Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

A new half-hour comedy-drama series starts next Tuesday at 10pm.

"There She Goes" stars David Tennant and Jessica Hynes as the parents of a nine-year-old girl with severe learning disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does every show on the BBC now have to have a trans or lesbian or disability angle to get commissioned?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Does every show on the BBC now have to have a trans or lesbian or disability angle to get commissioned?

no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Course it does

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

brian_t wrote: »
    Next Saturday at 9pm there is a film "Goldstone" which is a sequel to the original Mystery Road film.

54 Hours starts on Saturday 20th October at 9pm.

I saw Goldstone. Well worth a watch. Same main character Jay and the same Aboriginal theme of land and murder. Some beautiful scenery again especially the last scene.

The ending is a little odd, like there would be another film. You don't know what exactly happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some beautiful scenery again especially the last scene.
    That creek wandering in between the rocks was pretty, yes, but the rest of the place was just mind numbingly desolate and far from beautiful IMO.

Alun wrote: »
    That creek wandering in between the rocks was pretty, yes, but the rest of the place was just mind numbingly desolate and far from beautiful IMO.

Different strokes for different folks.
    I thought the overhead shots were great. It gave you a feeling for its vastness.

Any idea where I could watch Mystery Road, the 2013 film, on which the previous shows were sequels to.

It seems to be on Netflix UK but I have the US version.

Google Play or Rakuten don't have it.

54 Hours. A 4 hour limited series is based on a 1988 hostage crisis that turned into a human tragedy and a police and media fiasco.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bbc-54-hours-german-hostage-drama-1202853388/

54 Hours starts tomorrow and finishes next Saturday.

Series 7 (4x 90 mins) of the Swedish crime drama Beck seems to be the next occupant of that timeslot starting on Saturday 3rd November .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have the BBC moved away from the European mystery dramas? I enjoyed Se Quien Eres and Black Lake last year. Maybe they reckon Brexit is filling that gap. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sunday 9 PM The Ghan - The Great Australian Train Journey

A three hour trek across the subcontinent from Adelaide to Darwin via Alice Springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A three hour trek across the subcontinent from Adelaide to Darwin via Alice Springs.

Actually on 8pm to 11pm

It starts at 8 pm.

It's more slow TV. Apparently there is a 17 hour version.

My Freesat box is very stupid sometimes - it hasn't worked out the clocks have gone forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

My Freesat box is very stupid sometimes - it hasn't worked out the clocks have gone forward.

Have you cold booted it?

Yes! The EPG is fine but the record list shows 9 pm as I planned it before the hour went. I'm going to reschedule it just in case it doesn't react to the live EPG information correctly though it should really. Oddly Little Drummer Girl on BBC One planned correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yes! The EPG is fine but the record list shows 9 pm as I planned it before the hour went. I'm going to reschedule it just in case it doesn't react to the live EPG information correctly though it should really. Oddly Little Drummer Girl on BBC One planned correctly.

Pulled the plug? Not the same as a software restart. It should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Love a bit of slow tv, so The Ghan sounds great
    An Australian first foray into the 'Slow TV' movement, this is an immersive journey on Australia's most iconic railway that reveals - in real time - the stunning topographical vistas and dramatic palette changes from Adelaide to Darwin, while unpacking our Indigenous, multicultural and social history in the most surprising way. The train line and subsequent development of central Australia and the growth of Darwin, Alice Springs and Port Augusta can be attributed to local Indigenous communities' knowledge of surviving the harsh desert, as well as early immigrants, including Europeans, Chinese and the Afghan cameleers 'The Ghan' is named after.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I know what a cold boot is! Bloody hell I'll need to watch this to calm me down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Nearly there. Sat through 160 minutes of it so far. Time to relax, and time to think. Bowie at Glastonbury friday night, and now this. What a wonderful channel BBC Four is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yep. I agree with you. BBC Four is a wonderful channel; especially for Slow TV. The Ghan Train Journey was just a fantastic program from start to finish. The scenery out of it was just incredible. Everything about it was perfect. The animations that came up during this program was quite informative & executed beautifully.

54 Hours starts tomorrow and finishes next Saturday.

Series 7 (4x 90 mins) of the Swedish crime drama Beck seems to be the next occupant of that timeslot starting on Saturday 3rd November .

Anyone else watch this? My god a total **** up of epic proportions, it's a toss up as to which body of men was the most wretched - hostage takers, media or police. If it hadn't been a real event you'd have doubted it could have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Anyone else watch this? My god a total **** up of epic proportions, it's a toss up as to which body of men was the most wretched - hostage takers, media or police. If it hadn't been a real event you'd have doubted it could have happened.

Watched it in horror. I remember the sorry saga, was 21 at the time.
    What I didn't remember was the atrocious incompetence of the authorities only the fact that the media played an unsavoury part. The commercial TV stations were only a few years old at the time and certainly set themselves apart from the public stations. Mind boggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Found 54 Hours very absorbing. Moved along at a great pace. I wasn't aware of the tragedy before the programme.

Was saddened to learn that Degowski, who shot dead the Italian teenager Emanuele De Giorgi, was freed from prison earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I just read that Spiral is back on BBC4 but no date was given - does anybody know? I can't seem to find a date but from the way this article was written it sounded like it had already started?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I can't see season 7 on the BBC site so maybe that's wrong.
    It was the Guardian TV section. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Must be a re-run of 6 - it first ran in Feb on BBC4 I think.

Nate

volchitsa wrote: »
    I can't see season 7 on the BBC site so maybe that's wrong.
    It was the Guardian TV section. Odd.

There are 4 episodes of Beck to come so that makes December 1st the next available Saturday.

Edit :
    As far as I can see series 7 is not due to air on French TV until next year.

Vic & Bob’s Big Night Out.

The new series will start on Wednesday November 28 at 10 pm.

The trailers already on BBC4 look good.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise this was coming back - House of Fun was unfairly treated by BBC Two.

Advertisement