Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Will be watching - presumably super-conductivity will be part of the theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Just about to start now (son and I are watching).

Bob Monkhouse next and Brian Cox/Eric Idle is on BBc Two at 9.30 which is spoiler scheduling (or would be if I wasn't recording one)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I enjoyed that Bob Monkhouse programme. Strange that it hasn't been shown in full before now. He was still on top form even though he knew he was dieing.

He always considered himself a comedian first (more than being a writer, actor or Gameshow Host) and was somewhat irked that he wasn't always regarded quite as highly as some of his peers in the Comedy world. It was no accident that he arranged a final Stand Up gig as his farewell to the Entertainment world.

Just caught up with Bob Monkhouse, had that been 10 hours long I'd have watched every moment and kept a bucket by my chair! It bought a thought to me that I've had for a few years now which is about just letting great figures in pop culture be they stand ups, actors, musicians, footballers, whoever just slip away without giving them the chance to just chat about their life and times - get it down on tape, all the stuff that only a few might know about - better it comes straight from the horses mouth than incorrectly recalled second hand years later.

Barry Cryer - get him on tape before he falls of the perch. The stuff he must have on so many! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The regular Christmas offering of the Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures - after Kevin Fong's space talks last year, this time it's all about energy, with the intriguingly-titled "Supercharged" at eight tonight.

it always seems to be posh middle-class kids in the audience

Just stumbled on this today, some bonus unseen Brian Pern footage from last year. Lovely stuff. Hope he returns to BBC Four soon.

https://twitter.com/RhysThomasOBE/status/812309689245405184?lang=en

https://vimeo.com/196824205

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

I enjoyed the "Flying Scotsman from the Footplate" on last night.

I thought that the commentary was good to explain how the steam locomotive worked.

For those that didn't like the commentary - the New Years Day repeat doesn't have it.

Sunday 1st January at 9pm
    Another chance to enjoy the view from the driving seat of the world's most famous steam locomotive as Flying Scotsman travels the length of the Severn Valley Railway.

Special 'cab cameras' and microphones capture all the action from the footplate - this time without commentary. Viewers can appreciate the evocative sound of steam transportation as this magnificent engine attracts crowds from far and wide.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087k5rf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Four hour TV tribute to George Michael - Tonight, Friday December 30th @ 9pm.

Fans of George Michael will want to settle in on the sofa this evening or at least set the record button, as the late singer will be remembered with a four hour long extravaganza on BBC Four.

The special tribute kicks off at 9pm with a documentary about the singer's personal life and career entitled George Michael: A Different Life.

Featuring contributions from the likes of Sir Elton John, Boy George and Noel Gallagher, the programme is centred around a series of interviews with the singer and also recalls Michael's childhood and the Wham! years with fellow band member Andrew Ridgeley.

He also discusses the tragedy of losing his boyfriend, Anselmo Feleppa to an AIDS related condition in 1993, an event that overshadowed much of his subsequent life and career.

Afterwards, there's a dip into the archives as Mark Radcliffe presents a selection of classic Wham! Top of the Pops performances, which no doubt includes their energetic and bare chested debut appearance back in 1982 with Young Guns (Go For It).
    BBC Four's homage concludes with another showing of his 2012 concert at the Palais Garnier which was aired earlier this week.

George was the first pop singer ever to be granted the honour of performing at the famous Opera House as part of his Symphonica Live tour.

The film combines his live stage performances with backstage footage and insights into Michael, the orchestra and the late producer Phil Ramone.

George Michael night begins at 9pm on BBC Four tonight.

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1230/841825-bbc-4s-4-hour-george-michael-tribute-set-for-tonight/

The special tribute kicks off at 9pm with a documentary about the singer's personal life and career entitled George Michael: A Different Life.

Featuring contributions from the likes of Sir Elton John, Boy George and Noel Gallagher, the programme is centred around a series of interviews with the singer and also recalls Michael's childhood and the Wham! years with fellow band member Andrew Ridgeley.

He also discusses the tragedy of losing his boyfriend, Anselmo Feleppa to an AIDS related condition in 1993, an event that overshadowed much of his subsequent life and career.

9pm George Michael: A Different Life

10:30pm TOTP2: Wham! Special

Mark Radcliffe introduces a selection of Top of the Pops performances by George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's duo, featuring Young Guns (Go For It!), Wham Rap! (Enjoy What You Do), Bad Boys, Club Tropicana, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Freedom, Everything She Wants and Edge of Heaven.

11pm George Michael Live at the Palais Garnier

Includes tracks Through, My Baby Just Cares for Me, A Different Corner, Cowboys and Angels, John & Elvis Are Dead, You've Changed, Going to Town, Brother Can You Spare a Dime, Let Her Down Easy, You've Been Loved, Roxanne, Wild is the Wind, Praying for Time, Feeling Good.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-12-30/bbc-to-show-night-of-programmes-dedicated-to-george-michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

brian_t wrote: »
    This is on Thursday 29th December @ 9pm
    Not just any old toy train but the Hornby Flying Scotsman with realistic chuffing sounds which James ripped open on Christmas Day 1972.

