Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

alta stare wrote: »
    Is there any plans for it to go 24hr?

No need, due to budget cuts it's full of repeats as it is :( and whether you are watching via Sky, Freesat or FTA there are plenty of options to record what you want. It's still a great channel but the budget cuts of the last few years are biting.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd rather donate to BBC4 than pay my TV-I-wouldn't-watch-in-a-fit licence.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No need, due to budget cuts it's full of repeats as it is :( and whether you are watching via Sky, Freesat or FTA there are plenty of options to record what you want. It's still a great channel but the budget cuts of the last few years are biting.

Funny you should mention the budget, BBC Four is showing its first new feature drama since Richard and Liz about 4 years ago this Christmas. Eric, Ernie and Me about Eddie Braben who was Morecambe and Wise's primary writer - Fri 29th Dec 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It's still a great channel but the budget cuts of the last few years are biting.

The cuts bit so hard, BBC3 vanished completely .....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm very pleased to see this getting a full series, although I'm surprised it's going to BBC Four (especially as the Christmas Special is on BBC Two)
    Vic & Bob’s Big Night Out is to return for four new episodes.

BBC Four has commissioned the new shows off the back of a BBC Two comeback special that wil be aired over Christmas.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2017/12/15/38689/vic_and_bob_are_having_more_big_nights_out

On the other hand, it's another ancient series commissioned for a recent comeback by BBC (following Open All Hours and Porridge, and a series of one off revivals in 2016). It must be disheartening for young writers trying to get shows commissioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah, deadly, I thought there was just a one off Vic & Bob show.

I agree with Ross Noble, Bob Mortimer is the funniest person in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I agree with Ross Noble, Bob Mortimer is the funniest person in the world.
    I disagree. He and Vic are probably the least funny people in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I like Bob a lot more when he’s not doubling up with Vic. His turns on Wilty? still make me laugh no matter how many times I watch them.

Alun wrote: »
    I disagree. He and Vic are probably the least funny people in existence.

You are wrong and here's Sitting on the Dock of the Bay to prove it!

failing that sheer violence

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You are wrong and here's Sitting on the Dock of the Bay to prove it!
    Not even a snigger, sorry.

• Advertisement

New stuff and selected repeats over the festive period

Sat 19:00 All Aboard! The Sleigh Ride part of the Slow Television strand.

Sunday 21:00 The Mystery of Edwin Drood feature drama based on the unfinished mystery tale by Dickens, screenwriter Gwyneth Hughes ties up the lose ends.

Wednesday 20:00 The Two Ronnies An Old-Fashioned Christmas Mystery followed by 1982 Xmas Special.

Thursday 22:00 The Galaxy Britain Built: Droids, Darth Vader and Lightsabers
    Celebrating the behind-the-scenes British contribution to the original Star Wars.

Thursday 23:00 Hollywood's Master of Myth: Joseph Campbell - the Force Behind Star Wars

Thursday 23:40 Alexander Armstrong's Real Ripping Yarns (the inspirations
    for the classic 70s series)

Saturday 20:00 James May's Toy Stories Action Man at the Speed of Sound

Saturday 21:00 James May: My Sisters' Top Toys

Sunday - 21.00 Its MR James and ghosts all the way. The usual suspects.

Monday 00.00 Christopher Lee's Ghost Stories for Christmas
    Series 1, The Stalls of Barchester
    1/4 A fearful tale of intrigue, murder and the haunted Stalls of Barchester. (R)

Monday 00:30 Christopher Lee's Ghost Stories for Christmas
    Series 1, A Warning to the Curious
    4/4 A horrific account of the discovery of the last of the legendary East Anglian Crowns. (R)

Monday 19:00 The Royal Opera: Puccini's La boheme (cos it's BBC Four and not BBC One!)

Tuesday 20:00 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures
    2017: The Language of Life, Say It with Sound followed by parts two and three Wed and Thurs

Wednesday 21:00 Turtle, Eagle, Cheetah: A Slow Odyssey 90 minutes on the back of a Turtle, and Eagle and a Cheetah (not sure how the latter is part of the slow season narrative!)

Friday 21:00 Eric, Ernie and Me
    How Eddie Braben transformed Morecambe & Wise into the nation's most beloved entertainers.

Friday 22:00 Elvis: The Rebirth of the King
    Film arguing that Elvis reached his artistic peak in the early years of his Vegas period.

Saturday 21:00 Spiral Series 6, Episode 1 :)

Saturday 22:00 Spiral Series 6, Episode 2

Saturday 23:05 A Year in the Life of a Year
    2017 A spoof take on the year's cultural events, entertainment smashes and other things. Standing in for Charlie Brooker.

Sunday - Detectorists series 3 all evening from 10 PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Watching The Sleigh Ride is becoming a tradition in our house now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Superb stuff. More slow TV over Christmas when you get the chance to savour it. Plus a slow season Cheetah. Nice one.

Final 6 Detectorists will win out over Jools this NYE

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just finished 'The Dectectorists' third season there. What a wonderful show and a superb series finale. Such charm and genuine good nature - believable characters who you really root for. Pretty much faultless.
    And the finale was one of the few times dust got in my eyes this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The bridge season 4 according to Sofia helin ‘s Facebook fan page is being shown at the end of this month on the bbc

Spiral is 12 eps so that's 6 weeks, it can't start until Feb 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

Spiral is 12 eps so that's 6 weeks, it can't start until Feb 10th.

BBC4 have lost it to BBC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Yeah I think it did say bbc2

BBC Two? :mad: It clearly wont be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

ixoy wrote: »
    Just finished 'The Dectectorists' third season there. What a wonderful show and a superb series finale. Such charm and genuine good nature - believable characters who you really root for. Pretty much faultless.
    And the finale was one of the few times dust got in my eyes this year...

We watched this on New Year's Eve. Wonderful, utterly wonderful. A great way to start the New Year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

OldRio wrote: »
    We watched this on New Year's Eve. Wonderful, utterly wonderful. A great way to start the New Year.

Watching it now , great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

You'll know things are getting out of hand if amazon ads for the CTX 3030 start following you around.

Nice machine mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Maybe the wrong thread.
    But can anyone fill me in on what happened in "I know who you are" when Eva was walking to her car at Eli's allotment? I got signal back just at the scene saying she had been burned in the crash.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It didn't show what happened, if I recall. But you'd imagine he didn't let her make it to the car alive, especially when she had discovered the scarecrow was dressed in a reversible coloured tracksuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭billbond4

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bredabe wrote: »
    Maybe the wrong thread.
    But can anyone fill me in on what happened in "I know who you are" when Eva was walking to her car at Eli's allotment? I got signal back just at the scene saying she had been burned in the crash.

As I recall...
    We see him appear to stab her with something and she falls to the ground. I believe it is open to interpretation whether it was a knife or some needle to drug her.

Modus 2 follows Spiral.

Kim Cattrall joins the cast as the US President who disappears while on a visit to Stockholm

I have now reached the point where I can no longer remember which Scandi Noir I have seen or not.

If anyone wants to watch the first series of Modus, BBC4 are repeating it in its graveyard slot the week after next.

Three episodes starting at 1.50am on Monday 19th Feb.
    Two episodes from 2.20am on Tuesday 20th.
    Two episodes from 2.15am on Wednesday 21st.
    And the last episode at 3.10am on Thursday 22nd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I can't wait for BBC 2 any longer I acquired the first 6 episodes of The Bridge, just watched the first few minutes of ep1 it looks very good.

Advertisement