Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 years ago today - that night in Windsor Park...

• 17-11-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

It was on this day twenty years ago that one of the most notorious games in Irish football history took place at Belfast's Windsor Park.

Jack Charlton's Republic of Ireland side, chasing a spot at the World Cup in America the following year, headed to Windsor Park to take on a Northern Ireland side out of the running, but intent on spoiling the party. The game took place when the Troubles were still ongoing, and the hostility that greeted the Ireland side was to shock Charlton and the players. A win would guarantee qualification, whereas a draw might prove enough depending on what happened between Denmark and Spain.

Some of you might remember that The Guardian's Rob Smyth produced an excellent piece on this game about a year ago, describing the background context, the events and the aftermath. Here is that piece for anyone who missed it at the time:
    Traversing the ring of ire

We've no idea where to start in Group Three, which was the epicentre of this epic night. Spain were to host Denmark in Seville, with Northern Ireland (long since out of the running) at home to the Republic in Belfast. The three sides could barely be split: Denmark were top with 18 points (goal difference +14, goals scored 15), a point ahead of Spain (17 points, goal difference +22, goals scored 26) and the Republic (17 points, goal difference +13, goals scored 18). A draw was enough for Denmark, while Spain and the Republic knew they had to win to ensure qualification but that they might get through with a draw (in Spain's case, a draw was enough if the Republic failed to win; in the Republic's case, a draw was enough if Spain and Denmark did not draw. The Republic were out if they lost; Spain were out if they lost unless the Republic also lost. Confused? Splendid.)

The intensity of the Ireland match was exacerbated by the political climate of the time. The Troubles were at their height, and a month earlier 23 people had died in a series of shootings and bombings. There was much talk of moving the game away from Belfast to Old Trafford, Wembley or even Italy. Eventually the game went ahead as planned, but the Republic, to Jack Charlton's not inconsiderable chagrin, had to fly rather than drive for security reasons.

The mood wasn't improved the day before the match when Billy Bingham – who was to retire after 17 years as Northern Ireland manager – laid into the Republic's "mercenaries". "They couldn't find a way of making it with England or Scotland," he said of players like Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton and John Aldridge. "I take a totally cynical view of the whole business. I am not prepared to skirt the issue, the same as I am happy to state it is our intention to stuff the Republic." Ireland were given a taste of what was to come when they arrived for their last training session to be greeted by a group of 10- and 11-year-olds with erect middle fingers. When they arrived for the game, they found a ring of barbed wire and armed police.

If there was a ring of steel outside the ground, then there was a ring of ire inside it. This was a maelstrom of hate, the sort of night on which even the gangsters look over their shoulder. Officially at least, the Republic had no supporters in the ground. "I have never seen a more hostile atmosphere," said Jack Charlton, "not even in Turkey." Terry Phelan and Paul McGrath received monkey chants; Alan Kernaghan, who played for Northern Ireland at schoolboy level, was noisily called a "****ing Lundy". And then there were the dogs, hundreds of them, or so it seemed, barking like they knew the apocalypse was coming. "The safest place to be," said McLoughlin, "was on the pitch."

There was another advantage to being on the pitch: you could control your side's destiny. Spain's legendary keeper Andoni Zubizaretta lost that privilege when he was sent off in the 10th minute against Denmark. Zubizaretta passed the ball feebly to his Barcelona team-mate Michael Laudrup and then took him out on the edge of the box. The substitute keeper was Cañizares, a 23-year-old who was making his international debut in a situation that was too much for a man making his 83rd appearance. Yet as he walked on to the pitch, Cañizares went into a zone that he arguably did not enter for the rest of his career.

With Denmark only needing a draw, they seemed to have nine toes in America. There was, however, one big catch: their opponents were Spain, the bogey side who had put the great Danish Dynamite side out of Euro 84 and Mexico 86, while also beating them at Euro 88. Against any other team Denmark would probably have regarded the red card as an almighty bonus. With it being Spain, however, they starting looking for booby traps, their subconscious probably wondering whether Zubizaretta's red card was all part of a warped hextension. Add in the fact that Denmark were most comfortable on the counter-attack – an approach that served them so well during their fairytale win at Euro 92 – and you had a confused broth.

Denmark's extra man meant they inevitably controlled the first half, and created a couple of very good chances, but theirs was a kind of sterile domination, the result of an aggressive-passive approach. And with every Cañizares save, an intoxicating cocktail of destiny and fatalism became ever more Spanish in flavour.

