Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timex ironman easy vs garmin forerunner 10

Options
  • 17-11-2013 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting one of these but can't decide between them. I have seen one bad review about the timex in that once you start it I.e. At the start of race, and if you don't go for few minutes it shuts off and needs to look for a signal again, not ideal. On the other hand, it has distance, time and ave pace on screen whereas with the garmin you have to flick to get ave pace. The timex battery seems much better with gps on too, 8hrs v 5hrs. Both are on sale on wiggle for €111 at the moment, anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Don't know about timex but...have forerunner 10 myself. It's grand. There are two screens you can set up as you like (each displaying 2 metrics)...Although I don't think Average Pace is one of the available fields.

Battery isn't really an issue unless you are training for an ultra or something? Have used my F10 for hikes up to about 6 hours too before the battery runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have the Timex Run Trainer v1.0.
    Had a couple of issues with it failing to connect to satellites, but this has only happened twice.
    Simply had to drain battery completely and reset the watch and it fixed the issue.
    Bit of a pain, but as its self fixable, am ok with it, and have had no other problems with the watch.

Re the Timex Ironman Easy, not sure if that's a European branding on the Timex Marathon watch, which is simply a re-badged generic watch.

I don't think that either of the watches you've listed can be uploaded, so that's worth noting if it's something you want or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Had a couple of issues with it failing to connect to satellites, but this has only happened twice.
    Simply had to drain battery completely and reset the watch and it fixed the issue.
    Bit of a pain, but as its self fixable, am ok with it, and have had no other problems with the watch.

Re the Timex Ironman Easy, not sure if that's a European branding on the Timex Marathon watch, which is simply a re-badged generic watch.

I don't think that either of the watches you've listed can be uploaded, so that's worth noting if it's something you want or not.

Not sure what you mean by "uploaded" but, Forerunner tracks can be uploaded to Garmin Connect via USB cradle supplied with watch...

crisco10 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by "uploaded" but, Forerunner tracks can be uploaded to Garmin Connect via USB cradle supplied with watch...

My bad, for some reason I was under the impression that the FR10 couldn't upload your runs.
    Think I must have been mixing that up with lack of HR compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Thanks all. Spurs, where you doing anything at the time that may have caused this? Last thing I want is to be at a start line and this happens out of the blue. Or am I being naive, would this happen on other watches?

• Advertisement

webpal wrote: »
    Thanks all. Spurs, where you doing anything at the time that may have caused this? Last thing I want is to be at a start line and this happens out of the blue. Or am I being naive, would this happen on other watches?

Nothing specific, just about to head out for a training run and it decided to do nothing when I turned on the GPS.
    Hasn't happened in about 9 months I'd say now, so whatever glitch it was seems to have corrected itself. Can't remember if I've updated the firmware or not since it happened, probably did I'd say.

Initial response from Timex was to send it back for repair, though it would have been pricey shipping, out of warranty & bought in the US.
    By the time I was deciding what to do, had drained battery fully & this corrected the problem.

Only thing I do now is only charge it half way so it doesn't take as long to drain power (1 week from full charge with stopwatch on) - though typically, it hasn't happened since the initial 2 times, touchwood.

Had the watch since Feb 2012 and bar those two glitches, nothing bad to say about it.
    Though saying all that, it is a totally different watch to the one you're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

havent had either watch but had a timex ironman recently and using a gamin now. i actually really liked the timex and thought it was really easy to use. i've totally forgotten why i switched to the Garmin. i think it was the swim function on the Garmin i got. But it was not becasue of some negative aspect of the timex

Advertisement