Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship Advice?

Options
  • 17-11-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, i'd just like to ask a quick question that i'm unsure of. I have recently begun an internship straight after completing a masters. The company is very good at what they do and professional, so good environment to be in and I do not wish to appear ungrateful, as they have acted nothing but respectfully towards me.

Currently, i'd say just shy of 25% of the staff in the company are interns, with a 50/50 mix of job bridge interns and regular interns (such as myself). As far as I understand, the company prefers to develop graduates and hire the proficient ones into entry level positions where they can rather then hire experienced people for these positions. Of course, they also hire the normal route for some more important positions where experience is required. It is a very competitive industry.

The issue I have, is of the current batch of interns, who are very bright and hard working don't get me wrong, but I have a bit more working experience and a more relevant background (education/experience), so whilst they are receiving more direct mentor-ship and training, I am been assigned work and projects that I require little supervision for and by in large, I am doing allot of individual work, with some liaising. Of course, i'm picking up things as well by just been around and it is better then been at home searching for jobs. I work around 45+ hrs a week.

The crux of it is, I feel like i'm doing a job and delivering value from day 1, so they should be either paying me as an employee or giving me more training/mentor-ship like the other interns. I don't want to sound like i'm an entitled so and so, but without a guarantee of a job (which would be a poorly paid starting position anyways) or time frame, i'm at risk of been exploited (for lack of better word).

Of course, I am networking and been pro-active in the meantime at work, whilst searching for employment, but am I been naive working for free whilst I could be doing other things (e.g. part time paid work in retail which I thought would be a thing of the past at this point)? Where do I stand as an intern who is essentially filling in a role that a paid employee should be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

ANOMIntern wrote: »
    Hi, i'd just like to ask a quick question that i'm unsure of. I have recently begun an internship straight after completing a masters. The company is very good at what they do and professional, so good environment to be in and I do not wish to appear ungrateful, as they have acted nothing but respectfully towards me.

Currently, i'd say just shy of 25% of the staff in the company are interns, with a 50/50 mix of job bridge interns and regular interns (such as myself). As far as I understand, the company prefers to develop graduates and hire the proficient ones into entry level positions where they can rather then hire experienced people for these positions. Of course, they also hire the normal route for some more important positions where experience is required. It is a very competitive industry.

The issue I have, is of the current batch of interns, who are very bright and hard working don't get me wrong, but I have a bit more working experience and a more relevant background (education/experience), so whilst they are receiving more direct mentor-ship and training, I am been assigned work and projects that I require little supervision for and by in large, I am doing allot of individual work, with some liaising. Of course, i'm picking up things as well by just been around and it is better then been at home searching for jobs. I work around 45+ hrs a week.

The crux of it is, I feel like i'm doing a job and delivering value from day 1, so they should be either paying me as an employee or giving me more training/mentor-ship like the other interns. I don't want to sound like i'm an entitled so and so, but without a guarantee of a job (which would be a poorly paid starting position anyways) or time frame, i'm at risk of been exploited (for lack of better word).

Of course, I am networking and been pro-active in the meantime at work, whilst searching for employment, but am I been naive working for free whilst I could be doing other things (e.g. part time paid work in retail which I thought would be a thing of the past at this point)? Where do I stand as an intern who is essentially filling in a role that a paid employee should be?

Is the internship of fixed duration?
    Two years ago, I did a 4-month unpaid internship. Quite soon I made it plain to the hiring manager that I was eager to get hired and I asked for pointers on how to maximize my chances. The manager needs to be straight with you about upcoming roles so that you can formally apply. If you've made overtures and received ambiguous answers, then you should start to apply for positions with other companies. Communicate your ambition and hopes to the right people within the organization. Then, based on the responses you get, make a judgement call.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, thanks for reply. Internship is formally for four months, no guarantee of a job. The general practice in the business is that entry level staff go through an internship and if they're good, get hired into the entry level positions which are not advertised on job sites (afaik). Business is currently expanding, bringing in interns and hiring for each department.

I'm actively looking for employment in the meantime, networking in the business and am fairly proactive. Unlike the other interns, I don't work under any one department and basically do work for each department that require me drawing on my qualifications (masters) for the most part (and of course some menial work here and there).

I'm learning allot, mainly cause i'm finding solutions to problems, which requires me to liaise with everyone from the sectary to the mangers and as a result i'm picking up things from all over the business. But as I say, I feel like I am doing a job that adds value right now. In-fact, i'll be briefing in new (paid) staff on a system soon as i'm the only one with working knowledge of it (strikes me as odd having an intern training people!)

Advertisement