Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Missed Saturday's two episodes. Cutting silage. Are they repeated anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nope they don't repeat the subtitled dramas alas.

BBC Four will be gone for normal programming in August as it becomes an Olympic channel for a month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

From the Sea to the Land and Beyond: Storyville.

Recorded this last night, brilliant documentary with a superb soundtrack (by British Sea Power).

Another unique BBC Four gem.

That was a repeat (third or fourth showing by now) and yes its very good, that colour footage from the 1950s is quite stunning wish there had been more of it.

There is a similar film about coal and steel which may have been made by the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Romania v Albania tonight -Euro 2016 LIVE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

If they need to use bbc 4 for the simultaneous euro 2016 games or the olympics for 2 weeks in august, I'm ok with that if it keeps the bills paid for the channel. Considering all the talk around bbc cuts recently.

Football? - where will it end?! :eek: :pac:

Did anyone watch that programme about the deaf (Mon 9 PM repeated at 2.56 AM with ly signing!) very good glimpse into a world most of us never even think about.

The Storyville documentary about the "Pink Panthers" was absorbing.

Coming up this week

Tuesday 9 PM B is for Book - 12 months in the life of children leaning to read.
    Thursday 8 PM Keys to the Kingdom - 40 years of castle owning comes to an end with old age
    Thursday 9 PM The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse - really good documentary about the TV host and humourist
    Saturday - 9 PM A Hijacking - Danish drama about a ship taken over by Somali pirates (I have a suspicion this is a repeat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Thursday 9 PM The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse - really good documentary about the TV host and humourist

great documentary, seen it previously on bbc4 - very insightful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Did anyone watch that programme about the deaf (Mon 9 PM repeated at 2.56 AM with ly signing!) very good glimpse into a world most of us never even think about.

The Storyville documentary about the "Pink Panthers" was absorbing.

Coming up this week

Tuesday 9 PM B is for Book - 12 months in the life of children leaning to read.
    Thursday 8 PM Keys to the Kingdom - 40 years of castle owning comes to an end with old age
    Saturday - 9 PM A Hijacking - Danish drama about a ship taken over by Somali pirates (I have a suspicion this is a repeat)

I saw the hijacking before as a movie on iTunes , well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

New to BBC Four on Thursday (8pm & 3am, Repeated Saturday 7pm) is Bannister:Everest on The Track (About the first sub four minute mile).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    From the Sea to the Land and Beyond: Storyville.

Recorded this last night, brilliant documentary with a superb soundtrack (by British Sea Power).

Another unique BBC Four gem.

Gutted I missed that! And I thought that Storyville was the one irregularly scheduled programme my flaky UPC box was able to actually remember to record! One upside of the BBC cuts is that they'll be repeating it soon enough, I suppose..

Fond memories of BSP from a teeny gig they played in Cyprus Avenue, with about half the audience being "travelling support" from the UK who seem to stalk them everywhere, and catching the tail end of a surprisingly large crowd they got at a German festival. </nostalgia>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Gutted I missed that! And I thought that Storyville was the one irregularly scheduled programme my flaky UPC box was able to actually remember to record! One upside of the BBC cuts is that they'll be repeating it soon enough, I suppose..

Fond memories of BSP from a teeny gig they played in Cyprus Avenue, with about half the audience being "travelling support" from the UK who seem to stalk them everywhere, and catching the tail end of a surprisingly large crowd they got at a German festival. </nostalgia>

To fill the BSP shaped hole in your life, this book should tide (!!) you over til its repeated

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-Your-Mum-British-dreams-ebook/dp/B00OCUB5SU/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470409031&sr=1-2&keywords=british+sea+power

BBC Four is the Olympic channel from tomorrow afternoon on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭brian_t

BBC Four is the Olympic channel from tomorrow afternoon on :(

They have a couple of repeated programmes every night between 2am and 4am.

Britain on Film, Sounds of the Sixties & then an hour long documentary.

After the break, BBC Four will be getting some new reworkings of lost sitcoms from old scripts (as part of an extended BBC TV Sitcom Season). There will also be a documentary about the genre.

I'd rather see the BBC trying to make new programmes than squeeze the last bit of juice out of old favourites, to be honest.

On BBC Four, there will be recreations of three classic Lost Sitcoms. The scripts for these shows still exist but the original recordings have vanished from the archives. The Lost Sitcoms are Hancock’s Half Hour ‘The New Neighbour’, written by Galton and Simpson featuring Kevin McNally as Tony Hancock and Robin Sebastian as Kenneth Williams; Steptoe and Son ‘A Winter’s Tale’, also written by Galton and Simpson'; and Till Death Us Do Part ‘A Woman’s Place is in the Home’, written by Johnny Speight. Each sitcom will be recreated with a brand new cast and filmed in a theatrical-style presentation in front of a studio audience. The Lost Sitcoms are a BBC In-house production and will be produced by Owen Bell and executive produced by Steven Canny.

