Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begonia plug plants

• 17-11-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, I am planning my next summer bedding schemes, and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get non stop begonia plug plants next spring? there re some seed companies in the uk that do them but they don't post them to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I looked into this before but came up a blank. I'm going to raise my own from seed. Getting regular and mocha from T & M. Unless you could get them from the north but could be convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 christmasdiane

yes, I was considering growing from seed also, but might look into delivery from the north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lots of seeds on ebay and deliver to Ireland
    I grew my begonias last year from seed, was very easy, ended up with far far too many, seeds are like dust.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 christmasdiane

Good idea, did you use a heated propagator and what month did you start them?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I grew semperflorens (options mixed from t&m) the last few years. i used a heated propagator and started them in February. I have a greenhouse now so will start them in January this year and start putting them in the greenhouse probably march, bringing them in at night till nights warm up a bit. I don't want to pay for the heat in the GH. The non-stop begonias look much nicer, plus you can store the tubers for the following year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good idea, did you use a heated propagator and what month did you start them?:confused:

I started in March on a sunny southwest facing window and they took about three weeks to germinate. Once started they grew like crazy, i think i did about 5 thinnings in all

Next year i'm going to start in January to get a head start.

They germinated far slower initially than the Nasturtiums, Marigolds and Petunias for me so they will get planted first next year. That said once they did germinate i had far far too many.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Must try begonia in my propagator next year. Any other suggestions of plants i could start from seed for an east facing balcony? Coleus etc? Want to try be adventurous this year:)

Advertisement