Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I know this is the BBC4 thread but Peter Jackson’s new documentary about WW1 ‘They Shall not Grow Old’ is on BBC2 tonight at 9.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I know this is the BBC4 thread but Peter Jackson’s new documentary about WW1 ‘They Shall not Grow Old’ is on BBC2 tonight at 9.30pm.

It was a great documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    The Sinner starts on BBC4 on Saturday 1st December at 9 pm with a double-bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

also available on notflix, watched this about a year ago.
    Not bad,

not great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I thought The Sinner was pretty decent, both seasons are completely different stories with the common denominator being Bill Pullman plays a good role as the troubled lead investigator. Would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Next Thursday... :D
    TV Cream wrote:
    21.00 Tomorrow’s World Live
    Well, no Pops tonight, but don’t worry as another aspect of the classic Thursday night takes centre stage. BBC4 seems to be becoming the home of the telly revival as after the Whistle Test special earlier this year, now it’s time for an equally cherished Beeb staple to return to our screens for one night only. Looks like it should be great fun too, as Maggie Philbin and Howard Stableford are our hosts, and live in the studio they’ll be joined by many of the people who appeared on it when it was going concern to look back at the future and doubtless dust off some fantastic clippage. They’ll also be joined by BBC4 regular Hannah Fry to give the latest technology the Tomorrow’s World treatment, and it should be a hugely entertaining affair and a suitable tribute, long overdue given the original run more or less petered out. The big question, though, is which of the many brilliant theme tunes are they going to use?

Well, Maggie and Howard both presented TW during the '80s, when Richard Denton and Martin Cook's radiophonic tune and Paul Hart's trumpet fanfare were used. For many, however, *this* is *the* TW theme - along with *the* TW title sequence... :D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema starts on Tuesday at 9pm.

First up romcoms, followed by heist movies, coming-of-age stories, science fiction and horror.
    I enjoyed this series. There is a follow up on the Thursday before Christmas (December 20th) called Mark Kermode's Secrets of Xmas Cinema.

The Bishop's Wife starring Cary Grant and Loretta Young is on after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Next Thursday... :D
    TV Cream wrote:
    21.00 Tomorrow’s World Live
    Well, no Pops tonight, but don’t worry as another aspect of the classic Thursday night takes centre stage. BBC4 seems to be becoming the home of the telly revival as after the Whistle Test special earlier this year, now it’s time for an equally cherished Beeb staple to return to our screens for one night only. Looks like it should be great fun too, as Maggie Philbin and Howard Stableford are our hosts, and live in the studio they’ll be joined by many of the people who appeared on it when it was going concern to look back at the future and doubtless dust off some fantastic clippage. They’ll also be joined by BBC4 regular Hannah Fry to give the latest technology the Tomorrow’s World treatment, and it should be a hugely entertaining affair and a suitable tribute, long overdue given the original run more or less petered out. The big question, though, is which of the many brilliant theme tunes are they going to use?

Well, Maggie and Howard both presented TW during the '80s, when Richard Denton and Martin Cook's radiophonic tune and Paul Hart's trumpet fanfare were used. For many, however, *this* is *the* TW theme - along with *the* TW title sequence... :D:);)

I thought this was good, nice archive clippage with lots of the old presenters back in the studio doing a nice job and failing with the live experiments just like the old days

Maybe they could bring it back for a monthly show, in the same slot as The Sky At Night

I was reminded of an obscure LWT comedy 'Not With A Bang', where Judith Hann, in a spoof Tomorrow's World, accidentally wiped out almost the entire population of Earth in the first few minutes. Bugger!

I watched The Sinner this evening and I see that BBC4 are teasing this Christmas's Slow TV programme.

Last year Norwegian TV spent 168 hours, covering live, 1,000 reindeer as they traveled to pastures new.

"All Aboard: The Great Reindeer Migration" is a 2 hour version which will be on Christmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Norway must have a channel just for these epics. Maybe someone could turn E4 into slow tv :)

Enjoyed the opening pair of Sinner episodes, felt as if the writers/directors are seeking a sort of David Lynch "lite" vibe. Even the music has a touch of the Angelo Badalamenti's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It was a great documentary.

Missed it.:( Is it repeated?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Missed it.:( Is it repeated?
    Not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I watched The Sinner this evening and I see that BBC4 are teasing this Christmas's Slow TV programme.