Also on BBC Four, British Sitcom: 60 Years Of Laughing At Ourselves will celebrate British sitcom and take a look at the social and political context from which our favourite sitcoms grew. The film will also show clips from the nation’s most loved sitcoms and provide insight from those who made them, including Steve Coogan, James Corden and Richard Curtis. It will be produced and directed by Breid McLoone and executive produced by Steven Canny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/sitcom-season

Their new Slow television special, All Aboard! The Country Bus has been confirmed for 29 August at 8pm to 10pm.

A two-hour bus journey through the Yorkshire Dales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/35/all-aboard-the-country-bus

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cheap way of filling lots of airtime, surprised RTE haven't copped onto this yet :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Bump for the ramble round the Dales.

I like quizzes and whilst Hive Minds wasn't a great replacement for Only Connect it is nevertheless a quiz.

It returns to BBC 4 at 8:30pm on Thursday.

Also this week:

London 1666 is on Monday at 8:30pm

A landmark event to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the Great Fire of London, as a 100-metre-long representation of the skyline of 17th-century London floating on the River Thames is set ablaze in a dramatic retelling of September 1666.

All Together Now: The Great Orchestra Challenge is on Tuesday at 9pm

Episode 2 - Series looking for the orchestra that best captures the spirit of great British amateur music-making in the UK

Lost Sitcoms: Hancock's Half Hour is on Thursday at 9pm

Series which recreates three classic lost British sitcoms with a stellar new cast

BBC Proms 2016 is on Friday at 7.30pm

The 2016 Proms season draws to a close with Verdi's Requiem

Beck is on Saturday at 9pm.

I'm not necessarily recommending these but every other programme seems to be a repeat.

• Advertisement

heh! I watched it, that's the thing about Almodóvar - you just don't know what he'll do next. A millions miles from something like The Skin I Live In.

James May hits BBC Four for three programmes in which he puts mechanical things back together - a sort of *ahem* Captain Slow Season

May is back for three new editions of screwdriver and spanner action. The projects being a Hornby toy train, a food mixer and a Honda Z50a trail bike and they'll be shown at Christmas.

The Keith Richards lost weekend has started on BBC Four, nice bit of Hancock on at the moment.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101116198&postcount=7535

I like his selection of films.

Amazing how BBC Four even dropped the World News from the schedules for this.

In general the News is immovable, regardless of what Rock Legend has taken over the schedules

Rare bit of Spike Milligan's Q on now, I see the early series are being released on DVD at last

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/q/shop/5066/q_volume_1/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What was the story behind that dashcam footage of a car speeding through Paris,was in the loo when it started?

darkdubh wrote: »
    What was the story behind that dashcam footage of a car speeding through Paris,was in the loo when it started?

I think it was this, I don't think he really introduced it. That's how Keith rolls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%27%C3%A9tait_un_rendez-vous
    The film shows an eight-minute drive through Paris in the early hours of the morning (05:30hrs) in August 1976, accompanied by sounds of a high-revving engine, gear changes and squealing tires. It starts in a tunnel of the Paris Périphérique at Porte Dauphine, with an on-board view from an unseen car exiting up on a ramp to Avenue Foch. Well-known landmarks such as the Arc de Triomphe, Opéra Garnier, and Place de la Concorde with its obelisk are passed, as well as the Champs-Élysées. Pedestrians are passed, pigeons sitting on the streets are scattered, red lights are ignored, one-way streets are driven up the wrong way, center lines are crossed, the car drives on the sidewalk to avoid a rubbish truck.

Just looking back for a moment I kiled the adad programme with Jim Moir and the one about the bricks at the Tate museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder will Keith show us how to roll a joint

BBC4 are showing a short ad naming 3 crime dramas.

Beck is currently on.

The Code is presumely the second series of the Australian 6-parter they showed two years ago.

Modus is a new 8 part Swedish crime series about a female criminal psychologist pursuing a serial killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

brian_t wrote: »
    BBC4 are showing a short ad naming 3 crime dramas.

Beck is currently on.

The Code is presumely the second series of the Australian 6-parter they showed two years ago.

Modus is a new 8 part Swedish crime series about a female criminal psychologist pursuing a serial killer.

Great, keep em coming!

Advertisement