It's on Wednesday 28th December @ 9pm

And just to add that at 6:30pm on Monday 2nd January on BBC2 Michael Portillo travels on the Flying Scotsman as part of Great British Railway Journeys.

^^^

I will add more to this as well. The bold bit above is part of a brand new series on BBC Two meaning more good telly to look forward to from Michael this Monday.

I had also watched the Flying Scotsman stuff there over the two nights. I thought they were great shows. I enjoyed them immensely.

James May did a great job with rebuilding his old train set on the engine. The footplate documentary from the engine was a fascinating watch.

I won't be able to see the George Michael night for tonight though. I might watch it later tonight as a repeat of if another chance came up again to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

^^^

I will add more to this as well. The bold bit above is part of a brand new series on BBC Two meaning more good telly to look forward to from Michael this Monday.

I had also watched the Flying Scotsman stuff there over the two nights. I thought they were great shows. I enjoyed them immensely.

James May did a great job with rebuilding his old train set on the engine. The footplate documentary from the engine was a fascinating watch.

I won't be able to see the George Michael night for tonight though. I might watch it later tonight as a repeat of if another chance came up again to see it.

Interestingly, both the Flying Scotsman and the Country Bus programme were two of the few BBC Four programmes this year to achieve 1m viewers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭trashcan

/[/url][/B]

Feck that. Crowded House in concert from the Sydney Opera House on Sky Arts now. I thought it was the 1996Farewell gig, but it's a 20th Anniversay of that gig. Missed the start of it unfortunately. Can't beat a bit of Neil Finn.

Just a mention for Pete and Dud - the Lost Tapes on Channel 4 Saturday at 8 PM

Friday
    2016: A Year in the Life of a Year
    A comic cultural review of 2016, told through mash-up and manipulated archive footage.
    (this is by Brian Pern, Star Stories and Bellamy's People genius Rhys Thomas)

Looking forward to this at 10pm tonight, if it's anything like as good as Rhys's other work I'll be happy.

Heh! The use of I Could Be so Good For You over the start of The Omen was just genius.

That BBC Four Chockablock night looks good, one of the highlights of 2017!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Ooohhh nostalgia like a kick in the nuts!

Nate

There is a new Storyville documentary on tonight at 9pm and repeated later at 2.30am.

Zero Day: Nuclear Cyber Sabotage is the story of Stuxnet (a computer malware) released by the Israelis (allegedly) to destroy a key part of an Iranian nuclear facility.

Sounds interesting and this series is usually very accessable to the layperson.

Fascinating and a bit scary!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Excellent Documentary, coupled with whats going on with Trump and the Russians makes it very scary

looks like the modern soldier just has to a computer whizzkid

Spanish thriller "I Know Who You Are" will air later this year on Saturday nights. (Running Time 10x70 minutes)
    A 55 year-old man staggers along a highway following a terrible accident - but with no memory of who he is or how he got there. His name is Juan Elias (Francesc Garrido), a successful criminal lawyer and university professor, married to judge Alicia Castro (Blanca Portillo), and father of two children, and it seems he has total amnesia.

When the police find the wreck of Juan’s car, they also find the mobile phone of his 23 year-old niece, Ana Saura (Susana Abaitua), who disappeared the same night as the accident, and all the evidence points to the fact that Elias killed her. Now he will have to find a way to prove his innocence, even though he himself is unsure of whether or not he’s guilty.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/i-know-who-you-are

Glad to have a rest form Nordic crime to be honest - they all feel the same now. Whereas something like The Out Laws on More 4 (Belgian comic farce) was actually different and fun.

BBC Four are showing the new version of Roots starting next week - Feb 8th at 9.00-10.35 PM in four parts. Like the 1977 version it's an all star production with evil British actors playing the whites and noble Americans playing the slaves ;)

Episode 1 of well regarded 1997 Documentary Nazis: A Warning From History gets a repeat tonight at 11pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074kmy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Glad to have a rest form Nordic crime to be honest - they all feel the same now. Whereas something like The Out Laws on More 4 (Belgian comic farce) was actually different and fun.
    Can never get enough to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

love the weekly TOTP from the 80's, set the box to record about a year back, I have most of 82 and they are doing 83 now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Skid X wrote: »
    Episode 1 of well regarded 1997 Documentary Nazis: A Warning From History gets a repeat tonight at 11pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074kmy
    Quite appropriate given what's going on in the world right now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

silverharp wrote: »
    love the weekly TOTP from the 80's, set the box to record about a year back, I have most of 82 and they are doing 83 now

Probaly missing the ones with Jimmy Saville, Dave Lee Travis and Gary Glitter, I wonder how many episodes those 3 were in?

• Advertisement

ellobee wrote: »
    Probaly missing the ones with Jimmy Saville, Dave Lee Travis and Gary Glitter, I wonder how many episodes those 3 were in?

Some information about those shows here as posted on the Beebrock thread, where there is lots of weekly Top of The Pops discussion (and more!)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102025812&postcount=7798

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99778683

Advertisement