and Cider Festival near Hackney Central so we could head to that and move elsewhere afterwards. Could be interesting - I don't think we've done a Beers round that way before.

So post with your preferences for venue and vote in the poll for availability and we'll see if this is feasible.

What dates can you make for Decembeers? 36 votes

Friday 6th
    0%
    Saturday 7th
    30%
    biZrbrainbow kirbyFyshBrokenArrowscaesarjonnyfingersJack B. Badd83steBrianderunnerboraboraNika Bolokov 11 votes
    Friday 13th
    19%
    ScarinaePlayboyBrokenArrowscaesar83steballsymchughReekwind 7 votes
    Saturday 14th
    30%
    FyshPlayboyJack B. Badd83steHow so Joefrag420pipelaserballsymchughpirateninjaTotalstationsiobhanosaur 11 votes
    Other - post in-thread
    19%
    ScarinaeFyshPlayboyfluke83steHow so JoeReekwind 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Saturday 14th
    6th is good for me so long as it's the festival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Sounds good. First come first served for our sofa: the event isn't far from me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Saturday 7th
    New to London, really looking forward to a beers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Other - post in-thread
    Knee-jerk reaction says the 14th is good for me. That being said any of the other dates work for me. The only thing I'd say about the Fridays is that people may be working late and find it hard to leave work and meet up without any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Other - post in-thread
    I'd prefer a Saturday, if possible. And, not to play to type, what of separate arrangements for food beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Other - post in-thread
    Any of those dates suit, really, but I'm unlikely to make pre-Beers food if it's a Friday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other - post in-thread
    December's always a busy month. I usually prefer Saturdays too, but past experience has dictated that people generally already have plans made well in advance - so a Friday is probably easier in.

Food will depend hugely on what day we go for, where we're going, and how close people are. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, myself - but let's see what the poll says at the end of the month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Saturday 14th
    Defo have to try and make it to one of these to meet you guys finally.

I would be game the weekend of the 13/14th. Hackney sounds good to me too........

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Saturday 7th
    6th or 7th please! Work party and flights home taking up other weekends.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other - post in-thread
    I'm leaning towards the 6th on the basis that:
    a) Beer festival (!)
    b) I can't do the 7th
    c) Some other plausible-sounding reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Other - post in-thread
    Fysh wrote: »
    a) Beer festival (!)
    b) I can't do the 7th

d) ?
    e) Profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Other - post in-thread
    a) Beer festival (!)
    b) I can't do the 7th

To be fair, Friday the 13th is level with the 6th.
    I vote for that on the basis of
    • oooh, spooky
    • aforementioned saturday difficulties
    • also I'm away the 6th. :(
    Incidentally, why no poll options for Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Saturday 14th
    can always form a continuity version for the 13th if there's numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Friday 13th
    I'm in Newcastle on the 13th and 14th. So hopefully its the weekend of the 6th.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Other - post in-thread
    My work Christmas party is on the 13th. Now there is a small chance I could make it along to a beers afterwards, but it's probably a bad idea

Other - post in-thread
    Sunday Beers? Continuity Beers? I've created some sort of festive monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Scarinae wrote: »
    My work Christmas party is on the 13th.

Having a work christmas party on Friday the 13th is a fantastic way to get the annoying people to not go.

Other - post in-thread
    Based on the almost entirely different breakdown of votes for the 6th and 13th, I'm thinking that some sort of DecemBeers Twofer might work out quite nicely. Which has the added benefit of:
    a) letting me go to the beer festival
    b) did I mention the beer festival? (yes, worth mentioning twice)
    c) allowing me to pretend I'm not abusing Modly Powahs for my own ends,
    d) some other reason why this is a good idea and not just a needless complication.

Anyone have any objections?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Saturday 7th
    I've opted for the 6th. Haven't quite made it to a Beers night out yet, but I'm working from home 99% of the time these days so need to get out and actually talk to real people!

Other - post in-thread
    Based on the almost entirely different breakdown of votes for the 6th and 13th, I'm thinking that some sort of DecemBeers Twofer might work out quite nicely. Which has the added benefit of:
    a) letting me go to the beer festival
    b) did I mention the beer festival? (yes, worth mentioning twice)
    c) allowing me to pretend I'm not abusing Modly Powahs for my own ends,
    d) some other reason why this is a good idea and not just a needless complication.

Anyone have any objections?

Not really.

I might go to both and dress up as two completely different people on the separate nights. Even if people recognise me and deny me my new identities I'll carry on in character and slap them with a glove exclaiming slander.

Actually forget it I'll only put off the newbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Think I'm free all those weekends!

Other - post in-thread
    fluke wrote: »
    Not really.

I might go to both and dress up as two completely different people on the separate nights. Even if people recognise me and deny me my new identities I'll carry on in character and slap them with a glove exclaiming slander.

Actually forget it I'll only put off the newbies.

Well, you've mentioned it so now you have to do it :D Yes, including the glove and slander bit (which sounds kind of weird when I put it like that...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Other - post in-thread
    Originally couldn't make the 6th but now I can so I'll pop along on that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Friday 13th
    6th or 7th works for me, have the work Christmas party the week after. Haven't been to one of these in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Saturday 14th
    caesar wrote: »
    6th or 7th works for me, have the work Christmas party the week after. Haven't been to one of these in a while.

Tell us again in case we didn't get it the first time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Friday 13th
    frag420 wrote: »
    Tell us again in case we didn't get it the first time!!

Ah, not sure what happened there. All sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I'll go on the 6th, and possibly the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

Think I'm free all those weekends!

Aww, :(

:P

30th November only one good for me which is

1) probably too soon
    2) In November

6th Away to Northampton
    14th A date in cookery school
    21st Heading back to Ireland for the holiday

Other - post in-thread
    Zippy1991 wrote: »
    Aww, :(

:P

30th November only one good for me which is

1) probably too soon
    2) In November

6th Away to Northampton
    14th A date in cookery school
    21st Heading back to Ireland for the holiday

What about the 13th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Other - post in-thread
    I agree, all the cool kids are going on the 13th!

Advertisement