Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone watching the Abstract Art season? Some interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

BBC Four’s new six episode comedy series Detectorists will premiere on Thursday October 2nd at 10pm.
    Created by Mackenzie Crook, Detectorists follows Andy, a wannabe archaeologist who, alongside his friend Lance, spends time in muddy fields with a metal detector and a packed lunch, dreaming of finding that priceless Saxon hoard that will make them rich and cement their place in detecting history.
    http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/detectorists/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It gets repeated regularly but I thought The Secret World of Bob Monkhouse (next Sunday on BBC4, 9pm) was a fascinating programme.

Some great rare archive (from his own collection) and a nice retrospective of a fine comedian.

Not much new at the moment is there? And what there is tends to the arts and crafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Not much new at the moment is there? And what there is tends to the arts and crafts.

Storyville's been running for the past couple of Mondays.

• Advertisement

I want more series about box containers and jet engines! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I want more series about box containers and jet engines! :D

Reading a terrific book about box containers and shipping at the moment.

getimage.aspx?cat=default&class=books&isbn=9781846272639&quality=100&type=jpg&width=230&height=0&size=custom&resize=1

brian_t wrote: »
    BBC Four’s new six episode comedy series Detectorists will premiere on Thursday October 2nd at 10pm.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/detectorists/

Just watched the first part - I enjoyed that, possibly too much ;)

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/10/bbc-four-sets-uk-premiere-date-code/
    Australian drama series The Code will receive its UK premiere on BBC Four on Saturday October 11th at 9pm, it has been announced.

Created by Shelley Birse, The Code is set in the spectacular Australian landscape and tells the story of two very different brothers who unearth information that those at the highest levels of political power will kill to keep secret. The drama is produced by Playmaker and stars Lucy Lawless (Spartacus), Adam Garcia (Camp), David Wenham (Top Of The Lake) and Aden Young (Rectify)

Another chance to see ... Arena:Whatever Happened to Spitting Image? tonight at 10.30pm
    The satirical show Spitting Image began during Margaret Thatcher's government and lasted to the end of John Major's. The puppets themselves became almost as famous as the politicians they represented, and in 2000 were auctioned at Sotheby's. The programme traces where they now reside, and meets the caricaturists, mould-makers, writers, directors and the rest of the team who worked tirelessly to make the series a success. It also investigates what the show got right, what it got wrong, and whether its 17-year absence has left a hole in the modern broadcasting schedule. Includes contributions by Peter Fluck, Roger Law and John Lloyd

• Advertisement

Guess what is on at 9 pm tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Detectorists was fantastic, wasn't expecting any less considering Toby Jones was in it!

Just watched Part One - pretty good mix of politics, inter-personal dynamics, online media and things that go bump in the outback night intrigue.

Sherlock-esque visual influences abound, but no bad thing - its a good way of conveying often non visual info without slowing the action.

Edit - after part two I'm hooked, sure its a bit hokey with all manner of conspiratorial carry one but its very nicely made and move at a decent clip.

How Russian Won the Space Race new tonight at 9 pm, followed by the Spaceman of Afghanistan also new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

evilivor wrote: »
    BBC Four showing Edge of Darkness again - started last night and continues on following Sundays.

Edge of Darkness won the "Best Drama Series/Serial" award at the 1986 BAFTA Awards.

The next year 1987 the same award was won by The Life and Loves of a She-Devil.

Plenty of notice for this starting next week on Tuesday at 10.00pm.

It stars Patricia Hodge, Dennis Waterman and Julie T. Wallace. I remember watching it at the time but I haven't seen it since. I don't remember enough of it to comment further.

http://www9.tvcatchup.com/programme/476708/the-life-and-loves-of-a-she-devil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

brian_t wrote: »

The next year 1987 the same award was won by The Life and Loves of a She-Devil.

Plenty of notice for this starting next week on Tuesday at 10.00pm.