Last year Norwegian TV spent 168 hours, covering live, 1,000 reindeer as they traveled to pastures new.

"All Aboard: The Great Reindeer Migration" is a 2 hour version which will be on Christmas Eve.

I missed episode 1 & 2 and can’t locate them on Netflix, anyone know where they can be viewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

solerina wrote: »
    I missed episode 1 & 2 and can’t locate them on Netflix, anyone know where they can be viewed?

Iplayer?

Iplayer?

Thanks but I can’t access the bbc player !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

Netflix

dball wrote: »
    Netflix

It wasn’t there when I looked yesterday, only season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

solerina wrote: »
    It wasn’t there when I looked yesterday, only season 2.

Just checked Season 1 of The Sinner "Cora" is still available on Netflix, try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have US netflix and both seasons are on it.
    Maybe solerina has the uk version.

Edit: you need to click on the tab 'The Sinner - Julian' and it gives you an option to select Cora.

Just caught up with The Deminer AKA Hurt Locker Hero part of the Storyville season. Major Fakhir Ibrahim was an amazing driven man you can only admire his low tech fearless work. Must have saved thousands of lives in a decade of war.

• Advertisement

Christmas on Four - new stuff only.

FRIDAY 21:00 The Sound of Movie Musicals with Neil Brand Episode 1

Sunday 22:00 - A Christmas Carol Simon Callow's one man version

Wednesday 21:00 Digging for Britain Series 7, Iron Age Revealed 4/4
    Wednesday 22:00 Vic & Bob's Big Night Out Series 1, Episode 4/4

Thursday - 21:00 Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema (followed by The Bishops Wife)

Friday - 20:00 Fleetwood Mac: A Musical History Well-known fans pay tribute to Fleetwood Mac with a selection of greatest hits.
    Friday - 21:00 The Sound of Movie Musicals with Neil Brand Episode 2

Saturday - 23:35 Dreaming of a Jewish Christmas (the Jewish songwriters of Tin Pan Alley)

Sunday - 21:30 The Secret Story of the BBC Christmas Tapes
    The story of the blooper-filled BBC Christmas tapes since their first appearance in 1978.
    Sunday - 22:00 Bros: After the Screaming Stops.

Monday - 20:00 All Aboard! The Great Reindeer Migration (more slow telly)
    Monday - 22:00 - The Dead Room Christmas ghost story with radio theme

Tuesday - 19:00 The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake

Wednesday - 20:00 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2018: Who Am I?, Where Do I Come From? 1/3

Thursday - 20:00 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2018: Who Am I?, What Makes Me Human? 2/3

Friday - 20:00 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2018: Who Am I?, What Makes Me, Me? 3/3
    Friday - 21:00 The Sound of Movie Musicals with Neil Brand Episode 3/3

As you can tell there's loads of repeats!

Trapped, the Icelandic murder mystery (the ferry in the Fjord one) is back on er Icelandic TV so hopefully Four will have it in the late winter spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bros: After the Screaming Stops is the must watch doc of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that music in the movies documentary is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Definitely, but possibly not in the way they intended, more in a Spinal tap, David Brent type of way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

two part doc on tonight & tomorrow @ 9

Waco: Madman or Messiah
    In 1993, Mt. Carmel Ranch outside Waco, Texas, was the site of the deadliest siege in American history. A 51-day standoff with federal agents ended in tragedy, all at the hands of charismatic cult leader David Koresh.

Now, a new group of Branch Davidians is living on the same property under a new leader, Charles Pace. His goal: to repopulate the Branch of Davidian sect before the coming apocalypse.

This two-part feature documentary weaves a current-day narrative with the story of Koresh and his doomed followers. It is now 25 years since the Waco tragedy took place. The programme combines interviews with survivors on location at Mt. Carmel Ranch, some of whom have never spoken publicly before, as well as family, friends and key ATF/FBI officers, along with dramatic reconstructions of past events.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

fryup wrote: »

I thought it was incredible , they were so intense in a utterly hilarious way

• Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fryup wrote: »

Was that a Neil Brand one?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Brand

His documentaries are class.

His BBC radio podcasts as part of The Film Programme are available here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r5jt/episodes/downloads

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No mention of the bass player was a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No mention of the bass player was a bit strange.

Ken

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement