Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best whistle

Options
  • 16-11-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all, this is my first post in this section so please be gentle on me. I am a late beginner in playing the tin whistle and am wondering which of the following would be the best buy? or has anybody any experience of either of them, 1. a cillian obriain 'modified' D or 2 a generation 'modified' in D ? I currently have a Dixon but I don't like it very much.
    Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Which Dixon do you have? There are few different types. I have the one with the long black top and chrome body. Quite a nice whistle.
    Cillian O'Briain modified is a lovely whistle. Mine got swiped at a session years ago and I still miss it.
    I currently use a John Sindt which is absolutely gorgeous to play but as far as I am aware, there is a very long waiting list for one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. Sindt is the perfect whistle. His waiting list is over two years now (I'm waiting nearly 3 for a Bb) and he's not taking new orders though, so that one is out OP. What do you like in a whistle? Two other fine options are Earle Bartlett's 'black diamond', which is his take on the generation style, and Ronaldo Reyburn who makes a stunning instrument. Bartlett is in the Blue Mountains in Australia, Reyburn is in the USA. Details and reviews for both are available over on www.chiffandfipple.com

That Cillian O'Brian? Lovely whistle too if you get the right one. Get to somewhere where you can try a few out. Most are really good, some are great, but the odd one is 'just a whistle'. Have you thought about just modifying one yourself? Here's a link to Jerry Freeman's method. Another fine 'tweaker'.
    http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

endacl wrote: »
    That Cillian O'Brian? Lovely whistle too if you get the right one. Get to somewhere where you can try a few out. Most are really good, some are great, but the odd one is 'just a whistle'. Have you thought about just modifying one yourself? Here's a link to Jerry Freeman's method. Another fine 'tweaker'.
    http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html

I really don't think much of Jerry Freeman's 'tweaked' whistles, I have two of them here I got when I started playing but they've been cast aside. Clearing out the windway of any excess plastic bits with a bit of very light sandpaper will usually do the trick. The bluetack 'tweak' and all the rest are just a load of rubbish that do nothing. I always get the impression that the Americans on the Chiff and fipple forum spend more time talking about things like modifying whistles and getting carried away with ornamentation than they do actually playing the damn things!

I got a chance to try a Cillian O'Brian in my regular shop and there was something seriously wrong with the high F# and G (raspy as hell), so I never went near them again, but as you say I might have just picked out a dodgy one.

I too am very curious as to what Dixon the op has that they don't like, most of my whistles are Dixons and I've never come across one I didn't like. I would recommend the 20 Euro 'Dixon Trad' for a safe bet.

I would LOVE a Sindt in D but as you all know the list has been closed and second hand ones are selling for around $300 on ebay. I'm sorry now I never ordered one years ago but there's no way in hell I'd pay that much for a second hand one. I got a chance to try a Burke ‎D Aluminum at a session recently and I have to say I really liked it and I'll probably order one. I just played a couple of jigs on it and didn't really closely test the sound of each note of the whistle, but it sounded great to me and it was nice and light which I like.

To the OP, keep in mind that there is no such thing as the 'best whistle' as there is no such thing as the best tune. Having an expensive whistle isn't going to make you sound like Mary Bergin over night, concentrate your efforts on just learning to play and have fun!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was just going to ask which Tony Dixon one you have.
    I have 3 of them,a polymer non tuneable flute which due to small hands is really hard to play,a non tunable polymer whistle which I love and is lovely and the tuneable aluminium polymer one which I am not a big fan of.
    I also have one of each key generation one and loads of Soodlums ones too.It is hard to fault the Generation.
    We also have a lovely brown plastic one but no idea of the make and no idea where is currently is but it is a bit different and nice to play too.
    My favourites are the normal Generation one or the Polymer Tony Dixon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

An alternative to the Generation would be an Oak Whistle.

I have a Dixon in C and it's a fine whistle.

I have a brass Burke whistle and I love it but they are expensive - http://www.burkewhistles.com

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

Thanks for all the replies folks. The Tony Dixon I have is the very basic brass with a long black plastic top (sorry I don't have any more specific details or anything) The thing is I just don't like it and I just wanted to try another inexpensive whistle, as something like the Syndt (if they could still be got without paying silly money for them) or the Burke would be completely wasted on me.

naulpolan wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies folks. The Tony Dixon I have is the very basic brass with a long black plastic top (sorry I don't have any more specific details or anything) The thing is I just don't like it and I just wanted to try another inexpensive whistle, as something like the Syndt (if they could still be got without paying silly money for them) or the Burke would be completely wasted on me.

