Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭brian_t

I've noticed that The High Country is repeated late Thursday night so both can be followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Cricket ffs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well cricket gave us this, kinda…

On wet summer afternoons in the 80s with fcuk all else to do and no other TV channels on, it was a break from Pages From Ceefax. (actually that could be a good band name)

Well (sigh) that video is from much later. Back in the day the all wore white and the commentator was Richie Benaud…

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Last night I watched the first episode of this (Law and Order). Have to say it completely exceeded my expectations, a gripping 80 minutes. Derek Martin was compelling as DI Pyall who alternated between being a determined hard-working cop, a moderately bent officer looking for an edge (every solved case has a convenient snout who gets reward money which he splits with Pyall) and outright extreme corruption looking for money from suspects to make charges disappear. A Don Beech-esque individual, for any The Bill fans.

And the supporting cast was great as well, if of it's time - a set of white middle-aged portly cops in ill-fitting suits using impenetrable slang and casual racism, and almost all of them on some sort of take.

There was perhaps some gaps in the plot, but possibly filled in at a later stage as I think the next episode tells the same story but from the villains side. Would recommend. Can definitely see why it caused a bit of an uproar when first shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭gipi

I've watched the second episode, and it does fill in a lot of the gaps - I kinda got lost in the first episode, it seemed very disjointed, but the second episode (from the villian's perspective) helped it make a lot of sense. Still have 2 more episodes to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Stewball

That repeat will likely include someone doing sign language in the corner of the screen.

Just something to consider if you're planning on recording it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

During the Olympics BBC4 on Saturday nights will be focused on repeats of classic light entertainment shows:

The collection will celebrate the BBC’s enduring TV heritage with episodes of The Generation Game and Blankety Blank, as well as Noel’s House Party, Bob’s Full House and the first episode of Strictly Come Dancing, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. The jam-packed three-night season will celebrate cherished BBC entertainment faces including Sir Bruce Forsyth, Sir Michael Parkinson and many more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2024/bbc-announces-season-of-classic-entertainment

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some strange 'retro' choices from BBC4 coming up… New Tricks? Seems a waste to air something shown not that long ago and often repeated on satellite channels.

At least something rare on Thursday 25th July:

Director Richard Eyre will introduce 'Country', Trevor Griffith's landmark piece from the Play for Today strand, which originally aired in 1981.
    The film is is set on the night of the Labour Party’s election victory in 1945 and stars Leo McKern, Wendy Hiller, James Fox and Penelope Wilton.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭brian_t

Country was actually last aired in Oct 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ngby

Advertisement