Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone own 4 dogs?

• 17-11-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I currently have 2, boyfriend and girlfriend. He has now been neutered so she has had her last litter of puppies. She had 3. My friend is taking 1 and I'm seriously considering keeping the other two as I don't intend to breed my dog again, will probably get her done too.

We have plenty of time and space and they are small dogs but just wondering has anyone else experience of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

There will be others on I'm sure, with better explanations of why, but I definitely would not keep 2 of the pups. Perhaps 1, depending on your willingness to go through all the training and destruction, and all the other fun of a young pup, all over again. That's all fine, and gives you a good chance to get to know and bond with the young dog you've decided to add to the family.

The problem with keeping 2 from the same litter, or any 2 young puppies both at once for that matter, has nothing to do with having 4 dogs per se. That can work brilliantly if well planned. But simply having 2 pups join the family at once presents a huge challenge of even physically spending enough one-on-one time with each dog to get them to bond with and look to you, rather than simply depending on one another for general reward and entertainment.

I've seen it a a time or 2 myself, and other, more experienced posters on here a lot more, that these pups simply bond most strongly with one another, and it becomes awfully difficult to get either of their attention yourself.

I've very rarely seen a case where somebody naively got 2 pups at once, and didn't rehome at least one of them weeks, months or even years down the line. Imagine the stress that's been gone through before coming to that decision after 4 or 5 years! I've seen it firsthand, and the owner in question was not someone anyone would call generally naive, careless, or even unknowledgeable about animals.

So just my own word to the wise: yes, by all means keep 1 of the pups, if you feel you have a place for another. Train it, neuter it, and treasure it as you do your other 2.

But if you really do want to have 4 dogs, wait until the new pup is at least a year and a half old, and then start looking in rescues and pounds for your 4th dog, or find a reasonably ethical breeder if it's a specific sort of pup you want. There are always plenty of dogs looking for homes, and there are plenty of avenues you can use to find a good home for the other pup. But please do spare yourself the stress and potential heartache of keeping 2 littermates! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smuggler

Feretone, thank you for your response. It makes a lot of sense. I've been having doubts about how I'd manage two pups to be honest. I suppose I wouldn't have posted otherwise.

I just hate advertising them and then having to hand one over to a stranger. they are very cute dogs and my fear is that someone would just get her for breeding as I just want her to go somewhere to be pampered.

What I might do is spread the word with family friends colleagues and neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Smuggler wrote: »

I just hate advertising them and then having to hand one over to a stranger. they are very cute dogs and my fear is that someone would just get her for breeding as I just want her to go somewhere to be pampered.

What I might do is spread the word with family friends colleagues and neighbours.

Isn't that something that should have been done before you bred the dog? I would suggest home checks and lots of questions and a contract that states you will take the dog back if there are any problems within its lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smuggler

Will do, I'm sure it'll all work out, just me fretting:o

Advertisement