Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quite enjoyed Trapped - at 45 mins a pop it's not a bum acher when shown back to back.

Tonight 9 PM - an intriguing sounding doc about the Shah of Iran's final big moment before revolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,500_year_celebration_of_the_Persian_Empire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

i watched trapped - some familiar faces in it ( the main male character form The Killing Season 1) seems very slow and quite dark. still its better than most of the crap on TV on a saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I liked trapped. Lots of different threads going on at the same time, I was frozen just watching it. Went out afterwards to check farm animals, and itfelt positively balmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭brian_t

I think it's great that BBC4 shows its Nordic Noir in double-bills on a Saturday. I'd hate to be watching Trapped on RTE over 10 weeks but I think its good that they are showing it.

Trapped ends next Saturday and the following Saturday sees the start of 'Follow the Money' - a 10 parter from Denmark.

And of course, if you missed any of "Trapped" and can't get the iplayer in your area, RTE are now showing it.....

• Advertisement

Looking forward to Follow the Money if only because it feels tonally different to the typical Scandi-noir and more like Headhunters (2012) for example though that remains to be seen I guess!

Meanwhile has anyone been watching The Renaissance Unchained with Waaldemar Januszczak? He is an acquired taste I suspect but its been an enjoyable poke about the Renaissance, last one is on tonight.

brian_t wrote: »
    I think it's great that BBC4 shows its Nordic Noir in double-bills on a Saturday. I'd hate to be watching Trapped on RTE over 10 weeks but I think its good that they are showing it.

Trapped ends next Saturday and the following Saturday sees the start of 'Follow the Money' - a 10 parter from Denmark.
    Tak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

There's a very good film on bbc 4 tonight at 22.30 Sunday March the 13, its called in the house, its quirky and weird but very clever and funny at times.

There's a very good film on bbc 4 tonight at 22.30 Sunday March the 13

I've been enjoying the foreign films that BBC4 have chosen for this time slot although they don't show one every week.

Two weeks ago they had the French rom-com "Populaire" and previously they've shown the Swedish "Easy Money" trilogy.

Next week they have Pedro Almodóvars Spanish comedy "I'm So Excited".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I love the foreign films, they are original and different then the mainstream crap films. Bbc 4 is the best channel out there by a country mile for docs and flicks.

• Advertisement

I've recorded tonights film as its Spanish and called I'm So Excited and sounds saucy! :p

However I'm really here to mention Prof Jim has a new two parter starting on Tuesday at 9 PM on the origins of the universe - presumably it'll take in the recent breakthrough at least in part (it may have been made to early for the big news).

Not strictly appropriate to this thread, but More4 have a Swedish political thriller starting now. "Blue Eyes "

Watching it here with some very talkative people so not giving it full attention
    But i was thinking these ad breaks are a pain in the ar5e

Can't beat
    ad free bbc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

brian_t wrote: »
    I've been enjoying the foreign films that BBC4 have chosen for this time slot although they don't show one every week.

Two weeks ago they had the French rom-com "Populaire" and previously they've shown the Swedish "Easy Money" trilogy.

Next week they have Pedro Almodóvars Spanish comedy "I'm So Excited".

Awful film,there are far better Almodóvar films they could have chosen.

heh! I watched it, that's the thing about Almodóvar - you just don't know what he'll do next. A millions miles from something like The Skin I Live In.

James May hits BBC Four for three programmes in which he puts mechanical things back together - a sort of *ahem* Captain Slow Season

Storyville - Being Evel Knievel is on Thursday at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just settling down to watch the latest 2 episodes of Follow the Money...absolutely hooked!

According to DigiGuide 'Follow the Money' will be followed by 'Hinterland' starting Saturday April 23rd.

Shakespeare is 400 years dead this year and to mark it BBC has a Shakespeare season .

It starts with a live event called Shakespeare Live! on BBC2 on April 23rd hosted by David Tennant.

BBC4's contribution over the following days will be to show Forbidden Planet, Richard III, Henry IV and Henry V.

Just settling down to watch the latest 2 episodes of Follow the Money...absolutely hooked!

I watched the first episode of Follow the money when it first aired, ive the rest of them recorder and forgot about them until I saw this post. Is it good - worth a watch,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

dball wrote: »
    I watched the first episode of Follow the money when it first aired, ive the rest of them recorder and forgot about them until I saw this post. Is it good - worth a watch,

I'm finding it gripping! Not quite of The Killing's standard but well worth watching. Final 2 episodes are airing on Saturday.

• Advertisement

dball wrote: »

Ya I'm really enjoying it. Find the financial crime aspect of it interesting.

‘The French Broadchurch’ comes to BBC4 saturdays at the end of this month.

More stuff coming

9.00 PM Monday
    Storm Troupers: The Fight to Forecast the Weather
    1/3 Alok discovers how weather forecasting began as a way of saving lives at sea.
    Two repeats well worth watching

9.00 PM Tuesday
    2015-2016, Last Days in Vietnam
    The US evacuation of Saigon, with contemporary reflections from those who were there.

10.35 PM Tuesday
    World War Two: 1945 & the Wheelchair President
    David Reynolds re-examines the war leadership of American president Franklin Roosevelt.

8.00 PM Wednesday
    Hidden Killers of the Postwar Home
    The 1950s British home was full of modern technology - but also unexpected dangers.
    The latest addition to this occasional series with Dr Suzannah Lipscomb (woof!)

9.00 PM Wednesday
    Going Going Gone: Nick Broomfield's Disappearing Britain
    Profiles of two iconic buildings threatened with demolition in Liverpool and Cardiff.

9 PM Thursday
    Dan Cruickshank: At Home with the British The Terrace
    2/3 Dan is in Liverpool to explore the terrace, the home more Britons live in than any other.

10.00 PM Thursday
    Going Forward Episode 2
    2/3 With mother's health worsening, Kim and Jackie have to put their escape plans on hold. Spin off series from Getting On, Jo Brand as community nurse Kim Wilde (!) and her husband making ends meet.

Friday is all music repeats :(

Saturday as mentioned above the first two parts of The Disappearance French with subs.

11:00 PM Sunday
    Damien Hirst and Jeff Koons Side by Side:
    Kirsty Wark talks to two of the biggest stars of the modern art world.

Just a mention that Jonathan Meades is back for a 90 min special next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Anything with Dr Suzannah Lipscomb is worth watching.

She's hot and kinky :D

17-26367555082de7510f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Watched David Attenborough's Zoo quest last night, absolutely fascinating, two 28 year olds heading off on their own to places no one had been to in the 1950's. The trip to the Komodo Islands in a ship captained by a gunrunner who didn't know where he was going was class, like all the things Attenborough does.

First episode of "The Dissapearence" looks promising! Get your Gallic fix here. :D

Yep it wasn't bad, moved along at a clip - mind you I was glad when the teenage daughter went missing in much the same way I was in Taken (they are so annoying!)

Anyway tonight - sultry Dr Lipscomb looking for killers of the Victorian home part 1. followed by 90 minutes of Jonathan Meades architecture of Mussolini at 9 PM.

(Oh yes on BBC Two a bonkbuster about the Sun King at 9.30 which is the sort of thing that would have been on Four but for the fact it's made in English.)

Just caught up with episodes 3 and 4 of the Disappearance, gripping stuff and superb acting imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Loving The Disappearance too! It's very gripping but not overly dark in the manner that the whole Nordic Noir scene can be, it's more similar to something like Broadchurch I'd say. So far at least! Lots of cliffhangers,secrets, twists and turns but no human torsos sown together or nightmare weirdness...yet.

Advertisement