Unless you go up to €70/80, you're probably not going to get something remarkably better than what you have (and what you have is a nice whistle). When you think of it though, 150 will get you an instrument that's up there with the best in the world. Imagine what that figure would be if you were talking fiddle or flute!

Go on. Treat yourself. If you're in Dublin, you're welcome to try a few of mine if you want to see what the different makers are producing.*

*bet you pick the black diamond!

Maybe I might since I have spent well in excess of €1k on instruments for my children this year,alternatively I might just take up the spoons!

Maybe I might since I have spent well in excess of €1k on instruments for my children this year,alternatively I might just take up the spoons!

If you take up a pair of spoons, you'd better have two bowls of soup at the ready or be prepared to GERRROOOUUTTTOFFFITTTT!!!!

Spoon players? Clickity clackity feckwits...

• Advertisement

AAAAh now take it easy I just want to be part of the session!!!

AAAAh now take it easy I just want to be part of the session!!!

Buy a round!

:D

No problem with that! only thing is if I don't play I'll be expected to get them all in:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

trad wrote: »

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for people coming along and bringing what they bring. If you can struggle your way through half a tune, I'll happily struggle along with ya. You're more than welcome. If you think rattling cutlery qualifies as joining in though....

... I'd sooner play all night with that drunk tulip on the far side of the room. You know the one. Tapping his euro coin off an empty pint glass? Left his sense of rhythm in the jacks?

:D

Aaah so you've seen me around with my trusty euro:D. Fair play though a lot of traditional musicians don't take kindly to beginners joining in with them. I recently went into a local pub to where a session was in full swing there was a banjo a fiddle and an accordion, the guys were all in their 60's and I asked if my children might play a few tunes with them they told me they would be allowed play for a few minutes while they took a break!The kids played a couple of sets and the old boys were a bit taken back and they even let them play again (towards the end of the night when they were getting ready to go home) Is this any way to treat children who love and just want to play music? I think the young people need all the encouragement adults can give them to keep the music alive! In a local GAA club we have a seisiun once a month for the children from 6 to 8 on Sundays and it has a great turn out but also a few well known local musicians show up and play a few with them and it is great for them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Aaah so you've seen me around with my trusty euro:D. Fair play though a lot of traditional musicians don't take kindly to beginners joining in with them.

I wouldn't really call that a session then, more of a performance or a gig. Our session is open to anyone, though clickity clackers are frowned upon when they drown out the melody. We often get tourists who are welcome to sing a song or join in if they can play. Children too if it's not a school night.
    In a local GAA club we have a seisiun once a month for the children from 6 to 8 on Sundays and it has a great turn out but also a few well known local musicians show up and play a few with them and it is great for them!

How many kids would you get at that? Did some teachers start it for complete beginners or how was it all set up? Might be into trying something like that here...

Go on. Treat yourself. If you're in Dublin, you're welcome to try a few of mine if you want to see what the different makers are producing.*

*bet you pick the black diamond!

Our session is on tonight in North Co.Dublin, if you want to pop over send me a PM... and bring your Black Diamond!

We normally have around 20-30 kids from 5 years to adult, of all musical ability - even clackers (in the corner). It was started by a few enthusiastic parents at first, then a few music teachers told the kids about it and it is building all the time.

Blade wrote: »
    Our session is on tonight in North Co.Dublin, if you want to pop over send me a PM... and bring your Black Diamond!

Love to come over sometime. I have to warn you in advance, I normally come armed with a guitar. Whistle-wise, I'd be best described as 'enthusiastic'...

;)

• Advertisement

I have to warn you in advance, I normally come armed with a guitar.

Jaysus!!!.............Oh well at least it's not a Bodhran! Only joking, you're welcome any time. Just give me a shout.

Blade wrote: »
    Jaysus!!!.............Oh well at least it's not a Bodhran!

Guitar = Bodhran with strings :D

Advertisement