It stars Patricia Hodge, Dennis Waterman and Julie T. Wallace. I remember watching it at the time but I haven't seen it since. I don't remember enough of it to comment further.

http://www9.tvcatchup.com/programme/476708/the-life-and-loves-of-a-she-devil

Like you, I watched it at the time, and thought it was great. Must watch it this time around to see how it stands the test of time.

Feature length documentary about the Large Hadron Collider on Wednesday at 9pm. It was filmed over seven years and got good reviews, if you're into the Higgs Boson and all that ...

Particle Fever: The Hunt for the Higgs Boson
    Following six scientists during the launch of the Large Hadron Collider, marking the start-up of the biggest and most expensive experiment in history. Experts from more than 100 countries joined forces in pursuit of a single goal - to recreate conditions that existed just moments after the Big Bang and find the Higgs boson, potentially explaining the origin of all matter. Filmed over seven years, this documentary is a celebration of discovery and reveals the human stories behind an epic machine, providing an insight into a significant and inspiring scientific breakthrough as it happens

So long as it doesn't feature Brian Cox ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How Russian Won the Space Race new tonight at 9 pm

Absorbing programme it was

Skid X wrote: »
    Feature length documentary about the Large Hadron Collider on Wednesday at 9pm. It was filmed over seven years and got good reviews, if you're into the Higgs Boson and all that ...

Particle Fever: The Hunt for the Higgs Boson

I do enjoy a dollop of theoretical physics - how typical for the Higgs boson value to be observed at almost exactly halfway between multiverse and supersymmetry models - 125 gigaelectronvolts.

Keeps everyone in job :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Detectorists was fantastic, wasn't expecting any less considering Toby Jones was in it!

Detectorists is the best thing on TV at the moment.

Its Gothic season on BBC Four, and by way of a link excuse you can see a repeat of Europa Horror with Mark Gattiss at 10.20 pm tonight

Monday
    21.00 The Art of Gothic: Britain's Midnight Hour (one of three)
    22.30 Dracula (1958)

Tuesday
    22.00 The Life and Loves of a She Devil (the classic tv series)
    23.20 Supernatural anthology from 1977

Monday
    9 pm The Art of Gothic: Britain's Midnight Hour 2 of 3

10 pm The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Tuesday

9 pm Architects of the Divine: The First Gothic Age

10 pm The Life and Loves of a She Devil part 2

11 pm Supernatural episode 2 - Night of the Marionettes

Wednesday

9 pm Spider House - Alice Roberts gets close up with a house full of arachnids

10 pm The Swarm (1978) (what the ****?!)

The Detectorists has a been a delight, the best 30 minutes of humour since Toast of London, its the last one next week. Then a new sitcom Puppy Love starts - written by and stars The Thick of Its Joanna Scanlan

Interesting looking Storyville on Sunday Night (9pm)

Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds - Storyville
    Documentary chronicling magician James Randi's attempts to expose supposed faith healers, fortune-tellers and psychics who have borrowed tricks from magicians to swindle the masses. The programme examines his rivalry with spoon-bending illusionist Uri Geller, as well as how he exposed evangelist Peter Popoff's use of in-ear receivers in the 1980s

James Randi has been on the go a long time, I remember he had a series on ITV in the 1980s. Good to see he is still fighting the charlatans.

The Detectorists is over :( but its back in a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

brilliant sitcom, very well written

no profanity no vulgarity...just plain old humour

What? apart from a rare **** and quite a few ****s!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh ya, forgot about that

• Advertisement

Ooh Sunday night is retro TV science fiction and fact night!

9 PM Brian Cox: Space, Time & Videotape

10 PM Cosmos: A Personal Voyage

10.50 PM The Day After Tomorrow - Into Infinity - This is a pilot film made by Gerry Andersons company in 1975 for NBC, its aimed at children but with a Space 1999 budget and if nothing else it'll be a curio. You can spot a fair bit of the lunar adventure series in the cast, sets and general feel. This version (an 80 min print got wiped) was last broadcast at Christmas 1977 on BBC One.

11.40 PM The Day the Universe Changed - James Burke from 1985. Be interesting to see how much of the theories of 30 years ago still hold up.

Advertisement