It was also goalless in Belfast after a largely witless first half in which the Republic were comfortable but not incisive. ("The match," said Ken Jones in the Independent, "never rose above the level of perspiring mediocrity.") At that stage the Republic were going out, but the group changed when Spain took the lead in the 63rd minute. A corner from the right was driven beyond the far post, José Maria Bakero baulked Peter Schmeichel, and Fernando Hierro headed into the vacant net. Schmeichel was furious, and with good reason. "Of course it was a foul," said Bakero years later. It was only the second goal Denmark had conceded in 10 qualifying games. "In my eyes it seemed like the referee regretted sending off Zubizaretta and started to give the Spanish a few favours," said Schmeichel after the match.

Denmark pressed, but Spain drew strength from a raucous atmosphere at an intimidating venue where they played every qualifier between 1983 and 1995. At that stage Denmark were going out, but the 'as it stands' table changed again when, out of nothing, Jimmy Quinn scored a stunning volley for Northern Ireland in the 71st minute. Jimmy Nicholl, the Northern Ireland No2, celebrated with an up yours gesture at his Republic counterpart Maurice Setters.

With the Republic now needing a goal, Jack Charlton turned to Tony Cascarino. There was one problem: Cascarino, for the only time in his career, had forgotten to put his kit on. When Cascarino unzipped his tracksuit top, all he saw was a plain cotton T-shirt. When Charlton asked what was keeping him, Cascarino informed him of the slight impediment to his introduction. "His face turned purple," said Cascarino. "I thought he was going to have a heart attack. 'You fucccccking idiot!'" As with Gualtieri's goal, this was stratospheric farce.

There was no time for this story to play out to its conclusion, because in the 76th minute the substitute McLoughlin brought the Republic level with a fine goal, chesting down a half-cleared free-kick and ramming it into the corner. An exhausted Charlton later said that McLoughlin had "justified his existence". He was also in Cascarino's good books for the rest of his days. "I have always believed," said Cascarino, "that, had Alan McLoughlin not equalised … there's a fair chance Jack would have chinned me."

The Republic pushed for a different kind of knockout blow, knowing they were out if Denmark equalised in Seville. Cañizares made an unbelievable save from Bent Christensen (although this video suggests a foul had been given for a push by Christensen), and then Michael Laudrup drilled a long-range half-volley just wide.

When the final whistle went in Belfast, the Republic celebrated in the mistaken belief that it was over in Seville and that they had qualified. Charlton thought the same as he walked down the tunnel, only to see a TV showing the last rites of Spain v Denmark. "The guy asked if I wanted it to watch it," said Charlton. "'Do I bollocks,' I said. Then he touched me on the shoulder and said: 'Now will you look?' And I did, and it had finished 1-0." The Republic and Denmark were level on points and goal difference. The Republic, who scored four goals in nine games at the World Cup under Charlton, were through by virtue of scoring more goals.

In the feverish aftermath, Charlton decided to score a point. "I spotted Billy [Bingham] talking among his players and moved in his direction to congratulate him on his retirement and compliment him on a good game," he said in his autobiography. "At least that was my intention. Instead, in a moment I still find difficult to understand, I pointed a finger at him and blurted 'Up yours too, Billy.'"

Charlton regretted the words instantly, not least because it hadn't been Bingham who gestured at Setters in the first place, and apologised shortly after. A surreal night ended with Charlton presenting Bingham with an award to mark his retirement. "Some of the people who'd been abusing me all evening are stood there cheering. I think that said it all about a crazy, noisy night."

There was no warm, fuzzy ending in Seville. "When the final whistle blew," said the Denmark striker Flemming Povlsen, "I cried with an anger every bit as intense as the joy I'd felt the year before on winning the European Championship." This headline – which simply said 'ROBBERY' – summed up Denmark's feelings. For the first time in 16 years, the European champions had failed to qualify for the World Cup.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993

I was too young back then to understand the political elements that surrounded this game and it was only in later years that I came to understand that part of it. The goal from Alan McLoughlin, however, is etched into my memory along with George Hamilton's commentary and McLoughlin's fist-waving celebration. I remember myself and my father jumping up and down hysterically after he scored and it's one of my earliest and favourite football memories.

Here is Reeling in the Years with their take on it:

The night Alan McLoughlin became a legend. McLoughlin incidentally is currently working as first-team coach with Portsmouth.

I'm interested to know what people's memories are of this game. What do you remember of the match? And whereabouts did you watch it?

It's perhaps a safe bet to say that there will never be a meeting between the two sides quite like this and I'd suggest that's probably a good thing.

