Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we live in a garage before building house?

Options
  • 17-11-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all. Partner & I are in thinking of building house. Have site from parents but not much money, therefore we need to live on site whilst building.

SCENARIO: 2 adults, 2 pre-teen girls so we can't live in a mobile home. Its just not gonna work!! Also, Wicklow Co.Co. already told me that they do not allow temporary structures bla bla bla. I know plenty of people who chanced it anyway but its really not something we want to do unless its a last resort.

Our next idea is to build a garage first, live in that, then after year or two of saving, move onto starting the house. We're thinking if we could get away with 15k to start the garage (granted we have roofers, carpenters, block layers, plasterers, diggers etc in the family to call on for favours) could it be a reality? This will be a really basic finish, nothing fancy at all. Is this figure way off?

Due to family commitments, our plan is that no matter what we build, we will have a granny flat for a family member. Wicklow Co. Co. says that this needs to be part of the house with access through so that it can be incorporated back into the house when no longer used. Whether or not it is attached to the house is not a concern for us. Ideally I would have liked a separate building to allow us both to live with some privacy, but its not a deal breaker either.

So keeping in mind that once we build our own part of the house, the garage/granny flat will be immediately occupied by our family member, so it has to be kitted out with kitchen/living, bathroom & bedroom areas regardless of whether we live in it first or not. So its not like its going to go to waste.

Some questions arising include;
    Do we need a proper septic tank from the word go?
    How much are we talking for connection to ESB?
    Is it a good idea???!
    Have any of you done this before?

If anyone has any experience in this field you could share with me to help my frazzled brain it would be much appreciated! :confused:

Comments

Advertisement