Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary teaching presentations?

Options
  • 17-11-2013 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I love the idea of being a primary school teacher. I teach kids swimming already and I love it.
    I am worried about all the college presentations and having someone sit and watch me while I am on placement.
    I hate making presentations, I feel people are just waiting for me to mess up.
    I feel I would be a great teacher, standing in front of children and explaining everyday doesn't bother me at all. Standing in front of adults as they grade is another matter.
    How big of a deal are presentations etc any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Hey Alice,

I studied in Mary I a few years ago and am headed back next September to finish what I started - the B.Ed.

I was the exact same as you and I quickly found that everyone else was in the same boat.

When it comes to presenting, you'll never really present to large groups on your own, it's normally as part of a group. You may have to present to smaller groups (tutorials) but that's actually grand as you'll be used to seeing each other in class.

When it comes to teaching practice, your supervisor is there to assist you and grade you. They want to help you pass and will help you out, giving you constructive criticim and suggestions for improvement. They'll also tell you what you did well.

Overall, I would say this. Don't let it stop you. If it's something you truly want to do and will be happy doing... suck it up. For the sake of having to make a handful of presentations and be supervised a few times over a 4 year period, it'll be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AliceRyan

Thank you so much! It's great to know that others are the same as me and have managed it, it is very reassuring.

Also, if you would be able to give me a brief outline of what you study in first year that would be great.
    Intouch9 wrote: »
    Hey Alice,

I studied in Mary I a few years ago and am headed back next September to finish what I started - the B.Ed.

I was the exact same as you and I quickly found that everyone else was in the same boat.

When it comes to presenting, you'll never really present to large groups on your own, it's normally as part of a group. You may have to present to smaller groups (tutorials) but that's actually grand as you'll be used to seeing each other in class.

When it comes to teaching practice, your supervisor is there to assist you and grade you. They want to help you pass and will help you out, giving you constructive criticim and suggestions for improvement. They'll also tell you what you did well.

Overall, I would say this. Don't let it stop you. If it's something you truly want to do and will be happy doing... suck it up. For the sake of having to make a handful of presentations and be supervised a few times over a 4 year period, it'll be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

If you go here: http://www.mic.ul.ie/adminservices/studentservices/Pages/Noticeboard.aspx and have a look at the BEd1 course handbook, it will give you a really in-depth idea of what you'll have to do in each module and where the group work comes up. I have to say, since I was there, the level of support given to students has increased tenfold with the redesigned course. The college wants to have the best teachers so they put a lot into making sure that you can do they job and that you know your stuff.

I promise, once you have 2 or 3 presentations out of the way, you'll never look back. Teaching practice is daunting when it comes to supervision but it's also an amazing experience. One of the kids that I taught during teaching practice had his mother contact me to give him grinds when he was in sixth class and I helped him for the year. I got a card from him when he did his junior cert, saying that I was still one of the best teachers he's had - it's an amazing feeling to know that you can make such a difference so my advice is to just go for it!

Advertisement