Still, what theatre this was.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Watched it in the Lough and Quay in D22 was woriking as a lounge boy.

mad game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Remember it well, I was only 8 and watched it at home, had chips and sausages for tea which was rare for a wednesday night. Jimmy Quinn put me off my food and remember Billy Bingham being a tool.

We spent most of the next day at school reliving Alan McLoughlins equalizer. Magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I remember NI taking the lead and thinking that was that. It was a night of high drama in many of the other groups IIRC. Seemed more exciting back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I remember the papers a few weeks after the game saying that Phil Babb and Paul McGrath were called black fenian bastards throughout the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Nothing has changed. N.I football is still a horrible cesspit of muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I was ten at the time. All I can remember is Bingham making gestures at the crowd to keep celebrating. It was such a hateful night. I will never forget Alan Mcg's goal half volley if I remember right. Ireland flew back from Belfast that night. They needed to get out of the lions den. Thought we'd qualify for every World cup from then. Sad to think we've been to one since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Nice writeup

Cheers for posting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ah memories, watched it in my local which was the main 'sports bar' in town, place was decked out with flags, scarves, souvenirs as plenty of the locals used go to the games. Nerve racking watching the last few minutes in Seville and them mayhem when the final whistle went, champagne flowing, the works, bar owner was a genuine Irish fan, had followed them all over for years.

I was off work at the time and had a neck brace on after a car accident so was able to have a right good skip, it got ****ed off that night. Met up the next night, a few of us and started making plans to go the finals, and we all eventually got there.

Outwith being at matches, one of the best nights of my life as an Irish fan, epic. Will be a few nostalgic tales told tomorrow night over pints. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I was 9, watched it at home with my folks and sister. Although I was young I understood the political context. So the booing and general hostility wasn't a shock for me. What I didn't expect was a close game, I remember Niall Quinn getting a brace in a 3-0 win against them at Lansdowne. In my naïvety I expected it to follow a similar scoreline.

After Jimmy Quinn scored though, I really did not think we would get the equalising goal. We weren't making any clear inroads into the North's defence. McLoughlin had hardly featured for us in the qualifiers up to that stage. He was an unlikely hero on the night.

I remember it clearly. Even as a young lad I recall the tension that night was something else. Incredibly hostile atmosphere being whipped into a frenzy by Billy Bingham, remember that? I thought he was some sort of evil antichrist at the time!

There wasn't away fans allowed was there? Atmosphere was poison.

Fantastic goal by McLaughlin and incredible result by the Irish team given the circumstances.

Certainly is up there as one of a handful of games that is cemented into my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That was 20 years ago, fcuk me,

What the fcuk am I doing with my life!

The commentary is still etched in my brain, from hearing it live, then from repeating it in the park when scoring any goal as a young lad.

Classic stuff, what hero's and dreams are made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I remember watching it at home and even at five years of age, I could understand the nastiness of the atmosphere emanating from Windsor Park and that twat Billy Bingham winding the fans up even more.

Both goals were crackers and I remember I was incredibly tense until it had all been sorted.

In fairness, it was a totally different time politically. I'd been up in the North that summer to visit relatives and got a right shock at everything there. It seemed like a whole world apart. I remember the painted kerbs and the British army getting on the bus at the border.

What I don't understand is why they couldn't separate the two countries back then. They do it nowadays for Armenia and Azerbaijan: http://www.armenianow.com/sports/soccer/20730/euro2012_qualifying_draw_armenia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Remember it well, it remains the only time I've cried watching a football match. Watched it on a portable in my room with my brothers, I was 14 at the time. I just remember the hatred and thinking of the few fans who made the trip up despite all the warnings.

Was jumping around when McLoughlin scored. I remember Bingham's wave to fans to get them roused.

EDIT: Just watched the video after posting. Still get a lump in my throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

With the Republic now needing a goal, Jack Charlton turned to Tony Cascarino. There was one problem: Cascarino, for the only time in his career, had forgotten to put his kit on. When Cascarino unzipped his tracksuit top, all he saw was a plain cotton T-shirt. When Charlton asked what was keeping him, Cascarino informed him of the slight impediment to his introduction. "His face turned purple," said Cascarino. "I thought he was going to have a heart attack. 'You fucccccking idiot!'" As with Gualtieri's goal, this was stratospheric farce.

There was no time for this story to play out to its conclusion, because in the 76th minute the substitute McLoughlin brought the Republic level with a fine goal, chesting down a half-cleared free-kick and ramming it into the corner.

