Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

Is Cardinal any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dball wrote: »
    Is Cardinal any good?
    I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Bredabe

dball wrote: »
    Is Cardinal any good?

I think it has a Nordic Noir feel, that said I thought it was a bit meh! but not the worst for mid-summer viewing.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    The first series of Cardinal is repeated late evening on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday in advance of the new series starting next month when Hidden finishes.
    Cardinal: Black Fly Season: Saturday 4th August, 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone catch the Mechanical Monsters programme a few days ago? It was about 19th century inventions. I thought it was very good. Didn't realise Ireland once had the world's most powerful telescope in Offaly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I though everyone knew about Birr. I probably saw that before (I tend to work on the principle that if it's about sciences/engineering and on BBC Four I've seen it at least once!)

BBC Fours subtitled drama slot looks like getting a bit more exotic with their new Spanish 16th century era title coming up, can hardly find any reviews for it but the ones I have read seem very enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I though everyone knew about Birr..

Its also an interesting fact that a Mary Ward, who was a cousin of the Rosses, and a visitor to Birr Castle was a very early experimentalist with photography, as well as an Astronomer, scientist and Author.
    She was also the first person in the world to be killed in a motor accident, when she was thrown from an experimental steam car her cousins had built.

She had a darkroom in a wing of the castle, and after her death it was shut up, and forgot about.
    Over 100 years later, it was rediscovered exactly as she had left it the day of her death.

Birr is well worth a visit.

What a life! :D The Birr Castle/Observatory is surely the only reason I'd visit Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Missed first episodes of Cardinal s2, is there any way to see ep's 1 & 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

gingergirl wrote: »
    Missed first episodes of Cardinal s2, is there any way to see ep's 1 & 2?

Available for another three weeks on the iPlayer...

... so obviously you'd have to travel to the UK, and buy a TV licence. :|

• Advertisement

The last two episodes of Cardinal are on this Saturday.

The following weekend BBC4 are showing the Proms live.

And on Saturday 1st September La Peste (The Plague) starts.

It's a six part Spanish thriller set in Saville in 1587.

It seems that a second series has been commissioned for next year.

Looks like an interesting programme on BBC Four tonight at 9pm. Kidnapped: A Georgian Adventure:
    In 1728, 12-year-old James Annesley was snatched from the streets of Dublin and sold into slavery in America - the victim of a wicked uncle hell-bent on stealing his massive inheritance. Dan Cruickshank traces James's astonishing journey from the top table of 18th century society to its murky depths. The story, which helped inspire Robert Louis Stevenson's book Kidnapped, reveals some disturbing home truths that cast a shadow over the century of the Enlightenment.

It will be repeated at 2am as well.

Absorbing tale, would make a good book ;) Not sure Dublin's tourist office will be too thrilled.

Really enjoyed the programme. James' father's side of the family were awful. And I just found out that Annesley Bridge in Dublin is named after not James but that nightmare uncle of his:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annesley_Bridge

Wonder would the folks of Fairview consider rededicating the bridge to the nephew rather than the uncle? Nice bit of publicity for the area and the good thing is they'd be able to keep calling it the same thing. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Anyone watching Andrew Marr's history of the world? It jumps around a lot, but it's fascinating stuff...

9 pm Secret Life of the Landfill is I think a new programme. Should be worth a rummage!

Plague starts tonight with the usual double header

Cyclepath wrote: »
    Anyone watching Andrew Marr's history of the world? It jumps around a lot, but it's fascinating stuff...

Staying in the same place or with the same time period for more than a few minute segment is soooo passé. Civilisations was shocking for this, especially the Schama eps. An hour on "de colouredy arty things", for example. How is that a sensibly scoped topic!?

Set your videos for a 1967 doc about computers/AI with Issac Azimov. 1 am it should be on much earlier.

Set your videos for a 1967 doc about computers/AI with Issac Azimov. 1 am it should be on much earlier.

It was kinda interesting! Major plusbox-terror from their whole "AI season" being crammed into two evenings.

• Advertisement

At the end of The Plague this evening they had a promo for the six part Aussie drama Mystery Road which stars Aaron Pedersen as Aboriginal Detective Jay Swan.

It starts in the Saturday slot in a fortnight (22 Sept).

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I hope the series is better than the film of the same name, which wasn't up to much.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    It was kinda interesting! Major plusbox-terror from their whole "AI season" being crammed into two evenings.

Or was it "AI Night", with overspill?

Either way, caught up now. Especially enjoyed Jim Al-Khalili's "Joy of" piece. No surprise there, I generally find his Now the Science Bits to be excellent value.

At the end of The Plague this evening they had a promo for the six part Aussie drama Mystery Road which stars Aaron Pedersen as Aboriginal Detective Jay Swan.

It starts in the Saturday slot in a fortnight (22 Sept).

I caught the first two episodes last night. I thought it was compelling enough. The daughter showing up seemed fairly contrived as a way to give the Detective something to worry about. The dynamic between him and the head cop seems a bit off too. I'll stick with it.

I haven't seen the movie.

Mystery Road.

Similarly the missing cattle as a way to reveal the bike accident. A large rancher with a hellicopter wouldn't need two cops on horses to help search for cattle.

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next two episodes.

The late Jessica Falkholt finished filming this shortly before her death in a car accident. She plays Genevieve, the pillion passenger on the quad bike that found the abandoned ute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I liked it, but then I'm a sucker for those sort of settings, I love Longmire for the same reason. It was a bit roughly hewn alright, the ill-adjusted daughter (and the mother's white, so why is the daughter darker than her father?)

Still, I love stuff like the kids with the really aboriginal accents. Love those. And the scenery. Fantastic.

Mystery Road.

*Slight Spoiler for for last Saturday*

OK so there is the original film (released 2013) which I have seen and enjoyed. It has been shown on BBC4 previously - it has no bikers in it.

Then there is a sequel called "Goldstone" (released 2016) which has not yet been on BBC and I have not yet seen - but it does have biker baddies in it.

Then there is the series (released 2018) currently on Saturdays. Last Saturday Jays daughter had a small encounter with "bikers" which would appear to reference the second film.

BBC4 has actually scheduled "Goldstone" for 9pm Saturday October 13th when the series has finished.

I would have though that "Goldstone" should have been shown before the series started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I saw episodes 3 and 4 of Mystery Road the other night. It is worth watching, plenty of the usual cop cliches but the location and its scenery are beautiful. The story is progressing nicely and some good acting in it too.

I spent a week in the Northern Territory a few years back and it is a lovely place to see.

Just finished watching the final two episodes of Mystery Road. Some silliness in places but I didn't figure out the culprit and thought it was a nice finale.

• Advertisement

54 Hours. A 4 hour limited series is based on a 1988 hostage crisis that turned into a human tragedy and a police and media fiasco.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bbc-54-hours-german-hostage-drama-1202853388/
    Next Saturday at 9pm there is a film "Goldstone" which is a sequel to the original Mystery Road film.

54 Hours starts on Saturday 20th October at 9pm.

Advertisement