Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Console?

• 17-11-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,

I'm posting this in all three of the proprietary forums to get your views.
    hope thats ok?

i want advice on the best console for my situation if you don;t mind, and be biased if you like, as i'll read them all and be grateful.
    I've a preference for first person shooters and strategy games, but the wife is fairly easy going as to what games take her fancy. also, i want an all rounder if thats possible.
    I would appreciate any advice, and if you'd like more specific info about anything, so as to advise, please ask away.
    they've become fairly expensive, and i've not been looking into them for a while, so would like the pointers so as to maximise the value from the purchase, one only coming to the house if you get me?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xbox one - 500e, bigger,more software power,300k servers some based here in Ireland , has the better selection of fps games IMO, not sure about games for your wife I think the ps4 would have the better selection of Indie games and my partner loves indie games so she'd be more into ps4,

both consoles are good media devices (dont mind all that ****e about the ps4 been a gaming device, it basicly has the same apps as the ONE if not it has more, although it does have alot more exclusives)

PS4 - 400e, quite small, more hardware power, has a nice all round selection of games, none to my fancy but quite alot of people prefer them so you most likely will as well, nice line up of exclusives for the next year or so think they have double the exclusives of games compared to the x1, controller is apparently alot better now, also you can't forget ps+ which is a brilliant edition for the playstation, definitly adds alot of value to it, also you don't have to pay for ps+ service to use apps like netflix etc...

Both consoles have their advantages and their disadvantages really just depends on your budget as I will be getting both at some point :) if your on a really tight budget I'd say get the ps4 as its cheaper and you'll get few games free with it on the ps+ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

xbox one are continuing the free games from january i heard somewhere, major nelson i think it was, heres hoping its not just arcade games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Curious that you have left off online? Do you intend to play online or just offline? Do you have any friends on or off line that will be moving to next gen?

For me this has always been a big factor in choosing a console- i have both but i do all of my online gaming on xbox & pc. However i also reckon that you need to factor in which has the better exclusives, which controller you feel more comfortable with etc.

If i'm being honest, and this is coming from an xbox fanboy, there is very little to seperate both consoles IMO. as 2Mad2BeMad rightly said, both have advantages and disadvantages so it is really a matter of finding out which you would prefer in the long run. If you have any interest in using it as a media machine aswell, then xbox trumps it marginally. For pure gaming there is little to nothing between them, perhaps in 12 months time that will change with more exclusives etc but as it stands they look fairly even.

Personally i will be getting an XB1 at launch, but i will certainly within the next 12 months look to add a PS4 aswell.

Best of luck deciding though, if you are not in a rush why not wait until the new year, give yourself a chance to possibly get hands on with both consoles and then decide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You're posting in the xbox forum and expecting a balanced reply????? dude, do you even internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

duploelabs wrote: »
    You're posting in the xbox forum and expecting a balanced reply????? dude, do you even internet?

Did you even read what he wrote?

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

he posted in both the ps4 and xbox sub forums
    although I agree posting it in the "games" section would of been more ideal for a balanced response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    he posted in both the ps4 and xbox sub forums
    although I agree posting it in the "games" section would of been more ideal for a balanced response

Not posting it on the internet at all and throwing a dart blindfolded at pictures of the two machines would give him a more balanced response. Fanboys will fanboy.

In fairness, in threads like this, you just need to sift through the bull**** and you'll find a few decent posts.

As far as I can see, there's not a huge difference between the two consoles, apart from the price. If I could find no real difference between two things, the price would be the most important factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You're likely not going to be able to get one before Christmas so you might as well wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

If you want an all-rounder then definitely get the Xbox. The PS4 is pretty much just a games machine + netflix + browser. On the One you can pull pictures/videos from your SkyDrive and view it on the Xbox, Skype, Netflix, browse, play games, listen to music (you can't on PS4 :confused:). You can even connect an external HDMI cable (from your Sky box for example, or PC and anything else that has a HDMI cable) to your Xbox, and hopefully control your Sky box through your controller once it's all sorted (expected to be early 2014 for UK, so I assume it's the same for Ireland).

Feature-wise, the Xbox One definitely outdoes the PS4. The whole "One" branding was used for that reason, it's a whole entertainment system as well as games system.

Not posting it on the internet at all and throwing a dart blindfolded at pictures of the two machines would give him a more balanced response. Fanboys will fanboy.

In fairness, in threads like this, you just need to sift through the bull**** and you'll find a few decent posts.

As far as I can see, there's not a huge difference between the two consoles, apart from the price. If I could find no real difference between two things, the price would be the most important factor.

fanboys can be fanboys in their own section without getting an infraction while in the games section they can be biased (which he asked for) but can't troll so its balanced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

I'm getting the Xbox one because that's what i'm used to, it's what my friends play, and online is imo superior on it.

If you want a console with superior hardware power such as 1080p resolution and a more powerful graphics card get the PS4.

PS4 is better bang for your buck for sure, but i'm an Xbox man and always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I'm getting the Xbox one because that's what i'm used to, it's what my friends play, and online is imo superior on it.

If you want a console with superior hardware power such as 1080p resolution and a more powerful graphics card get the PS4.

PS4 is better bang for your buck for sure, but i'm an Xbox man and always will be.

What he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

the way i look at it sony will support their console with more exclusives and for longer. look at all the exclusives out this year for ps3 compared to xbox. all those devs will be working on ps4 games now.

if you're big into online you might want to wait and see what your friends get but i've a feeling the majority of people will be on playstation this time. just feels like we're going back to the ps4 days.

Advertisement