Didn't hear this bit before or maybe just forgot it. If Cascarino was ready to come on, McLoughlin may not have come on and Ireland may not have got that equalizer - or not through Mcloughlin's goal anyway.

Billy Bingham undid any respect he deserved for his long managerial career that night. When I was a kid I watched his teams in the 80's and cheered them on in the two World Cups they played in and Bingham was seen as the maestro who organised those teams. Beating the host nation Spain in '82 was a remarkable result. Pat Jennings was one of my favourite players as a kid, great 'keeper. In one night and in one game Bingham revealed a side to himself that destroyed his reputation.

Lennonist wrote: »
    Didn't hear this bit before or maybe just forgot it. If Cascarino was ready to come on, McLoughlin may not have come on and Ireland may not have got that equalizer - or not through Mcloughlin's goal anyway.

Billy Bingham undid any respect he deserved for his long managerial career that night. When I was a kid I watched his teams in the 80's and cheered them on in the two World Cups they played in and Bingham was seen as the maestro who organised those teams. Beating the host nation Spain in '82 was a remarkable result. Pat Jennings was one of my favourite players as a kid, great 'keeper. In one night and in one game Bingham revealed a side to himself that destroyed his reputation.

How did Martin O'Neil pay under Big Billy?

He was his captain in '82.

Edit: I don't think they called him Big Billy, or I don't remember him being called that anyway. On wiki it says he's 5ft7

He was his captain in '82.

Edit: I don't think they called him Big Billy, or I don't remember him being called that anyway. On wiki it says he's 5ft7

My point was more that he was such a bigot and he had a RC player. He's known as Big Billy Bingham to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I was about ten at the time and remember going into the back yard with my brother and putting him in goal (between 2 jumpers) I spent ages throwing the ball in the air, chesting it down and trying to slice it into the corner

My point was more that he was such a bigot and he had a RC player. He's known as Big Billy Bingham to me.

He had lots of RC players, it obviously wasn't an issue with him when it came to picking his teams for Northern Ireland. That's why his behaviour that night was so poor and marred his reputation.

Social-Media-Sobriety-Test.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

He had lots of RC players, it obviously wasn't an issue with him when it came to picking his teams for Northern Ireland. That's why his behaviour that night was so poor and marred his reputation.

Thanks for that information.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Social-Media-Sobriety-Test.jpg

:D

Not sure of the point your trying to make

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Watched it on tv at home, I was only a young chap at the time. Dad was up at the game in Windsor trying to keep a low profile, don't know how he did it because I almost wrecked the sitting room when McLoughlin scored.

Thanks for that information.

Failte romhat.

Not sure of the point your trying to make

It was supposed to be a joke as you posted the same reply 5 times!

Dad joke of the day!

Dad joke of the day!

Just flicked back. I only see one post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Windsor Park was and is an absolute sh1te hole of a stadium.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

keith16 wrote: »
    I remember NI taking the lead and thinking that was that. It was a night of high drama in many of the other groups IIRC. Seemed more exciting back then.

Yep there was some weird results.

Didn't England fail to qualify cause they conceded a goal to a minnow and couldn't make it up on goal difference even though they won by a lot.

was in my local watching the game and remember it was a great night as the nightclubs were buzzzing.

really wish we could qualify for another World Cup.

magical times.

I see 5.

Happens me sometimes when using the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

The funny thing is that at that time & age I still had supreme confidence in the Rep.Ireland team. I had zero doubt going into the game or even during it that we would qualify (even at 0-1 down). Reading that article in the OP it makes it seem very tense and improbable (and it probably was) but I genuinely felt none of it at the time.

The FIFA rankings had just started around this time and Ireland were something like 6th in the world (and good value for it). It really seemed no big deal to me that we were 90 minutes away from knocking out the European Champions. Crazy, now that I think of it.

OT, but I think one real legacy of the game is that it has turned a large slice of the fanbase in the Republic from being people who would previously have cheered the the North on in 82 and 86 into ABNI's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I wonder what George Hamilton felt commentating on the match? I mean I presume he grew up supporting the NI team as a youngster. Strange situation to be in.

I think Ive read in the past that he was a Glentoran fan - might be wrong about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

My overriding memory of this game, apart from the equaliser, was Billy Bingham being a complete arse throughout and trying to whip the crowd into a frenzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

That night, also, was a passing of the torch, for me. Part of the vitriol from NI's fans that night (but by no means all) was, I think, from the feeling that RoI was emerging as the dominant team on the island and that NI's fortunes were flagging. A catharsis coming from the nagging feeling that the glory years of the 80s were not coming back.

