Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mouse and dogs

• 17-11-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hello guys,
    it looks like we have a new animal in the house..
    My flatmates can hear scratching so there should be a mouse somewhere in the walls or I don't know.

Of course I don't like the idea and to be honest I am bit terrified by mice :rolleyes:

What can we do that won't hurt the dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Set a few mouse traps with peanut butte ror bacon fat, don't use bait/poison as they will die in some inaccessible place and you'll never get rid of the smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

but the mouse trap could hurt the dogs I suppose no?
    (I am sure Jago would be interested in peanut butter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

put the traps where the dog can't reach them, the kickboards under the kitchen cabinets usually pops off (not always) and under the cabinets is a favourite mosue run, in the back of food cupboards or under/behind furniture. You can also get boxed traps where the trap is inside a plastic "lunchbox" enclosurw or you can just put an ordinary trap inside a cardboard box. Look for the trails of mouse urine (it's their version of satnav) to know where their runs are. Bacon rind is good as they can't lick it off the way some of mine have licked peanut butter and cheese.

They are too intelligent!!
    They are eating food and not get trapped :P
    (I bought traps for rats... yesterday I change to mice trap let's see)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would not put a mouse trap in a cardboard box & expect the dog not to rip up the cardboard to get at the bait.

I would be extremely careful using rat traps when you have dogs. If a dog got to one it could do serious damage.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    I would not put a mouse trap in a cardboard box & expect the dog not to rip up the cardboard to get at the bait.

A reasonable point, I should have said that i have very small dogs and used a box far bigger than they could rip into. This is obviously not an option for keepers of larger dogs. Far better is to put the traps where the pets cannot reach them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Cedrus wrote: »
    A reasonable point, I should have said that i have very small dogs and used a box far bigger than they could rip into. This is obviously not an option for keepers of larger dogs. Far better is to put the traps where the pets cannot reach them at all.

My small terriers would shred a cardboard box.

But they are also great mouse hunters.

I agree the dogs should have no access to the traps

Sorry I wanted to say that the mice are too intelligent.
    I put few nice traps but they just ate.
    Dogs of course have no access to the traps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Knine wrote: »

I would be extremely careful using rat traps when you have dogs. If a dog got to one it could do serious damage.

A rat trap is totally unsuitable to catch a mouse.
    As stated it's a few mouse traps ya want, set where it is physically impossible for anything other than the target species to access.
    If you feel the mice are being overfed, do a major clean up and try limit their sources.
    The traps need to be set lightly and checked regularly.
    Best of luck.

jsabina wrote: »

I'm not sure what ya mean by 'just ate'?

If they took the bait off the trap it's just not set light enough.

Mice are usually not easily caught, if they were they'd be extinct long ago :-)

• Advertisement

:( it looks like there are lots of them :(

:( it looks like there are lots of them :(

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

we got one..
    but my flatmate saw another one running and heard noise of lots of them.

I am starting to consider a company that does that... uff.. it's stressfull

we got one..
    but my flatmate saw another one running and heard noise of lots of them.

I am starting to consider a company that does that... uff.. it's stressfull

There mightn't be as many as you think. A small number can create a big racket!
    Chip away at them and hopefully you'll get on top of the problem.

You also need to have a good look around the place for anywhere that more mice can gain access to your building. You should block off all access pts that you can.

Bizzum wrote: »
    There mightn't be as many as you think. A small number can create a big racket!
    Chip away at them and hopefully you'll get on top of the problem.

You also need to have a good look around the place for anywhere that more mice can gain access to your building. You should block off all access pts that you can.

Yes unfortunately there are many cracks in the walls and I am trying to understand how to sort out that.
    This weekend will be that and cleaning a lot moving all the stuff.
    Let's see how it goes.
    For sure reading article on pest control website doesn't help the panic :eek::D

Use bacon rind and tie it on, they can't get that off without tripping the trap,

if in the wooden trap there was written "baited" it means that has poison?
    The traps are in places where dogs cannot access but if the mice go around "poisoned" and die somewhere and the dogs find them :S :S

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

I onc e trapped 15 mice in three days. They were inside the gas oven, the central heating boiler case... I use a sultana tied to the hook..

We got 4 so far.
    I called a couple of pest control company and they said the would use rodenticide.
    I don't really want especially for the dogs.
    Even if it is in boxes, if the mouse go to die somewhere else and Jago find him it would be bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

are they babies? Its likely the mother got in and just had about 10 of them, you just got to keep setting the traps and if your dog does set them off i'm sure it will quickly learn to stay away.

• Advertisement

They are all same size, one was smaller. Poor they are so cute :(
    Yes I keep putting traps, the dog cannot reach them I put in hidden closed spaces (accessible to the mice though).
    Ufff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We got 4 so far.
    I called a couple of pest control company and they said the would use rodenticide.
    I don't really want especially for the dogs.
    Even if it is in boxes, if the mouse go to die somewhere else and Jago find him it would be bad..

Honestly I wouldn't get pest company they use poison. If your dog gets dead mouse they could die. On another note if mouse takes poison goes into your wall and eats poison there the smell will be so horrendous you will literally need to knock down the wall. (We had this issue in work but it was under floor boards honestly the smell was horrific, we use retokil). I had a big mouse problem a few years ago I think I caught 10! I used the wooden traps and mars bars/toffee crisps. I laid the traps along the walls at night (didn't let dogs into the room) and went upstairs within a few minutes you would hear traps going off and catching mice. After a few days of catching none I presumed they had gone. I then got this ultrasonic device and plug in things which I find very very good! No problems since. Obviously you have to see where they are getting in and sort that out. In my case they were just walking in back door as I would leave it open while dogs went to the loo!

Thanks.
    I think I'll buy the ultra sonic thing just to try and for the future.
    It's very difficult for me to understand where they are getting in.. I am sure there are few holes and cracks I can see from outside the building though.
    They are in the attic and one caught beside the kitchen furniture.
    I'll keep using the traps that I have and I hope they will leave!

I would adopt a cat but unfortunately I am allergic :P

Advertisement