Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to buy a rifle

Options
  • 17-11-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Well lads,I'm in two minds at the moment about being a rifle and then what type.I'm unsure about how you go about applying for licence and are they easy to get licence for?secondly I'm not sure about the rifle Im looking at two ones a cheap .22 the others a mossberg but it looks kinda like a SMG.
    Can they be licenesed in this country I assume so because its in a RFD.all help welcome I've two shotguns and don't know a lot about rifles.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

johnogog88 wrote: »
    Well lads,I'm in two minds at the moment about being a rifle and then what type.I'm unsure about how you go about applying for licence and are they easy to get licence for?secondly I'm not sure about the rifle Im looking at two ones a cheap .22 the others a mossberg but it looks kinda like a SMG.
    Can they be licenesed in this country I assume so because its in a RFD.all help welcome I've two shotguns and don't know a lot about rifles.thanks

Buy a 1.7 hmr and you will then have a rifle you won't look to change ! Pin point accuracy out to 150 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

17 is suppose to be a great rifle alright.

But I don't think I'd ever be with out a .22. Cheap to feed cheap to buy no problem with them if you want to enter comps or go to the range for a bit of fun.

As far as your licenses its prity much the same process as you used for your shotguns. They are easy enough to get once you meet the requirements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm unsure about how you go about applying for licence and are they easy to get licence for?
    The process is the exact same regardless of firearm. Only difference is restricted licenses are with Chief Super, and Unrestricted with the Super. You will most likely be looking for an Unrestricted so it's the same process you done for your shotgun.
    secondly I'm not sure about the rifle Im looking at two ones a cheap .22 the others a mossberg but it looks kinda like a SMG.
    Does it look like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRymLTKogNIg0Ne-7h0aGUOYrni41oSOWMK2Ga4aiVFGF-jVsYQBg

or this:

10093637.jpg?is=500,500

The top one could bee classed as restricted or simply "idon'tlikethelookofthat", and go to the chief Super.

The bottom one is unrestricted, and goes to the Super.
    Can they be licenesed in this country I assume so because its in a RFD.
    You can license pretty much any gun as long as you can show good reason for wanting it. Membership of a range, hunting, etc. You also need a gun safe for a rifle. Unlike a shotgun were you might be allowed to store separately with a trigger lock a gun safe is mandatory for a rifle.

As for options. A semi auto .22lr is great fun, but not as accurate as a bolt action. A .22lr is a short range rifle. Max distance is approx 100 yards and only on small game. A good option would be the CZ range:

Either the 452:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNELweqWVmL1j6YO0gl9Pn_zK0odSIG4pLMgIwGeeBG0QHLuAanQ

Or the 455 thumbhole:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREl_hmhQIhlSpirE4kg01rYuDYqqaCUbr8kvcS90-dwrhMcsTQ

As was mentuoned the .17hmr is a great round. So much so i changed from a .22lr to a .17hmr. Normally i'd always have a .22lr but as i moved away from target shooting having a .22lr seemed redundant. The .17 has a much better range, and more killing power. Easily out to 120-140 yards on larger game, and out to over 220 yards on smaller game. The ammo is a little more expensive, but still not on the dear side.

Other caliber options would be the .22wmr. Anything bigger and you are into centrefire. Not an issue in terms of licenses, just a matter of more costly firearms, and ammo. Plus you really need to have experience with backstops, and rifle shooting to own and use one as the range, and effective killing distance is much greater. For example a .223 can easily knock game past 600 yards.

