Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭brian_t

No mention of the bass player was a bit strange.
    The digital and Blu-ray releases include behind-the-scenes extras including dinner with Bros and an interview with ex Bros bassist Craig Logan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bros:_After_the_Screaming_Stops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Definitely, but possibly not in the way they intended, more in a Spinal tap, David Brent type of way

I enjoyed it. However it was a three hour job and they could easily have made it two hours. Tended to stretch just a little. Still very good. The survivors still committed to the cause, still bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two things to keep an eye out for - Drums, Guitar, Bass part one with the ever watchable Stuart Copeland on er drums Friday 9 PM and then on Sunday also at 9 Mark Cousins documentary on Awesome Welles which is about the mans cultural hinterland rather than his films per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

One aspect of BBC Four that has become noticeable in recent months is that apart from the music programmes on Fridays, the rest of the schedule is being padded out with repeats, with very few new series appearing - are the Beeb quietly running down the channel before axing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Definitely, but possibly not in the way they intended, more in a Spinal tap, David Brent type of way

Not at all, I thought it pretty great and not in a laughing at them way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

One aspect of BBC Four that has become noticeable in recent months is that apart from the music programmes on Fridays, the rest of the schedule is being padded out with repeats, with very few new series appearing - are the Beeb quietly running down the channel before axing it?

I really hope not!!

This topic is being discussed on Digital Spy forums. I think it'll be killed off myself, the budget is continuing to be squeezed from an already low level. After a valiant attempt at multichannel diversity I think the beeb is going to end up back where it started - two channels but keeping the children's ones going as they do seem to be a success in that market plus there is pressure to have ad free space for children on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

They nearly killed off BBC 6 Music a few years back as well until a campaign by both the artists and the public saved it. Something similar might develop for BBC Four in due course, but hopefully it won't be required....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

More and more of the Scandi series seem to be only on 4 On demand ( or whatever it's called)

Just finished watching the Storyville Waco siege documentary. My goodness me, hard to know where to begin with that level of unquestioning belief and that the few adult survivors clearly have not changed of their views - Koresh was the son of god then, is the son of god now and there will be a reckoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    More and more of the Scandi series seem to be only on 4 On demand ( or whatever it's called)
    True. The last series of The Bridge went to BBC 2. The foreign drama was always the BBC 4 usp. Any sign of the final series of Spiral? Be interesting to see if that's left on 4 or moved to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i don't mind repeats on bbc4, lets face it..80% of TV's output these days is repeats anyway

Sardonicat wrote: »
    True. The last series of The Bridge went to BBC 2. The foreign drama was always the BBC 4 usp. Any sign of the final series of Spiral? Be interesting to see if that's left on 4 or moved to 2.

The final series of Spiral starts on French TV about now, but the good news is that they are starting to film a new final series!

Sardonicat wrote: »

The final series of Spiral starts on French TV about now, but the good news is that they are starting to film a new final series!
    You have no idea how happy you have just made me. I can't wait for the not final series to start here. I love that show. One of the best tv series of all time.

ZzXMpfc.jpg

Big fans of Spiral fans here, herself doesn't need to wait for subtitles though. Any word from BBC on Trapped season 2? Looking forward to it but net expecting it to to match season 1.

New Series starts tomorrow at 9pm.

American History's Biggest Fibs

Lucy Worsley reveals the myths and manipulations behind American history.

I didn't watch past the first two episodes of the first series of Black Lake so I am not following the second series.

The last two episodes are on this Saturday. On the following Saturday there is a programme called Son of Saul which I presume is the 2015 Hungarian film set in the Auschwitz concentration camp.

Son of Saul is excellent but it is a very tough watch.

On the first two Saturdays of February at 9pm will be the four-part Australian thriller drama series Safe Harbour.
    the series follows a group of friends who travel from Brisbane on a sailing holiday of a lifetime to Indonesia, who cross paths with a fishing boat overloaded with asylum seekers en route to Australia, which alters their lives forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_Harbour_(Australian_TV_series)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

brian_t wrote: »
    I didn't watch past the first two episodes of the first series of Black Lake so I am not following the second series.

The last two episodes are on this Saturday. On the following Saturday there is a programme called Son of Saul which I presume is the 2015 Hungarian film set in the Auschwitz concentration camp.

Black Lake is really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The end of Black Lake was bizarre. Seemed very contrived and felt as if they had changed their mind about the solution at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ah feck, I didn't realise there was a second series of Black Lake! When I saw it listed I figured it was the first season being repeated. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

ZzXMpfc.jpg

Spiral and Gomorrah two of the best tv shows on at the moment. cant wait. Gomorrah should be back later on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Black Lake was woeful sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep - I stayed with it to the end unfortunately. Lesson learned for future .

I didn't know there had been a first series but watched the first of the current run and decided it was slow, rambling, derivative nonsense anyway! As more channels scramble for the next Spiral/Wallander/Bridge they are turning up a lot of very average material.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I thought the first series was OK, nothing special, but watched it until the end. I've given up on this second series though, got to about episode 4, and got bored with it. It doesn't help that I want to throw a brick at the TV when that prick Ludo opens his mouth,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I didn't know there had been a first series but watched the first of the current run and decided it was slow, rambling, derivative nonsense anyway! As more channels scramble for the next Spiral/Wallander/Bridge they are turning up a lot of very average material.

Thats it. I heard the scandis have already moved on and are now doing other types of programming.

Advertisement