Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any idea what's going to replace the current reruns of Young Montalbano on Saturday evenings? There's a new series of Hinterland that's already been shown in Welsh with English subs on S4C, so I'd expect the English version of that to be on sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ellobee wrote: »
    Probaly missing the ones with Jimmy Saville, Dave Lee Travis and Gary Glitter, I wonder how many episodes those 3 were in?

there was also a strike, so the show wasn't on for a while.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Skid X wrote: »
    Some information about those shows here as posted on the Beebrock thread, where there is lots of weekly Top of The Pops discussion (and more!)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102025812&postcount=7798

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99778683

I didn't know this thread existed, thanks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The remake of Roots starts on BBC Four tonight at 9pm!

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/fjppgg/roots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

Alun wrote: »
    Any idea what's going to replace the current reruns of Young Montalbano on Saturday evenings? There's a new series of Hinterland that's already been shown in Welsh with English subs on S4C, so I'd expect the English version of that to be on sometime soon.

Sorry to say but "Easter Island: Mysteries of a Lost World" which is a repeat anyway is on Saturday 18th Feb at 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

silverharp wrote: »
    I didn't know this thread existed, thanks

It's required reading in this house.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

brian_t wrote: »
    Sorry to say but "Easter Island: Mysteries of a Lost World" which is a repeat anyway is on Saturday 18th Feb at 10pm

BBC Four is holding it's fire until Taboo is done and dusted AFAIK

Taboo is losing viewers every week (1.7m over 4 episodes) so I suppose they don't want to make it worse.

I hadn't even heard of Taboo and had to Google it :)

Yawn.

• Advertisement

Taboo is losing viewers every week (1.7m over 4 episodes) so I suppose they don't want to make it worse.

All dramas lose viewers if they start strong (it's partially why UK series are often so short I think 3-6 episodes as rule), catch-up has been important for Taboo so far
    I hadn't even heard of Taboo and had to Google it :)

It's great but no point in joining in now, 5 down and 3 to go.

Some Canadian Noir coming later this year.

Cardinal follows Detective John Cardinal (Billy Campbell, The Killing) and Lise Delorme (Karine Vanasse, Revenge) as they join forces to hunt down a killer in a small Northern Ontario town.

The 6 x 60’ series will be the channel’s first Canadian drama and will air later in 2017.

Cassian Harrison, Controller of BBC Four, says: “I’m delighted to expand BBC Four’s hugely popular international drama range with our first Canadian drama series, Cardinal. Further to the recently announced Spanish drama I Know Who You Are and returning hits such as Follow The Money, Inspector Montalbano and Spiral, BBC Four remains the home of high quality, high stakes international drama on British television in 2017.”
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/cardinal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Skid X wrote: »
    Just stumbled on this today, some bonus unseen Brian Pern footage from last year. Lovely stuff. Hope he returns to BBC Four soon.

https://twitter.com/RhysThomasOBE/status/812309689245405184?lang=en

https://vimeo.com/196824205

Sniff! :( (warning - massive spoiler! :pac:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/brian-pern-tribute?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_press_office&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=corporate

According to DigiGuide "Follow the Money" series 2 starts on Saturday 4th March @ 9pm

I can't even remember Follow the Money series one. Did I watch it? Dunno....

I've been watching the remake of Roots and find it really gripping,great acting and the last episode with Jonathan Rhys Meyers was especially good.I saw the old version a few years ago and it was great as well,the new version is a bit pacier!

I can't even remember Follow the Money series one. Did I watch it? Dunno....
    I recorded it, forgot about it, and then accidentally deleted it :)

I'm not sure what to do about this to be honest, I suppose it depends on whether series 2 is a stand-alone one or whether it depends heavily on having watched series 1 to make sense I suppose.

I recorded it, forgot about it, and then accidentally deleted it :)

I'm not sure what to do about this to be honest, I suppose it depends on whether series 2 is a stand-alone one or whether it depends heavily on having watched series 1 to make sense I suppose.

It does appear to be a different case with the same two cops Mads and Alf returning.

But Claudia,
    now out of prison
    also returns as do the two mechanics, "P" the Swede and Evergreens old chairman Mr Christensen.

I'm guessing that it would help to have watched season one.

The Science of Pop with Trevor Horn guesting at 9 Pm - they try to make a hit record.

• Advertisement

More sound tonight (by the way science cannot make a song average enough to be a likely hit) with Sound Waves: The Symphony of Physics 1/2 The science behind the sounds we're familiar with and the sounds we normally can't hear at 9 PM

Monday 9 PM

Britain in Focus: A Photographic History
    1/3 Exploring how the new art of photography developed in 19th-century Britain.
    View Programme information

Tuesday 10 PM

Storyville Killing for Love
    A compelling murder mystery, fuelled by a passionate young love affair.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Haysom

Wednesday 9 PM

The Man Who Shot Tutankhamun
    The story of photographer Harry Burton, who documented the Tutankhamun excavation.

Thursday 9 PM

Sound Waves: The Symphony of Physics
    2/2 The messages sound waves carry and how they help us understand the world around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone watch the roots remake?

i thought it was poor

Nope, saw it in 1978!

The Storyville Doc 'Murder in Italy' looks interesting (tonight at 10pm) this is the kind of meaty investigation they do very well
    Documentaries broadcast under the Storyville marque are almost always absorbing and this is no exception. It’s a retelling of the investigation into the 2010 murder, in the alpine village in Lombardy, of 13-year-old Yara Gambirasio. The story gripped Italy for years – not merely the crime itself, but the hunt for the perpetrator, which involved what might have been the largest DNA manhunt in history, with thousands of samples taken.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/mar/13/mondays-best-tv-storyville-in-italy-broadchurch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Enjoying Follow the Money Season 2 so far...

Wednesday 9 PM Raleigh bike story.

Detectorists will return!
    Mackenzie Crook’s Detectorists is to return for a third series, the BBC has announced.

Filming will take place this summer for six half-hour episodes to air later this year.

Toby Jones will return as Lance and Rachael Stirling as Becky, the wife of Crook’s character Crook.

The star, who also writes and directs the the BBC Four series said: ‘After a year away I decided I missed my friends in Danebury so much that I had to go back to the world of Detectorists one more time to see what Andy and Lance could dig up.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2017/03/31/27201/mackenzie_crook_unearths_more_detectorsits

Next Tuesday is surrealism night.

"Department Q: The Keeper of Lost Causes".

It's a film but there have been 2 more in the series.

Nikolaj Lie Kaas (The Killing 3 & Follow the Money) plays Police inspector Carl Mørck is put in charge of a department of cold cases.

BBC4 first showed the above last October. They are repeating it next Saturday and will follow it with a first showing of the second film in the series on Saturday 15th.

It was ok but I won't watch it a second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

BBC4 first showed the above last October. They are repeating it next Saturday and will follow it with a first showing of the second film in the series on Saturday 15th.

It was ok but I won't watch it a second time.

That was the one with a woman kept captive in a xxxxxxxxxxxxx zzzzzzz?
    I was very disappointed they only showed one episode, before starting on The Young Moltalbano. (Which was amusing, but poor fare compared to some of the other Euro cop stuff)

Advertisement