Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish tourist in Dublin

Options
  • 17-11-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

I will be spending a few days in Dublin (Friday to Sunday) soon and am looking for suggestions on things to see and do.
    Have been many times as a daytripper but would like to see and visit something other that O `Connell St and Grafton St and the Illac Centre.
    Thanks, in advance, for all suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kilmainham jail, the museums, dublinia and Christ church or powerscourt house and gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I second Kilmainham Jail.
    The National Museum is well worth a visit. Also the Phoenix Park is still lovely at the moment.

The Zoo has a special offer until the 29th of November. Tickets are only 5 Euro if you book online and use the code Facebook.

Also the Hop on Hop off Tours are good, the are good value and covers pretty much all the main attractions.

If you venture out a bit further take the Dart to Howth for the Cliff Walk on good weather or a stroll on Dun Laoighare, or the Walk from Greystones to Bray is nice on a lovely day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

walk out the pier in to the middle of dublin bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

i'd recommend Pat Liddy's walking tours too, if you take the Dublin Bus Tour you have the ticket to Pat Liddy's for free (:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What are you in to ArtyM? What floats your boat and what type of food do you like. The more info you give the more people can point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ArtyM wrote: »
    I will be spending a few days in Dublin (Friday to Sunday) soon and am looking for suggestions on things to see and do.
    Have been many times as a daytripper but would like to see and visit something other that O `Connell St and Grafton St and the Illac Centre.
    Thanks, in advance, for all suggestions.

Everytime I'm in our Capital I feel like a lost tourist, taking pix and all! OMG The Samuel Beckett Bridge ... etc :) Always getting asked for drirections and advice also when I'm up, so I guess I don't look like what I feel.

Dublin City is Lovely! Comfy shoes and a Camera & A Great sense of Adventure.

Off the top of my head now:
    ~ I've done the hop-on tours which are great for giving you an overall sense of the surrounds, & also enable you get sense of where you'd like to hop off and spend more time (differing tastes/interests)

~ The trip down to Powerscourt was lovely, but very long. Waited the best part of an hour before bus cam back to collect, but it was lovely

~ Explore the City on foot. So much to see and explore, pending confidence and daylight. I seriously enjoy wandering around Dublin. The lastime I was up there my brother brought me further afield, some wonderful off the beaten track places to explore

~ Oh! Their is a Garden?! Check out the 'Art Tunnel' if you've time, amazing creation!

~ The Museums aplenty in the City, some free-of-charge too. My favourites would be: Kilmainham Gaol; Wax Museum; National Gallery of Ireland; Modern Art Museum and the Irish Writers Museum. (I wanted to go into the Leprechaun Museum, but was told I'd be on my own for the evening if I did :o , so cannot comment on that one)

~ Take the Luas out to Tallaght. Been years until few months ago that I was out there & I enjoyed that shopping trip

~ I found this restaurant called 'Wuff' when last up there, quirky kinda place but scrumptious food!

Ah Explore! We have one Lovely Capital City that just needs you to bring your sense of adventure, comfy shoes & camera. Dublin City is not all about shopping, more so exploring imo. So much to learn about our lickle island, in your hands, in our Capital.

Hope you have fun,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Many Thanks folks for your replies.
    Some great suggestions that I would not have thought of.
    ArtyM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Metro Café on South William Street is a fantastic little spot for breakfast/lunch or a coffee! Or even a nice glass of wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Metro Café on South William Street is a fantastic little spot for breakfast/lunch or a coffee! Or even a nice glass of wine!

+ 1 Great place, attentive staff, good prices and cracking food. Evoca on Suffolk st. do an amazing breakfast too, but you might want to get on portion for two and a side order. (big portions). If you're keen on a certain ethnic or Irish tradional dish stick it up here! There's a clatter of very good restaurants around the city that cater for all tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

John_Rambo wrote: »
    + 1 Great place, attentive staff, good prices and cracking food. Evoca on Suffolk st. do an amazing breakfast too, but you might want to get on portion for two and a side order. (big portions). If you're keen on a certain ethnic or Irish tradional dish stick it up here! There's a clatter of very good restaurants around the city that cater for all tastes.

So much so that I'm in the place about 3/4 times a week! Can't beat it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The zoo was very dingy in the past but is fabulous now.

The Chester Beatty is a great small museum, really unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Definitely Kilmainham, followed by a tour of Glasnevin Cemetery. The Jeanie Johnston is also very interesting. I've been to the Leprechaun Museum a few times... go in with an open mind and you'll really enjoy it! The emphasis is very much on story-telling and Irish myths and legends. Maybe see if the NCH has any lunchtime concerts on while you're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

does anybody know the place that the ESB owns, its a house thats only open certain times and people are all dressed up in victorian garb and give guided tours around the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

The Georgian house on Merrion Square - lovely wee musuem

http://www.esb.ie/main/about-esb/numbertwentynine/default.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

The Dublinia exhibition is appalling IMO...i was there with a large tour before and most of the people were sniggering at the exhibits,the guide didnt know very much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

does anybody know the place that the ESB owns, its a house thats only open certain times and people are all dressed up in victorian garb and give guided tours around the house?

Months back the Georgian House Museum closed down temporarily due to ESB financial issues but did re-open recently. However now I understand it is a self guided tour. I went with a knowledgeable guide a couple of years ago and they really made the experience more authentic.

Advertisement