To be fair, that feeling has been correct, by and large. They had a good campaign for '96 and they had moments under Sanchez but besides that....meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

1;25 on the video seeing Roy Keane with smile on his face a beer in one hand and the thumbs up the other.

It took another 20 years to see that for Ireland again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Billy Bingham. Did anybody ever question his utter bigotry around this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

I was at this game, long story but basically myself and a few others from believe it or not Dundalk ended up sitting in the middle of Linfield supporters as guests of a group of Portadown FC fans.
    The most hateful horrible experience but we survived :D and I have often told the tale and of the atmosphere which was beyond tense and certainly not helped by that bigoted prick Bingham showing his true colours.
    I celebrated McLoughlins goal through gritted teeth and fairly silently as you can imagine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dad joke of the day!

Mod
    There was 5. I deleted the duplicates!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

What bigotry was Bingham up to beyond generally wanting to not let Ireland get to the world cup?

I remember Charlton saying he was so wound up by him during the game that after the final whistle he just walked up and shouted "Yeah, up yours Billy, you ****"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Keano was going nuts at the end there, he`ll bring alot of passion to the Irish setup no doubt about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

gernon wrote: »
    I was at this game, long story but basically myself and a few others from believe it or not Dundalk ended up sitting in the middle of Linfield supporters as guests of a group of Portadown FC fans.
    The most hateful horrible experience but we survived :D and I have often told the tale and of the atmosphere which was beyond tense and certainly not helped by that bigoted prick Bingham showing his true colours.
    I celebrated McLoughlins goal through gritted teeth and fairly silently as you can imagine :D

Actually having gone to a lot of Setanta Cup games Portadown fans are sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was 7, but I remember it clearly, the old man going absolutely mad. We went mental in the front room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I remember the papers a few weeks after the game saying that Phil Babb and Paul McGrath were called black fenian bastards throughout the whole game.

had little effect on the pair, nothing got past them , the eptome of cool throughout - silencing the nastiness in the best possible way - I wonder will I ever see the like of big Paul in a green jersey again - Roy Keane and Brian O'Driscoll I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fuhrer wrote: »
    What bigotry was Bingham up to beyond generally wanting to not let Ireland get to the world cup

I don't think he actually was a bigot

There is a tendency amongst some ROI fans to lable any Nordie who does not want to see ROI progress as a bigot,while at the same time being ABNI themselves
    Sure there are scumbags within the NI fan base that are bigots, but I don't think Bingham was a bigot.

He just wanted his team to win a very high profile game and was using the crowd to his advantage.
    If a ROI manger did the same thing in a similar situation in Dublin would people brand him a bigot ?

Some of NIs most high profile players under Bingham were Catholic and I remember after that game reading that the majority of the NI team that night were Catholic.

There is a thread that appears here every so often about a NI journalist who says he will not support the ROI in the 2002 WC, the outrage against the guy here is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember it like it was last year.(yesterday is overdoing it)

San Marino v England was on earlier and I remember jumping up when San Marino scored. My Dad told me to sit down you eejit cause England were going hammer them. So they did. 1-7 final score.

I remember at half time I could not watch anymore, was too nervous. When I went to bed I heard big roar from TV and Dad was silent in sitting room. I knew then North had scored. I cried and I fell asleep shortly afterwards.

Next thing I remember is Dad coming into bedroom to say " Ireland have qualified for World Cup you can get up"

I stayed up till about 11pm with a bottle of 7up and tayto crisps considering I was only in about 3rd class it felt like Christmas.

There was so much happened that night. France failed to qualify with minutes remaining and Wales missed penalty also to send them through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, it was certainly an eventful night across Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And we were the only team from the these islands (Ireland and Britain) to qualify for the World Cup. Mad stat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

kona wrote: »
    Nothing has changed. N.I football is still a horrible cesspit of muppets.

I remember reading a certain Irish news forum(that is based in the same building as boards) only a couple of days ago, and there were a rather large bunch of Irish football team supporters that are racist muppets too. Its such a shame that there are so many football fans, that by there antics, can make you almost fell ashamed to be a football supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

There is a thread that appears here every so often about a NI journalist who says he will not support the ROI in the 2002 WC, the outrage against the guy here is laughable.

I'd say ther were quite a few die hard south of the border too, not supporting that 2002 team , given the whole Saipan fiasco , sure ther was nearly another civil war here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

roanoke wrote: »

Really interesting video. The Irish fans in the airport singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" is genuinely one of the most cringworthy things I've ever seen though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement