Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus 411 - Timetable and Night Bus confusion

Options
  • 17-11-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello,
    I'm new to Galway. I'm moving to Cappagh Road and I work near the Rahoon Cemetery. I work shifts and my plan was to take Bus 411 to and from work.
    A look at the timetable for bus 411 on the City Direct website left me reassured at first that it wouldn't be a problem, but I noticed a note on there that left me confused:
    NIGHT BUS SERVICE
    The final Route 411 bus departs Eyre Square at 18.45.
    All night services from 19.15 travel along Eglinton Street, University Road and Seamus Quirke Road.
    What now?? According to the timetable, 411 goes between 7:10 to 23:15.

What does that mean? The bus takes a different route after 18:45? Is there a map for that route anywhere, so I'm not waiting for a bus at the cemetery like an idiot after work?

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

mmmull wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm new to Galway. I'm moving to Cappagh Road and I work near the Rahoon Cemetery. I work shifts and my plan was to take Bus 411 to and from work.
    A look at the timetable for bus 411 on the City Direct website left me reassured at first that it wouldn't be a problem, but I noticed a note on there that left me confused:

What now?? According to the timetable, 411 goes between 7:10 to 23:15.

What does that mean? The bus takes a different route after 18:45? Is there a map for that route anywhere, so I'm not waiting for a bus at the cemetery like an idiot after work?

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance!

The City Direct timetables differ between their website and the bus shelters too, not helping your situation (I tried to ring them yesterday about this).

Link to their map:
    http://www.citydirectgalway.ie/uploads/images/map.jpg

It basically takes the route of the 412 after 18.45 until West side where it continues as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

City Direct have my heart broke. I'm at the very start of the 412 route on WDR and according to their timetables, the last 412 bus to go from WDR to Eyre Square leaves at 5. Twice now I've been at the bus stop from 4:50 until 5:10 only for the damn thing to throw up a "not in service" sign and fly past me, leaving me stranded and in a panic trying to get into college to do a weekly test I have. Also when I'm at college and trying to get home, if I don't make the 412 that leaves ES at 5:30, the next bus that passes college is a 411 (it's not supposed to be the 411 until after 6:45) and it takes me on that mad route up along Rahoon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mmmull

Thanks for the reply, foxy_19-89!

Could you define West Side for me? When I look at the route of 412, it actually doesn't go by the cemetery at all. Which would mean I'd had to walk quite a bit to the bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

If it was me i would just bike it. It's only a short cycle down the WDR and across millars lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mmmull wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, foxy_19-89!

Could you define West Side for me? When I look at the route of 412, it actually doesn't go by the cemetery at all. Which would mean I'd had to walk quite a bit to the bus stop.

For the purposes of this thead "West Side" = Westside Shopping Centre.

We've had mega-threads about the difference between the west side (of the city), The West and Westside.

So you'll be fine: the 411 takes a different route between the city and the cemetery at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 mmmull

So you'll be fine: the 411 takes a different route between the city and the cemetery at night.

Thanks for the reply!

So whatever happens, the NIGHT BUS SERVICE version of 411 goes by the Rahoon Cemetery/ takes Rahoon Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Cocolola wrote: »
    City Direct have my heart broke.

Bus 'services' like this give public transport a bad name.

Mind you, it could be worse. A recent article in the Irish Times, which was largely positive about buses, included the following gem:
    Even loyal bus fans have tips for the inexperienced traveller approaching Bus Éireann for the first time. “Never, ever base your travel arrangements on their website,” says [the economist and author David] McWilliams. A couple of weeks ago he was travelling to Derry, and turned up at Busáras in Dublin for the bus, which the website had listed as leaving at 6.30pm, only to find that it had left at 6pm. When he complained about this, an official advised him to “never mind your f***ing website, son”.

Advertisement