Average prices are:

Caliber
    |
    New price
    |
    Second Hand price
    |
    .22lr
    |
    €425 - €600
    |
    €250 - €550
    |
    .17hmr
    |
    €550 - €670
    |
    €350 - €750
    |
    |
    €550 - €1,200
    |
    €550 - €1,100
    |

The second hand price can vary depending on make, model, and whether it comes with a scope/accessories, etc. So the lower prices are just the firearm, and the higher prices include scope, rings, mod, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

Cheers for the help lads some good answers.I was looking at a Walter g22 to be straight I've a feeling its restricted Ive good lot of land their and to be honest just won't it for target shooting on land.what are the chances of getting a licence for such a gun??thanks

I was looking at a Walter g22 to be straight I've a feeling its restricted/quote]
    As a semi auto, 10 round rimfire it's an unrestricted firearm. However the Super/Chief Super might take issue with its appearance in that it resembles an "assault rifle".
    Ive good lot of land their and to be honest just won't it for target shooting on land.
    You won't get it for target shooting on your own land as target shooting outside an authorised range is illegal. You will need to join a range or change your reason for wanting it.
    what are the chances of getting a licence for such a gun??thanks
    Apply and find out. No one can answer that for you unfortunately.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help Cass.I'll do that one worry I have is applying and putting a deposit on the gun then being denied.do I apply direct to the c.o instead of the chief super?how long before I'd know would you say?thanks again.

........ one worry I have is applying and putting a deposit on the gun then being denied.
    Place a small deposit (5-10%) with an agreement that it is refunded upon refusal. If the RFD will not accept a small deposit or agree to a refund then walk away.
    do I apply direct to the c.o instead of the chief super?
    C.O.?

The gun is legally an unrestricted firearm so you apply on the FCA1 as an unrestricted license. The FO will forward it onto the Super as it'sd not your job or responsibility to do so.
    how long before I'd know would you say?thanks again.
    They have 3 months to make a decision. So anytime from 3 weeks to 3 months.

Oh sorry thought the g22 would be restricted.I'll apply straight away so.thanks agen for the help Cass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

G22 is a bullpup rifle so it'll be classed as restricted.

Sh*t.

Never even copped that. Blay is correct. With the mag location it is a bullpup design and as such restricted.

You can still apply for it just you need to apply for a restricted license to the Chief Super and explain why another semi auto will not do the same job.

• Advertisement

Have you considered a 10/22 ?

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Have you considered a 10/22 ?

I have indeed ruger is suppose to be great gun.I've also seen people completely change the gun I considered that only thing is would it then not be classed as restricted???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

For my two cents, stay away from the G22 and that's nothing to do with licenseing issues.

A lad I know had one and I shot it on the range. Now I love guns and quirky things but the novelty very quickly wore out. Heap of sh1te IMO, miss fire, jams, double feeds etc etc. Not very ergonomic for shooting and difficult to strip and clean.

The lad sold it on in the end for the ultimate Barbie gun, a Ruger 10/22.

Now considereding a ruger 10/22 tact stock 10 round mag.restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

For my two cents, stay away from the G22 and that's nothing to do with licenseing issues.

A lad I know had one and I shot it on the range. Now I love guns and quirky things but the novelty very quickly wore out. Heap of sh1te IMO, miss fire, jams, double feeds etc etc. Not very ergonomic for shooting and difficult to strip and clean.

The lad sold it on in the end for the ultimate Barbie gun, a Ruger 10/22.

I can second the G22 being a piece of crap. It may as well have been a bolt action. Jam -O- Matic waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Remember seeing the G22 in a magazine when it came out originally and thinking it was awesome. Probably still have the page I tore out in a box somewhere:pac:

Now considereding a ruger 10/22 tact stock 10 round mag.restricted?

I think ten round mag put u in that category , don't quote me on that !

Well your allowed 10 round mags for a cz. So don't see why not for a ruger.

But I do remember being in a range one day and the RO said eeven doe you have a 10 round mag. So range rules and guidelines and so on states that you should ever be only loaded with 5.

TriggerPL wrote: »
    I think ten round mag put u in that category , don't quote me on that !
    10 rounds or less is fine in a semi auto rimfire. IOW it's an unrestricted firearm (allowing for nothing else that would make the rifle restricted)
    So range rules and guidelines and so on states that you should ever be only loaded with 5.
    Why?

The range rules do not supercede Law, and once your license covers you then you are legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    10 rounds or less is fine in a semi auto rimfire. IOW it's an unrestricted firearm (allowing for nothing else that would make the rifle restricted)

Why?

The range rules do not supercede Law, and once your license covers you then you are legal.

Yes, it's legal to load 10 into your magazine but maybe the Range Officer was running a course of fire that involved strings of 5 shots.

It's often done with novices or on training courses. It simplifies things as not all guns have 10 round mags. Some shooters on the line might have 5 shot magazines so the Range Officer might instruct everybody to load 5 rounds, regardless of capacity. It makes things easier to control.

• Advertisement

It's possible there was a reason for it, however i was answering this part of the post above:
    So range rules and guidelines and so on states that you should ever be only loaded with 5.
    .......... specifically as it's not a law, but a rule relating to a specific range or a rule for the day in question. IT is NOT a law.

Well to be fair I never said it was law. But he did say it was some regulation of some sort.

To be honest I don't know I don't use ranges that often.

But as regards the day it was just a normal Saturday shooting lads coming and going do what the do no coarse on or that.

Anybody know if changing the stock to a tapco would make it restricted?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Anybody know if changing the stock to a tapco would make it restricted?thanks

That's something that only your Super can tell you because it's totally up to him to decide what "resembles" an assault rifle.

Some Supers might be fine with the Tapco stock, and others might not be so fine with it.

It's crap that the law was written to be so subjective.

Well to be fair I never said it was law. But he did say it was some regulation of some sort..
    I understand that. My point was to clarify it is not law, but a range rule.
    johnogog88 wrote:
    Anybody know if changing the stock to a tapco would make it restricted?
    Not being a smart arse, but are you interested in a "tactical" looking rifle or one that shoots?

I ask because the Ruger 10/22 would seem to fit all your needs in terms of semi auto, rimfire, etc. However you seem determined to go for something that looks more tactical. It's not a fault or a criticism.

Restricted does not mean cannot bee gotten. It means a more rigorous application. If you are not interested in a restricted license or want to avoid it then go for a firearm that meets the unrestricted criteria more easily than one that does not.

The main point i'm trying to raise is to go for a gun that functions. As said above about the G22. It might look cool, and be great fun but if it's useless or the novelty wears off quickly you are left with a "toy" that no else wants.

Cass wrote: »
    I understand that. My point was to clarify it is not law, but a range rule.

Not being a smart arse, but are you interested in a "tactical" looking rifle or one that shootmi auto, rimfire, etc.

I see your point Cass to be honest I'm a sucker for a nice looking gun.haha.I'm completely put off the g22 as I want a gun that will stand the test of time.I've always liked putting my stamp on a gun.I like the tapco stock some see at as restricted others don't I'll have to have a bit of a think about it.thanks again Cass.

...........I like the tapco stock some see at as restricted others don't I'll have to have a bit of a think about it........
    The thing is no one here, not even myself, can tell you whether it is restricted or not.

As per another thread on running on the forum the decision is down to the Super. There is an old line we use about the "idon'tlikethelookofthat" rule. It means the Super can refuse or deem a license to be restricted based on the "assault rifle" appearance of a rifle. If the Tapco stock falls into this category, only the Super can decide.

Now some lads will tell you to go ahead, and some will say they bought the standard model, and then upgraded. This is fine for them. The thing is if you have a rifle/gun that comes under the unrestricted category, then upgrade it to a point where a Super would deem it restricted (then needing the Chief Super's blessing) you are in a somewhat "grey" area. Your license would stand as legal authorisation to have the gun, the Super has not seen/declared it to be restricted, and the renewal (when it comes around) would be based on the model you originally licensed.

As is discussed in the other thread i mentioned it's a sticky, and somewhat laughable position to be in, but it's what we have.

As is discussed in the other thread i mentioned it's a sticky, and somewhat laughable position to be in, but it's what we have.[/quote]

Yeh have seen threads on here saying that very thing to be straight Cass I'm not one that wants to be in that grey area.I'd sooner declare it so my minds at ease I'll have a chat with the super tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Advertisement